Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Evora headlights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New Evora headlights

Hi all

When I bought my Evora I was warned about checking the headlights of any possible car for crazing. As far as I've read this is a common issue that effects many Evora's and while refurbishment is a possibility, replacing the units with new items from Lotus isn't as you can no longer get these parts.

Firstly can anyone confirm that the above statement is correct that new headlights are not available either from Lotus or any other third party?

The next question is do we think it would be worth investigating the possiblity of having these units remanufactured or possibly develop a revised version of the headlight that perhaps gives the car a slightly more contemporary style finish while at the same time attempting to engineer the original crazing issue out of the headlights?

I know companies like GRP have engineered tail lights that are slightly more modern so thinking of something similar for headlights.

I've started the ball rolling by contacting the original lighting system manufacturer with an outline of the issue and to get some initial information on whether a reproduction unit might be possible. I know the Evora was only a low volume production car but I do think there is value in trying to produce a new unit as I'm sure the issue of these headlights will only get worse over time.

I'd love to hear from owners on here if this is a worthwhile endeavour.

Thanks

Trev

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I recall headlights on sale of eBay from lotus parts sellers ? I had the glazing effect so much that my lotus garage told me it could effect my MOT ? 
so I got a guy to polish the outside part made a big difference but some marks inside the lens are still there and I can’t do anything as it’s sealed unit 

I've been in touch with Perei lighting in the UK and they refused to sell any components of the headlights due to the contract they had with Lotus. The lense can be split from the body of the light with careful heating, but you're unable to obtain the lense.

I currently have a decent pre-owned.headlight which I'm swapping the lense over to my old one due to the body being gloss black rather than grained. My current headlight lense has developed some light crazing which looks to be within the lense.

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to give this an update. I've had confirmation today from the manufacturer that made the Evora headlights has now ceased production. Therefore I guess once any new old stock has been ordered you won't be able to get replacement headlights.

Edited by TrevS

I think at some point Silverstone Lotus were also doing refurbs, not sure if they still are, mind need doing, does anyone know who is currently refurbing them and at what rough price?

Not sure if there is any refurb on the inside of the unit as they sealed ?

I rang these people who advertise on eBay but went with a local guy who did it for half the cost. 
I think I posted a picture of the before and after of the headlight 

Hi Tom, I’m not too far from you in Hampshire, would you mind telling me who did your lights and did you take the headlights out yourself, £200 sounds v good value.

• Gold FFM

Info on my problem and fix in this thread:

Auto electrician was J Morgan & Son in Dorking http://www.jmorganandson.co.uk/

Mine was an MOT failure so I got the MOT station to remove the headlight and reinstall.  £110 for the electrician back in 2020 and an hour labour for the removal/refit.  You could do the removal yourself and probably post it to the electrician if it's too far.