Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric chargecooler pump installations - Page 5 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric chargecooler pump installations

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep, many seem to have them but most are out of stock and they are having a new batch made (PNM among others).... this could take weeks. Summer in Sweden is short. I removed the pump (diameter is 26.98mm by the way). Removed the impeller and shaft. Blocked the weeping holes with the existing seals from inside (moved 5-7 mm inwards). Fit a 1 mm rubber membrane between lid and housing (no holes to the hoses) and put it back together. Works fine. I'll keep monitoring this for leaks and fit the propper plug when it arrives.

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I found a great place for the cc pump. In front of the right front wheel-well, next to the headlamp motor. Away from the engine compartment heat.

MrDangerUS

Here is a picture of the CC stainless Jabsco Cyclone Centrifugal Pump ( PN# 50840-0012) installation.

IMG_4829.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 1

MrDangerUS

Neat installation, looks really nice and tidy. How is the plumbing changed in the engine bay and from the radiators?
Any need for new holes to be drilled in the body to gain access?

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

On 3/3/2016 at 02:52, Corban said:

Neat installation, looks really nice and tidy. How is the plumbing changed in the engine bay and from the radiators?
Any need for new holes to be drilled in the body to gain access?

Thank you.

Some details are listed here:

To gain some more room gor the pump, A/C hose had to be moved to the rear and inboard by drilling a series of 1" holes. Epoxy and fiberglass discs were used  to patch up the holes after the hose relocation.

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28/08/2018 at 03:33, Barrykearley said:

My very next task on the S4s 👍

With a new pump and extra insulation, my charge cooler is really cold on touch.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

On 28/08/2018 at 08:54, MrDangerUS said:

BEST ELECTRIC CHARGECOOLER PUMPS

I have compiled different pump characteristics into one.

Here they are in order of performance:

1. Pierburg CWA100,  3.2 lbs

2. Pierburg CWA50,  2.25 lbs

3. Davies Craig EBP40 (9040),  1.25 lbs

4. Jabsco Cyclone 50840-12, 7 lbs

5. Bosch 0392022010,  4 lbs

The  rest of them don't perform adequately and should be used as a boat anchors, LOL.

IMG_2496.JPG

Hello, MrDangerUS,

I bought Jabsco 50840, but I think its weight is too heavy, so I am ordering the CWA100.

and I am planning to parallel the mechanic pump with CWA100, do you think it is a good idea to improve the cooling?

Regards,

Pan

You don't have to go as high as CWA100.

It won't hurt anything, but CWA50 is smaller and pretty powerful. If you wish for something ultra-light the Craig Davies EBP40 9040  pump weighs only 1.25 lbs

MrDangerUS

On 07/10/2018 at 09:27, MrDangerUS said:

You don't have to go as high as CWA100.

It won't hurt anything, but CWA50 is smaller and pretty powerful. If you wish for something ultra-light the Craig Davies EBP40 9040  pump weighs only 1.25 lbs

The weight of CWA100 seems not too heavy for mounting and it is more powerful than cwa50 and ebp40 and should have a better performance. And according to the graph you posted, it seems that Jabsco is not suitable as a chargecooler pump and its weight are tooooooooo heavy than others........

But I wonder if I put cwa100 parellel with the stock pump, it will break the stock pump because of the high pressure in the hose.

On 28/08/2018 at 01:54, MrDangerUS said:

BEST ELECTRIC CHARGECOOLER PUMPS

I have compiled different pump characteristics into one.

Here they are in order of performance:

1. Pierburg CWA100,  3.2 lbs

2. Pierburg CWA50,  2.25 lbs

3. Davies Craig EBP40 (9040),  1.25 lbs

4. Jabsco Cyclone 50840-12, 7 lbs

5. Bosch 0392022010,  4 lbs

The  rest of them don't perform adequately and should be used as a boat anchors, LOL.

IMG_2496.JPG

Not that I’d use one, but I’m mildly curious as to where the stock engine-driven pump sits on the graph. Anyone know?

Margate Exotics.

• 1 year later...

Some folks insist, that because of the higher coolant flow velocity (if one use a larger pump), the heat transfer in the radiator or charge-cooler is smaller, because "the heat does not have enough time to convect out of the coolant, because it flows too fast trough HE" . Therefore, they postulate that slowing the flow of coolant is beneficial.
Well, thermodynamics proves them wrong!

The equations cited in this paper http://jullio.pe.kr/fluent6.1/help/html/ug/node245.htm
show the only time dependent element, mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjullio.pe.kr%2Fflum=fluid mass flow rate (kg/s), is in the numerator, hence the heat flux q increases proportionally with fluid mass flow rate.

In another words, bigger pump trough-put results in a higher heat transfer and efficiency. Time the coolant remains in the HE doesn't matter!

The same is true for the heat transfer coefficient,

Faster flowing coolant will always have a larger delta T between it and air in a liquid to air HE, especially toward the coolant exiting end of the HE. Q is always greater with a larger delta T. Therefore, faster flow enables more cooling of the coolant in the HE.

Some things are not necessarily intuitive to us and thermodynamics sometimes falls into that category!

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 2

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an updater graph with EBP40 and CWA50.

I'm planning to revise the CC plumbing to 3/4" (Mark Kassim) and add CWA50 pump. If I can find enough room near overflow tank, CWA100 or Johnson CM90 may be also considered. They are 2x larger and and much heavier (5-6lbs).   Dave (Changes) fitted very cleverly Craig Davies EWP80, which weighs only 900 grams.

Dave

IMG_2081.JPG

CC Pumps comparison_20191116_173811.tif

Craig Davies EWP80 CC pump 80lirters per min 900grams.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 4 months later...

On 02/11/2019 at 16:49, MrDangerUS said:

Well, thermodynamics proves them wrong!

Absolutely right John.

Maximum flow and plenty of turbulence disrupts the boundary layer and improves heat transfer massively.

Great comparison graph. Could do with one of those for many things in life.

Andy.

Edited by AndyPG