Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora NA Exhaust db Levels - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora NA Exhaust db Levels

Hi,

I am looking to change my Lotus Sports Exhaust, for something a bit louder. I don’t want too loud, either!

Anyway, I live near a very good custom exhaust builder, who has offered to make something to my specifications. Therefore I was looking for some comparisons.  

Does anyone have, or found, a list of exhaust options and the db levels? 

Thanks

Chris

If it helps, I had found this, but it’s not very well populated for db levels. 

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Exhausts_-_Evora

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Be careful buying an exhaust that has not been specifically developed for your model of car, especially for road use. I've had several cars ruined by so called experts supplying pipes that upset the NVH (noise, vibration harshness). 

Everyone has different expectations but do plenty of research so you don't make an expensive mistake. 

Justin 

I had a sports exhaust and cat by pass pipe done at a well known exhaust manufacturer (not a exhaust fitter or custom fabricator but the manufacturer). They don't supply to public but you can buy these through PNM Engineering.

36 minutes ago, jep said:

Be careful buying an exhaust that has not been specifically developed for your model of car, especially for road use. I've had several cars ruined by so called experts supplying pipes that upset the NVH (noise, vibration harshness). 

Everyone has different expectations but do plenty of research so you don't make an expensive mistake. 

Justin 

That’s a great point. I was thinking of a custom built one. Would that be best avoided?

I have a 2bular rear box and 3rd cat replacement pipe and very happy with the sound, combined with radium CAI. No problems with eml and passes Combe noise test at about 95db. I’m only just across the bridge if you want to hear it.

The other thing to watch out for is "drone". Nothing more irritating than this on a long dual/motorway drive.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I'd advise taking up offers to sample forum members cars. 

I'm no engineer but exhaust valving, baffling and construction is an art. Every model of car is different and you need to ensure any installation has been designed for your model of car. 

I had a Tubular exhaust on the Ford GT. Total rubbish, ruined the car. They got that one wrong. Before Lotus did a sports box for S1 Elise, I had a custom one and it was rubbish. It shook the car on over-run.

Justin 

1 hour ago, Harey said:

Thanks - That is what I am looking at, against a custom one.  Do you know how the 2bular compares to the Lotus Sports one?

Well I’ve preferred the sound of mine against the Lotus sports one - deeper sound and good, but not loud, burbles on overrun. Doesn’t drone at all, but for you to decide, you really need to hear it yourself.

Someone on MLOC was quizzing about ordering 2Bular system and they had difficulties getting hold of the guy (Jim?) and it took him several weeks of attempts to get a message replied ? 
I guess he busy but to me he maybe needs to up his admin to cope ?

I have a lotus sports exhaust but always wanted something with a bit more grunt and presence so not sure if I delete this cat thing will give me that result but still retain the current exhaust ?

2 hours ago, jep said:

Standard not that quiet outside but definitely is from the cabin. 

Jep, I think you are right, I’ve always wondered this. It sounds quite on idle, so maybe where I am getting the impression. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

I have a lotus sports exhaust but always wanted something with a bit more grunt and presence so not sure if I delete this cat thing will give me that result but still retain the current exhaust ?

I think most UK cars don't have the 3rd cat , and to get rid of the main ones requires new manifolds ... Plus then you need to fit a sports cat anyway for the MOT...

There are 2 main options. Go 2bular headers / larini  / Komotec etc and remove the oem manifold cats. You will then need a good Cat further down the system that will get you through the mot. This, route, if done correctly will free up the engine breathing and gain power. Will prob need a remap to get the best out of it. It will cost though!

cheaper option, and what I did, and the majority of owners, is to select a nice sounding and free flowing rear box and remove the 3rd cat, which is not necessary anyway to pass emissions test and mot, as there are still cats in the manifolds.

The 3rd cat in the later Evoras was removed anyway as it was not required for uk markets, I think US needed it.

Loads of options out there and loads of different price points. If money was no object, I would go full system, ie manifolds, down pipe, single decent sports cat and decent rear box.

My mod money is now in an Emira and my 2010 Evora will stay as is with decat and 2bular box…..first word problems, I know.

• Like 1

My 2010 NA had the Lotus Sport exhaust from new - the one that came with the sports pack.

I swapped the oem headers for 2bular ones, thus getting rid of the OEM cats that bake the engine. The engine ran significantly cooler as a result.

I had a 200cel sports cat where the stock third cat would be.

I ran the car in gently for 500 miles to allow the ECU to recalibrate. No issues. No problems. A lovely noise out of the exhaust, and much stronger pulling mid-range, and lovely burbles on the over run.

The headers option was not cheap, but for me, it was fantastic and ticked all my boxes.

That system has been in the car for 8 years with no issues, MIL lights, nothing.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I've got the Lotus sports exhaust on my 2010 NA. It doesn't have the link to the airbox so the port is permanently open. If I want to get the full experience of the sound from the exhaust I just wind down the windows. Lovely and costs nothing. 😘

• Gold FFM

On 06/12/2023 at 21:12, Cdm2018 said:

Someone on MLOC was quizzing about ordering 2Bular system and they had difficulties getting hold of the guy (Jim?) and it took him several weeks of attempts to get a message replied ? 
I guess he busy but to me he maybe needs to up his admin to cope ?

From what I recall of reading threads relating to exhausts and 2bular, I think Jim is more of a telephone contact kind of guy rather than an e-mail person, especially if he's up to his eyes in fabricating exhaust systems.

If I order an exhaust from Jim any time in the future, I'll be sure to ring him.

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png