Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you happy today? - Page 101 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you happy today?

Laura

• Gold FFM

Well maybe unemployed, but I have managed to complete 2 courses so far which are fundamental to me gaining employment in the UK. The courses have come in at a cost of over 3 grand so far with another two to do. And the bit that makes me happy is my former employers are coughing up the cost of them, and I am on a time sheet while on training..

• Like 2

Two weeks ago I took the Esprit in for its required annual State Inspection (MOT equivalent). Went to the same place I had been going to for several years. 

The sole remaining inspector had (according to the facility's manager) "left the building." A short Q and A period revealed something of a rift between the two, details were neither sought nor explained. I departed the premises.

One week later, having called to find out that the inspector had returned to gainful employment with the facility, I brought the car in again. Turn signals, brake lights, horn, etc. were demonstrated to his satisfaction. 

Then he reached for the wiper arm to inspect the blade. 

And discovers that a microscopic (less than one third of an inch) had separated from one end. This on a 25 inch blade, which is one inch longer than the one called for.

Fine, I said. I'll glue it back together. NO, he said. I cannot pass you. Get a new insert and come back.

I depart the premises.

After a tedious online search for a replacement "refill" I have one posted to the house. While waiting for it to arrive I successfully "superglue" the errant section back to its correct position. (and yes, I considered simply cutting the offending portion off altogether to produce a 24 inch blade).The bond is as strong as the rubber itself. The repair is completely undetectable. 

I call to arrange my third attempt at an inspection. Elvis has once again "left the building." His return is in question. My patience grows thin.

I decide to go to a different inspection station. They are numerous. My loyalties to the previous location have evaporated.

As I start the car to proceed to the new station my phone rings. It is the "old" location's manager calling to inform me that a new inspector has been hired, and that he will be happy to perform the inspection. I ponder my options. 

I drive to the new station. The people there are gracious, and quite willing to accommodate my  personal requests (e.g., let me drive the car to demonstrate that it can stop, etc.). The inspection proceeds apace. They even offer me the OBDI connector to plug it into the car myself. These are good people.

They never once lifted the wiper blade off the windscreen. I did not object.

A minor fright occurred when the gas cap would not initially cooperate during the required pressure check, but the inspector was cheerfully persistent, and things were soon sorted to his satisfaction. These are good people.

"You're done," he says. 

I pay the fee, and I depart in good spirits. I know which station I will use next year.:)

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

An MoT certificate.

A pass.

With no advisories.

With my Esprit registration number and VIN on it.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/2/26/Woo_hoo!_poster.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111121223950

TWENTY YEARS OLD ON THE 9TH SEPTEMBER

HAPPY BIRTHDAY P64 OAH/L3 TVB

Umm - cough cough - I'm afraid to tell you - but that's exactly how the story of my v8 started.

the very next day she'd wet herself in the garage

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Ouch. Well how to stomp on a man's happy day. Could have left him for the weekend for things to go amiss Barry. LOL. How's yours coming on now anyway.

Oh dear. You bought a German car. That would make me sad. Here, have a head rub instead. Never mind.

:make other happy:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I'm sure it's been subject to stringent emissions testing.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Crossposted but as it made me happy:

When was the last time you went for a drive for the sake of driving?

When did you last slip into the driver’s seat of quite easily the best car you've owned, turned the key and pressed the starter button, hearing the rorty exhaust bark into life before settling down into a rhythmic 6pot whisper.

Engaging sport mode suddenly kicks the noise back to the barks and growls as you pull out of the garage onto the street.

As I left the residential area and exited town into the countryside this morning, it dawned on me that I’ve not taken a car for a drive without a reason for a long time. Just for the sake of driving, just for the sake of pressing on through the countryside hearing the cacophony of sounds assaulting my ears.

I have to say, the Evora 400 is quite possibly the perfect sports car. The perfect composition of power, the Evoras 400 horses are definitely lively whilst being easy to control. Taming those 400 horses might take longer but learning is sure to be fun.

