Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 46 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

• Gold FFM

I wonder what using ultra-silly mode in a Tesla does to the range then? As well as long term battery life due to the very high load that is put on the batteries so quickly?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Just done an MPG exercise on my Passat Estate GTE PHEV. Knowing that I was due to undertake some long trips with the family of four and a boot packed full of luggage etc., I have just done 757 miles at a brim-to-brim average of exactly 50mpg. That included single trips of 277 miles, 271 miles, 127 miles and 66 miles, so only benefitting from a full battery at the start of each leg. That only left 16 miles of short journey battery only driving. To be fair 50mpg seems pretty impressive to me for a decent sized fully laden estate car over a combination of motorway, A and B roads. 

I often get 48mpg in my E class cabriolet on runs, and that's a big, heavy, car. I am just not convinced by the arguments for cars that are needed to do long journeys based on what many owners are saying.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

17 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I often get 48mpg in my E class cabriolet on runs, and that's a big, heavy, car. I am just not convinced by the arguments for cars that are needed to do long journeys based on what many owners are saying.

My Sportage PHEV was handed back to the Garage at 7644 miles. My average, including long trips where I couldn't run it purely on Electric, was 127MPG. Sorry to say @LotusLeftLotusRight Don't buy a German car they just aren't as good :P

• Love 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM
On 02/04/2023 at 19:37, Rambo said:

Hot off the press yesterday ..... 🤔

"New plans to allow electric cars to drive in both directions on one-way streets are set to become a reality in the UK. The move, which is being introduced to encourage electric car uptake, has the potential to significantly shorten journeys for drivers"

FsmzHG5WYAAunpo.jpeg

You'd have to hope it was an April Fools joke.

I can imagine some electric car driver going in the non-gazetted direction (can't say the wrong way) and a petrol car going in the gazetted direction.

Would we expect the entitled(?) electric car driver to give way to the petrol car going in the gazetted direction? What would the rule be?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

@Kimbers Yeah but you’re paying £174 per month (= £2088 per annum) more for your electricity than me! That’s equivalent to about 116 litres (25.5 gallons) of petrol per month, or 1275 miles per month (15300 miles per year) at my 50mpg. I only do about 6000 miles per year in that car.

Been in to see how far our RR is down/up on the build queue, had a chat about EV's, was told the whole group (they are a big group) will not accept a Tesla in p/ex.

Also looked at the list of things that you can order on your new car that will stop it being built as the chip shortage is still serious, a very very long list of options. 

2 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Been in to see how far our RR is down/up on the build queue, had a chat about EV's, was told the whole group (they are a big group) will not accept a Tesla in p/ex.

Also looked at the list of things that you can order on your new car that will stop it being built as the chip shortage is still serious, a very very long list of options. 

Mate, you can't give away Tesla's right now. I was watching a disposal auction from one of our competitors and he had 3 Teslas in the auction. 2 didn't get a single bid even at half their value and one had a bid of £15,000 behind its Trade price. We have a similar issue with a load of Polestars we bought. We have had to rerent them indefinately. Hopefully they will owe us nothing in about 10 years and we can scrap them!

• Sad 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

1 hour ago, Kimbers said:

Hopefully they will owe us nothing in about 10 years and we can scrap them!

Not very eco-friendly :(

1 minute ago, ChrisJ said:

Not very eco-friendly :(

No. Infact Electric cars are substantially less Eco Friendly at end of life than the evil Combustion engine models!

When we were arguing the pros and cons 3 years where were all the naysayers? I was battling the fan boys head on and most of this debacle was predicted, only for the Tesla fanatics to just keep pushing back on how everything was great in an electric world, looking past the build quality issues etc.

This whole EV thing has been handled like a scam.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Since it is such a known fact about their end-of-life nastiness, why are they being touted as the saviour of the planet?

The makers know this as well. I just can't understand why they are going to persevere with them at the expense of ICE?

• Like 1

Spotted this about what your Tesla can see all sorts of odd things, lets hope that this is not incorporated in the average EV and certainly not the Lotus ones. Big brother strikes again.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/tesla-staff-shared-sensitive-material-recorded-by-cameras-in-customers-cars-special-report/282450

part says...

Two ex-workers said that they were sometimes asked to look at images of customers in and around their homes, including in garages, during their normal course of work as data labellers.

This was while Tesla worked on its Autopilot system to stop cars’ confusion over objects such as garden hoses and shadows while backing out of garages.

One ex-employee was quoted as saying: ‘I sometimes wondered if these people know that we’re seeing that.’

Another said: ‘I saw some scandalous stuff sometimes, you know, like I did see scenes of intimacy, but not nudity.

• Sad 1

Went into another group outlet dealer today, don't think they want a Tesla in p/ex either.

Heavy batteries in electric vehicles could put multistorey car parks at risk of collapse, according to experts.

Chris Whapples, a structural engineer and parking consultant, said that there was “definitely potential” for older car parks “in poor condition to collapse”.

Electric vehicle batteries weigh about 500kg, meaning that electric cars tend to weigh significantly more than the equivalent petrol or diesel car. For example, the electric version of the Peugeot 208 weighs 1,530kg, compared with 1,153kg for the petrol engine version. The Volkswagen ID.3 weighs an average 1,830kg, compared with the Volkswagen Golf, which weighs 1,388kg.

Cheers,

John W