Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
More power and best ways to get it from an Evora NA? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

More power and best ways to get it from an Evora NA?

Following from my muddled S/C conversion thread. I'm looking for proven ways to tune the N/A preferably with dyno results and costs. Anybody had their car remapped along with headers. I currently have the blue tipped Lotus sports exhaust and I think third cat removal.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Without question the stock headers are the biggest limiter on performance. These seem to be a Toyota part, never optimized for performance, just cost, economy  and longevity.

There are several options available here, 2bulur, KomoTec, BP-Racing,...

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

TBD,

Thanks. Anybody fitted these or had them fitted and had their car dyno'd? I've looked on the Komotec site and they say up to 300bhp with their 4000 Euro kit which Is a lot if money for 20hp but not a lot of money for what is included. I think I would only need the headers and remap as I have an exhaust and filter.

Trevor.

i dont have any real dyno results but my butt dyno says evora gains some hps with exhaust and intake upgrades. i got supersprint racing exhaust with decat & radium intake. also upgraded the flywheel with evora S lighter one. i am waiting for the tune from komo tec now and i believe this will make the biggest change togerther with mods. 

btw you can change your pistons and get higher compression.. you can find those parts in mwr.

best

deniz.

I guess I was looking for easy power upgrades in the form of an ECU map if available and perhaps the headers if they were a relatively easy fit, which I consider they are as it's not an engine out operation. It's a shame the recent dyno day didn't happen as I was hoping to find comparisons with approaches that have been tried. I'll wait until the rescheduled date.

Trevor.

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed the 2bular Headers - Downpipe - Metallic Cat, and Lotus Sport Muffler.

The installation AND dyno results are posted at:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/2bular-na-evora-exhaust-system-117564/index2.html

Note, the dyno results are with NO ECU reflash / tune. I'm waiting until my warranty is up before any tune.

The install is quite easy, if you have a lift.

Nice results I think. It does make me think that a remap with my current setup of Lotus sports exhaust, decat and K&N panel filter would yield good results too.

Anybody had this done and is it possible to rap the standard ECU?

Trevor.

I think that the most performance gains ar getting rid of the Factory headers, with their internal cats. They have VERY short and unequal length primaries, plus the Cat restriction.

The full 2bular system I installed, PLUS an ECU reflash / tune should give much greater gains in HP and Torque.

I'm sure you are right, it was just given the rich factory setting that seems the norm I felt there would be benefit in a remap of the standard and lightly modded car. Given that nobody seems to have tried this then I guess not.

Trevor.

From a general owners point of view I am sure you are right but I haven't seen any companies offering a remap and given there are a lot of cars now out or about to be out of warranty I think if there is a decent benefit in it then there is a market. I wonder if TDI would be interested?

Trevor.

• Gold FFM

Nick Dooley over on SELOC (dicknooley) has 2bular exhaust, Radium CAI and a remap by Essex Autosport.  Rolling road (by EA I think) was 307bhp at flywheel.  Think he was going to go to the Dec rolling road session in Newbury that got postponed.  He's on here too but doesn't post much so may be worth contacting via SELOC.  You could invite him along to the TDI session in January - he's in Kent.

From a general owners point of view I am sure you are right but I haven't seen any companies offering a remap and given there are a lot of cars now out or about to be out of warranty I think if there is a decent benefit in it then there is a market. I wonder if TDI would be interested?

Trevor.

BOE / Kold-Fire will do a Custom remap Tune, to match any upgrades you have made.

http://www.boefabrication.com/

See ECU Tunind, Evora

http://www.boefabrication.com/index.php?/boe/ecutuning

Edited by Bobsy Racer

Hello.  Let me make an attempt at this.  The following is based on the many threads I've seen on this forum and LotusTalk and a few e-mails I’ve had with some Evora tuners.  If this post is a little controversial, it's because of those original threads.  ;)

From what I've seen, there are 3 possible routes to extract more power from a normally aspirated Evora:

1) Least Costly: Approximately $2,000 USD in parts = Radium Cold Air Intake (“CAI”), Exhaust, and Larini "resonator" delete.  The price is for parts only as I image some would be able to do the install themselves.  This would probably next you approximately 20 rear wheel horse power: 

The negatives:  The issues, from what I've read is that the Radium CAI's MAF location and new ID number leans out the engine increasing horse power.  So, it’s not  solely on improved air flow from a “restrictive stock intake”.   The issue comes when you add a custom tune or headers which results in the engine becoming even leaner.  This has supposedly caused issues with the shift points on the IPS Evoras.   Some tuners have stated that the Radium MAF location and new ID number have caused inconsistency issues with the air flow that a tune cannot fix.  I suppose this mean the possibility of unpredictable results?  I have been personally told that, by itself, the Radium is fine but once you start more extensive modifications (such as headers), the Radium cannot be used.