Feeling the gear change, with the solid aluminium gear knob in the palm of your hand, it’s easy to notice the changes Lotus have made to the gear linkages when moving from the older Evora to the new Evora 400.

Buzzing through the gears, the Evora gathers pace at an astounding rate of knots. Passing briefly through a small village, I quickly put the exhaust back into quiet mode, allowing a smooth silent pass through the village centre.

Again drawing looks from pedestrians, the Evora is definitely a great looking car, this time the visual appeal drawing attention rather than the noise levels.

After more fun on the roads of West Berkshire, I return the car to the garage with a satisfying grin and the sound of hot metallic pinks and clicks as the car cools down. Locking the car, hearing the soft whirring of the wing mirrors folding closed, it’s hard not to smile.

It’s safe to safe I’m happy with the 400 purchase and would recommend it to everybody. For those of you lucky enough to own one already, go drive it!

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I'm sure it's been subject to stringent emissions testing.

Doesn't this belong on the Paddington thread?:o

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

It's diesel as well @C8RKH - quick get the smog masks at the ready

Well, that's it. @Bibs has gone over to the dark side. The power, strong no longer is, in this one!

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

5 hours ago, Bibs said:

Had a rough week so thought I'd cheer myself up :)

20160806_113137.jpg

That looks suspiciously like a Fiat 500 in the background. Has he "gone Italian" on us as well?

No - just Chavv - he's probably got a Burberry hand bag to match the german thingy.

The small print.

6 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Crossposted but as it made me happy:

When was the last time you went for a drive for the sake of driving?

When did you last slip into the driver’s seat of quite easily the best car you've owned, turned the key to the third notch, hearing the rorty exhaust bark into life before settling down into a rhythmic 8 pot burble.

Engaging first gear suddenly kicks the noise back to the barks and growls as you pull out of the garage onto the street.

As I left the residential area and exited town into the countryside this morning, it dawned on me that I’ve not taken a car for a drive without a reason for a long time. Just for the sake of driving, just for the sake of pressing on through the countryside hearing the cacophony of sounds assaulting my ears.

I have to say, the Esprit V8 is quite possibly the perfect sports car. The perfect composition of power, the Esprit V8's 350 horses are definitely lively whilst being easy to control. Taming those 350 horses might take longer but learning is sure to be fun.

Feeling the gear change, with the solid leather gear knob in the palm of your hand, it’s easy to notice the changes Lotus have made to the gear linkages when moving from the older Turbo Esprit to the newer Esprit V8. Dogshite. But hey ho.

Buzzing through the gears, the Esprit V8 gathers pace at an astounding rate of knots. Passing briefly through a small village, I don't give a fuck and boot the hell out of the thing, allowing a noisy, antisocial and raucous passage through the village centre.

Again drawing looks from pedestrians, the Esprit V8 is definitely a great looking car, this time the visual appeal drawing attention rather than the noise levels. Although most of them have donned ear defenders so that explains it.

After more fun on the roads of any bloody road you like in Great Britain, Europe or Scandinavia, I return the car to the garage with a satisfying grin and the sound of hot metallic pinks and clicks as the car cools down. Locking the car, hearing the soft whirring of the wallet opening for the next expenditure, it’s hard not to smile.

It’s safe to safe I’m happy with the V8 purchase although my bank manager bloody detests it and would recommend it to everybody. For those of you lucky enough to own one already, go drive it!

• Like 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

:lol:

plagerism at its best :lol: love it.

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

For sure, I'm in Thatcham and my parents are in Liddington. So I know the area vaguely between the two. Normally use Ermin Street to get from Newbury to Swindon.

Ace! If you have anything in Essex Blue...particularly a 400 then we definitely have to meet up Lee. Just so I can take photos of it :smoke:

How do you fancy the Pheasant at Shefford just off J14 one evening this week or next?

Anybody else?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

True, but it will still make them happy.:)