Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1998 Esprit GT3: MOT Failure - Headlamp beams scattered due to black reflectors? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1998 Esprit GT3: MOT Failure - Headlamp beams scattered due to black reflectors?

1998 Esprit GT3.  First MOT failure in 14 years (since ownership).

• Nearside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
  • Offside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
  • Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))

The MOT centre says that the light beam is scattered everywhere.  No sign of this last year.  He says that the back of the lights (presumably he means the reflectors) have gone black.

What is the fix for this, please?  New reflectors?  New headlamp units?  Repair the reflectors?  It is a small garage with no spare space so they want the car out of there asap.  Due to an issue out of my control (another garage), the road tax is expired too (it followed the MOT date) so the car is SORN, which rules out driving it anywhere.

Any idea how or why this has happened?

Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Probably best to just replace the headlamp units if they have degraded internally. From memory the original lamps are quite difficult to get now but PNM do a very good kit which includes all new lamps, SS backplates etc as those have a habit of rusting out too. For mine it was more cost effective to just swap out the lot for one of the PNM kits. They do an LED kit too if that's your thing. It's a very DIYable job if you're even a bit handy.

If you can't drive it and you want to do the work yourself, just get a local transport company to move it back home for you. Plenty about and I could recommend a lovely chap based in Waterlooville if you're stuck...

What the transport costs (probably £75) you'll easily save in labour if you fix it yourself.

• Like 2

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

I know there’s a road tax exemption to drive a car to a pre booked MOT, which i’ve done several times. I wasn’t so sure about making a return journey though if the test is failed and the car deemed unroadworthy or unsafe. Definitely worth checking that out.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Just to clarify here’s a quote from gov.uk website:-

When you can drive your vehicle

You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment.

• Like 1

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Sounds pretty clear. I just wonder how they view the driving of a car that's had any serious defects identified at the MOT and failed as a result?

Driving to the MOT I suppose ignorance is bliss and you could feasibly argue that you weren't aware of a problem but driving back less so...

In this case (degraded headlamps) I think I'd be quite happy to drive it back in daylight!

• Like 1

I have heard of a "daylight MOT" before.

Is it a real thing??

LIke, the cert is issued but stated that it is only valid for daytime driving?
(Or have I been misled...)

Hmm.. I've a vague recollection of something like that too. Perhaps for vehicles that aren't intended to be used at night though?

i remembered the bike i had this on...

Date tested
28 July 2018
PASS
Mileage
38,354 miles
Test location
View test location

MOT test number
4689 3723 1836
Expiry date
27 July 2019
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Steering headbearing has slight free play (2.2.2 (f) (i))
  • Drive chain worn but not considered excessive (6.1.7 (c) (i))
  • Not to be used at night or in times of reduced visibility
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 17/04/2024 at 09:56, Bibs said:

It was a motorbike rumour and wasn't ever a thing to be fair.

They can only test what is fitted, this my old race bike, road registered taxed mot and insured. No lights, indictors, reflectors or mirrors.

Just an advisory, only to be used during daylight hours  

adult.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1