The positives:  For $2,000 USD for the CAI, exhaust, and resonator delete and gaining 20 rear wheel horsepower is quite good.  This may be the best route if you don’t want to do extensive modifications, have a normally aspirated, manual transmission Evora, and aren’t afraid to take a  chance.   Also, I’m mention 20 wheel hp with the CAI, exhaust, and resonator delete  because that’s what Radium used when they developed the CAI as their test car already had a Larini exhaust (but I don’t think they had the resonator delete on their test car).   http://radiumauto.com/blog-page.php?Lotus-Evora-Intake-System-45

2) Moderately Expensive:  Approximately $3,700 to $5,000 USD in parts = Headers, downpipe, exhaust, and custom tune.  This nets approximately 30 rear wheel horse power.   The two vendors selling this upgrade would be Kold-Fire (EV300 which retails for $4695.00) or 2Bular who exhaust manifolds and down pipe are larger than the stock Evora.  You’ll also need to consider where you want your catalytic converters to be located.  Currently, there are two in the manifolds and a 3rd before the silencer.  2Bular does offer a silencer with cats built in, or you can opt for “sports” cats, or leave the stock 3rd cat in place.

Pro:  Probably the most consistent and reliable way to make your 30 horse power increase.

Cons:  The price listed is for parts only.  I’ve been told the manifold installation is a serious job.  My local dealer will require 11.5 hours.  (At $145 per hour, that’s a $1,667.50 for the header install alone and I’m not technical enough or have the equipment to do this myself).  I believe other tuners will require a similar amount of time.

3) Highly Expensive:  Approximately $12,000 to $17,000+ USD in parts = Supercharger and additional parts such as exhaust, and oil coolers.    This nets approximately 300-310 rear wheel horsepower or what the Evora S makes in rear wheel horse power.  Because this is a major job, I’ll add the installation quotes I’ve received: $5,375 in labor and about $500 in fluids.  This quote comes from a tuner who’s done the upgrade previously. 

You can find the supercharger and some additional parts can come from Lotus Racing:  http://shop.britishracinggroup.com/Lotus-Racing-Evora-Supercharger-Kit-BRG-LRESCKIT.htm

Pros: You have the S supercharger and a platform for additional S-based modifications.

Cons:  Price and it’s a major undertaking.

4) Bonus 4th level.   (Cost of options #2 and #3).  Yes, this is the supercharger with full exhaust system and custom tune.   According to a tuner that’s done this, the rear wheel horsepower is about 350 hp.  I believe this is pretty much where Ramtin’s car is. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/supercharging-my-na-evora-116587/index11.html

Pros: More power than an S.

Cons: That’s about $20,000 in upgrades.

Lastly, here are some resources:

Edited by Allan Gibbs

Allen, Just a few slight edits:

Kold-fire tune should state site for hardware headers/rear cat as Komo-Tec @; http://komo-tec.com/http://komo-tec.com/.  Whether Komo-Tec (Kold-fire), 2ubular or all delete front Cats and use a hi flow rear Cat in place of the stock 3rd cat.  Additionally a third header/cat source is Supersprint-exhaust @: http://www.supersprintna.com/category-exec/category_id/139

Great info and nicely put together. I have of course looked around but that's the first time I've seen the options together and it seems clear that the package that suits me would be the 2bular setup and remap but would be nice to hear this on a car as I'm not a fan of too much noise. It has to be quiet enough to not get any problems at the quietest of uk track days and pleasant when out for the day with someone else in the car.

Barrie,

I love my car and think it's unique so would be reluctant to fit an S/C as this would deviate too far from original. The exta cost, added weight, much higher fuel consumption also make this a non starter likewise in Trev world I do not see an S as an upgrade. I would be looking at probably £25k to change for an S and coupled with the above drawbacks it's a bit of a non starter for me. I confess though that I have been looking at a special S and am waiting for the dealer to come back to me with costs.

Trevor.

I really wonder, where you need a surplus power. Is it worth to tune up the N/A for 20 HP more? I really drive my Evora (with the Radium CAI) and it is fantastic. To be honest: the power I use on mountainroads where the grip ends before the power is missing. 

So... why should I tune it up? On the highway it is sufficiant; i am driving, not racing. In the City I dont need a surpower. So where should i use it? In fact, I never went over 6000 RPM in the last 3 years. I dorve the S, OK, a bit different; but do I honestly need it?

Shure: on the paper it looks better. But what is the paper worth? I am talking about emotions in real; and daily. 

Happy new year to all of you. A. 

just bung in some redex

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Yes I agree and love te character of my car as it is so would hate to spoil it by changing things. It's just that desire to have a little more or more to the point making the car all it can be. I fitted the CAI and wasn't after the noise it produced but more the power it had to offer and for me it detracted from the feel rather than added. What I would also like to know is if there are gains to be had in a remap considering I have a K&N filter and sports exhaust or as I suspect the best route is headers/manifolds.

Trevor.

Would a remap be the cheapest option? and if it did not work you could revert back, some remappers offer a trial period. If you change the headers/ manifold that's a big physical job. Why not try a remap first? (and some redex :) )

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"