Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wastegate removal '81 Turbo - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Wastegate removal '81 Turbo

Hi,  I have a suspect stuck wastegate.  Access to the 2 nuts is limited.  Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the unit with out stripping the exhaust system?  Man thanks for any advice.

• Gold FFM

Ummmm, I just undo the nuts!  Reasonable access with the right tools.  Only an issue if corrosion is really bad.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

When we removed the turbo from our '88, we had to cut a box wrench and WELD the two ends at 90 degrees to allow enough room to swing it. 😮

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks Steve

I did consider that yesterday.  Maybe ill do that when I go back to it.  Thanks

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ummmm, I just undo the nuts!  Reasonable access with the right tools.  Only an issue if corrosion is really bad.

Thanks Sparky.  I feel like a bit of a twonk now as it is only two nuts.  It was just my initial look and putting spanners on the nuts immediately told me this was going to be a PITA.

@PhilW are you trying to remove the whole unit?

I am about to do this due to same issue.

I think you can undo the 4 bolts that hold the bottom half of the assy leaving the iron part where it is.

I believe this gives you access to the spring diaphragm and valve.

Edited by JimmytheTurbo

Well, took the four bolts out today.  1 sheared so was a bit of a pain but now out ok.  Diaphragm is absolutely fine.  Valve was stiff.  Freed up with WD40 very easily.  Will clean up some more and really ensure its totally free moving.  Ordered 4 new bolts and will reassemble.  Just conscious in my view the job is not complete as have not removed it completely. Will put that on the job list for the future.  What is important it will be now safe to drive from an overboost point of view.

One question is what sort of sealant is used on the joints during reassembly.  Something had been used previously.  Assuming it was done correctly, and should the shaft have any typr of lubricant applied that will tolerate the heat?

Thanks

16 hours ago, snowrx said:

That's what I used on mine, until it went to live in the attic.

How on earth did you get your car up in the attic? :hrhr:

• Haha 1

Cheers,

John W

Thanks Jimmy.  I may take you up on that as only need a smear.  Not sure when Ill next be up that way but also very busy at the moment too with work so progress will be slow, as always :)

59 minutes ago, JimmytheTurbo said:

Sure thing but If you need a dollop 🙂

Stick some in a dollop sized bag & post it to him 

Cheers,

John W

I had a look on Permatex's website and the MSDS and none of the example usages are for moving or sliding parts.  Its specified as an anti-seize compound for static parts such as nuts, studs exhausts etc.  Having said that, the main ingredient is graphite, so I guess it will be OK 

• 2 weeks later...