Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coffee? - Page 7 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coffee?

Bibs

Yep, and an E37S with a more appropriate "hopper" for home use.

And a Torr Goldfinger, Brewista Scale and Lyn Weber shaker to round out the paraphernalia.

I've recently been lusting after a Londinium-R, so it's only a matter of time before the Classico is replaced. That'll be it then, though. Probably.

• 3 years later...

Having been through a rubbish Krups B2C machine I've been using a Nespresso for a couple of years but now fancy going back to bean-to-cup.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good machine? I was in John Lewis at the weekend and really liked the look of this...

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-barista-express-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine/p3501284

234865235?$rsp-pdp-port-640$

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

i had a bean to cup for years and loved it (gaggia titanium) whenever it went wrong i paniced until it was repaired !!! finally it had to go and i eyed up the next bean to cup but ...... joined a nerdy coffee forum and bought a dual boiler espresso with seperate grinder and doubt id go back to bean to cup now !!!

• Gold FFM

I recently bought one of these, Bibs.

Got a bunch of advice from someone who runs a B2B coffee business, and he reckoned that it's a tough call between the Sage and Jura machines, with the Juras just edging it.

Windy is taking it to the next level, though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to have a bean to cup but when it finally departed us for the coffee shop in the sky I researched getting another bean to cup but all advice was pushing towards separate items. I finally settled on a Eureka Mignon grinder and a Sage Duo Temp machine. The two make a great coffee and just as easy as  a bean to cup.

Being separate items means the grinder is better than the built in Sage one and if one or the other breaks I can just replace the one item instead of the whole machine.

• Like 2

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

2 hours ago, windymiller said:

i gota mignon bud !! and an expobar dual boiler office lever, lurv ma coffee !!! 😁

What a coincidence. It is a great grinder. It has given me many years of good service and will hopefully continue to do so

• Like 1

I had a De'Longhi Caffe Corso. Was great while it lasted, but just gave up the ghost one day (after about 9 months). Complained to Amazon, replaced FOC. 9 months later, failed with exactly the same issue... Grrrrrrr

As with @Bibs I switched to Nespresso - coming up to 2 years ago. I got a Vertuo, which means there aren't any 3rd party options (that I've found). While it makes a nice cup of coffee, and there are a fairly wide range of varieties, each cup is quite expensive.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been thinking about going back to a ground or bean to cup machine, I'm probably favouring the ground version as, a) less moving parts (which is where I think the De'Longhi failed), and b) with an external grinder, more flexibility.

Liking the look of the Sage Duo Temp machine (although not interested in the steam section as I hate hot milk).

Was in Scotland last week, and my brother has an Amazon Basics Expresso Machine - what a load of crap that is, might as well use instant.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, ChrisJ said:

I had a De'Longhi Caffe Corso. Was great while it lasted, but just gave up the ghost one day (after about 9 months). Complained to Amazon, replaced FOC. 9 months later, failed with exactly the same issue... Grrrrrrr

Been there done that with the exact same machine. Great when working.

Only here once

When I was young and stupid, before I became old and stupid, I spent a ridiculous amount on a Lamborghini coffee machine.  It even had a gearstick!  It was well made and looked great in my bachelor pad, as well as making a half decent cup of coffee.  These days, I tend to enjoy the Aeropress, for £20-30 it's hard to beat once you get to grips with the grind/coffee/water ratio.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

As with @Bibs I switched to Nespresso - coming up to 2 years ago. I got a Vertuo, which means there aren't any 3rd party options (that I've found). While it makes a nice cup of coffee, and there are a fairly wide range of varieties, each cup is quite expensive.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been thinking about going back to a ground or bean to cup machine, I'm probably favouring the ground version as, a) less moving parts (which is where I think the De'Longhi failed), and b) with an external grinder, more flexibility.

Liking the look of the Sage Duo Temp machine (although not interested in the steam section as I hate hot milk).

Was in Scotland last week, and my brother has an Amazon Basics Expresso Machine - what a load of crap that is, might as well use instant.

I can recommend the Sage Duo Temp @ChrisJ 

I have had mine (along with Eureka Mignon grinder) for about 5 years. Still going strong although like you, the milk steamer hardly gets used.

23 hours ago, Bibs said:

Having been through a rubbish Krups B2C machine I've been using a Nespresso for a couple of years but now fancy going back to bean-to-cup.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good machine? I was in John Lewis at the weekend and really liked the look of this...

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-barista-express-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine/p3501284

234865235?$rsp-pdp-port-640$

This looks exactly like what is badged a breville barista express here in Australia. I have had one for about 5 or 6 years and once you get it dialed in, it's pretty good. No issues to date. The English price seems a little more up there (about £350 here).

I use a spoon, put some coffee granules in a cup with a sweetner and drink it. Easy!

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I bet you put the milk in the cup before the teabag...

In addition to a LaPavoni lever machine, I've used a Delonghi Bean to Cup for around 5 years and its been convenient and reliable.    Places like Currys heavily discount 'last years model' every so often, so I bought mine much cheaper than the Sage/Breville machine that I was also considering

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2021 at 09:48, 910Esprit said:

I bet you put the milk in the cup before the teabag...

What is this "Tea" you talk of? 

No, Instant Coffe is where it is, fully leaded (no milk) and one sweetner. If you really have to go for a nice instant rather than Supermarket own brand but they are all good!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

4 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Instant Coffe is where it is, fully leaded (no milk) and one sweetner

Instant coffee! You heathen. A sweetener! You pussy. Man up and drink it properly and unsweetened.  if you knew the chemical composition of those sweeteners you'd run a mile....

I have a Dolce Gusto "pod" machine and buy the Espresso pods from Aldi as they are half the price of the Dolce Gusto ones.  If I want a cappuccino I put half a tall glass mug of cold milk in the microwave for a minute till it get's frothy and light. Then add the espresso, or two, from the Gusto. Perfick.  An Americano, just add water. Etc.  Simples as the Meerkats would say and sooo much better than instant which just tastes so yuck. 

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I used to drink it 2 sugars and milk but on the 6-8 cups a day I was on I was drinking enough calories for a whole meal! 

So I went black with 1 sweetner. 3.4 calories.

We tried a pod machine and with my son drinking the same amount then Wendy having 2-3 it was costing us hundreds of pounds a month!

• Gold FFM

I have an Aldi K-Fee machine. It uses pods. I drink Valetta strength #7. I also have a milk frother from Aldi.

Does any of that count?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

56 minutes ago, ramjet said:

I have an Aldi K-Fee machine. It uses pods. I drink Valetta strength #7. I also have a milk frother from Aldi.

Does any of that count?

Nothing from Aldo or Lidl counts.....ever.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

That's good. Mines from Aldi. Phew.....

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I used to use one of those pod machines but it never seemed to get the coffee hot, more often then not I ended up putting the mug of coffee in the microwave for quick nuke.

How many sins is that? :coffee:

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Actually, Valetta's are strength #6. Not #7. That's how much attention I pay to it. :getmecoat: 

• 1 month later...