Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The "Heatwave". - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The "Heatwave".

Kimbers

So the UK is suffering (enjoying) a heat wave where roads are melting, People are collapsing (1000 extra calls in for Ambulances in Central London alone last week) and the news is full of warnings not to wear suits, to look after elderly neighbours and to not go out in the sun..........

Is it just me or at 32 degree's C are we just a bunch of nancies? It was over 30 degree's every day in Zante where I was on holiday. People were still working both outside and in! In Cyprus it's been 40 degree's for 2 weeks now and this is normal for mid summer. Dubai reached 50.5 Degree's and is 37 at night time. This is normal.

So when it's cold we fall apart, when it's hot we fall apart....the only time we aren't falling apart is when its raining and cool....and even then, too much rain and we fall apart!

Lets just rejoice in it and say Yippee! We're finally having a summer!

Of course I won't be saying that Sunday when I have a fitness test in an unconditioned gym for 8 hours.....DOH!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I am at work in swimming shorts, T-shirt, and sandals...very tough.... :B) :B) :B)

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Well, as long as we are complaining, we are happy.

Imagine if our weather never really changed at all. What would we talk about?

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I'm sure colleagues will be thinking I picked a great week to have a holiday form work, but from my point of view I'd be happier it being cooler so I could get on with work outside, and temperatures like this I'm quite happy to be at work in the air conditioned building. Unless we went into a really high temperature heatwave I doubt we'd be allowed to work in shorts & T shirt, despite the fact I am not in sight of customers, suppliers etc, it's just the way it is here, rather like wearing tan shoes to the office (makes no difference but some think it does).

The humidity in the UK does make a massive difference, it makes it much harder for the body to cool by the latent heat of evaporation, so the way the temperature feels here to the same temperature in a less humid climate is quite different.

thing is... we are not used to it, so it comes as a bit of a shock.

I love the hot weather but it does take me a couple of days to acclimatise.

I've got time off at the end of the month, who wants a bet it starts raining that week!!

:)

It's getting there......

I'm not complaining, I am currently working on building sites doing quite physical work. As said above its just a case of acclimatisation.

After work every night this week I've taken the boat out, anchored by the beach and gone for a swim, climbed back aboard and had a nice cool beer, bliss :smoke:

Steve, you can start to hate someone for saying things like that! ....... Ok, now I am not working from home (sitting in my trunks) or in an Aircon car, I can see why people do moan a little. I'm in a suit for meetings at head office and it is SWEALTERING in here!

New Heatwave "Warnings"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23371454

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Nancies. What was that about mad dogs and Englishmen? Here in an Oklahoma Summer, we count the days it doesn't get to 100 deg F. :blob fire:

(Waiting for the Arizona contingent to chime in... :tumbleweed: )

Yep, a bunch of Nancies. 32 is pleasant, even with some humidity. It's funny, but in Oz (Sydney area) we have quite a lot of humidity and it can get uncomfortable when it is 35+ and 90%+ humidity, not uncommon in Feb. At the other end, we tend not to have heavily heated houses, and it is interesting that many English that visit complain that they feel the winter here more than at home. We just tend to rug up rather than expect indoors to be hot.

I am amazed that a succession of 30 deg days is such a problem. But it is what you get used to. It's funny that my cousins in Dorset have often got cooler days in Summer that we have at the same time in middle of Winter. But it is about to get cold here, so enjoy your Summer.

Is it just me or at 32 degree's C are we just a bunch of nancies? It was over 30 degree's every day in Zante where I was on holiday. People were still working both outside and in! In Cyprus it's been 40 degree's for 2 weeks now and this is normal for mid summer. Dubai reached 50.5 Degree's and is 37 at night time. This is normal.

So when it's cold we fall apart, when it's hot we fall apart....the only time we aren't falling apart is when its raining and cool....and even then, too much rain and we fall apart!

As others have said it's a case of acclimatising of course people are going to feel hit when we're not used to this kind of weather.

We're not falling apart but when we have the coldest winter ever, the driest summer ever, the wettest spring ever, the hottest summer ever of course we'll be unprepared for something that's never happened before! When the weather in the UK is generally variations of damp and cool businesses and LA's aren't going to fork out for aircon in every building, cool centres, water fountains as much as they're not going to fork out for loads of snow ploughs for weather that accounts for what 5% of the year?

Quit yer moaning and enjoy the sunshine!

While we were supposed to leave this afternoon to go camping at Watkins Glen State Park, with the heat index nearing 100 deg F today and not breaking until later tomorrow (with powerful thunder storms predicted) we decided to bag it. I suppose my wife and I could have made it though a tough night sleeping, but it's not as easy for our aging dog. We'll be going back there again in late September and I'm sure the temps will be almost ideal then(and hopefully no rain). Just wouldn't be fun this weekend.

• Gold FFM

Tish pshaw - I love it.  Going outside right now to rip the front off my car and work up a lovely drippy sweat.  It's good for you.  :thumbup:

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Have a thought for us retired folk,

sitting in pub gardens, drinking ice cold lagers,watching people dashing to and fro to work!

thinking what pub garden shall we sit in tomorrow ?

Its a tough life BUT someones got to do it :harhar:  

• Gold FFM

Quit yer moaning and enjoy the sunshine!

Spot on! Worst case scenaro is mildly warm nights and brown grass. I'd like to settle for this on a permanent basis please. :)

Did somebody say shorts? ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

The difference between British and Cypriot houses is that the British houses are designed more to be warm rather than cool so they don't have fans but they do have big windows to let in the sunlight (and heat).  And unlike Oklahoma, the houses aren't air-conditioned.  I know my wife, who is in England at the moment, says she has been missing the air-conditioning.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Can't see any reason to complain - the weather the rest of the year has been crap after all.

Mind you, the sweltering train carriage back from London each day has been a box of stink.    :dizzy:

Hey! I wasn't complaining! I was saying that I was astounded that everyone else was and there is article after article about how it's all terrible because it's falling apart.

I was in Bucks on Friday and they closed 3 roads, main A roads, because the tarmac was "the wrong kind of tarmac" and had melted.

Meanwhile I'm back in my office at home in my boxers........Hmmm comfy.

• Gold FFM

Hate to say it guys, but 32 isn't hot, but as others have said - acclimatisation.

I've had trouble with melting tarmac when I rode my motorbike home from work in WA. I could feel the bike moving sideways as the tar was all gooey. That was after 42 deg C for 3 days in a row. About 32~33 deg C at night.

Those 3 days were followed by another 8. Then we dropped back to 32~35 for the next 2 months.

All at Christmas.

What I have found astonishing about the heat you have (are?) experiencing, is the number of deaths that have been reported on the news here. Is it 700 or so?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I heard something like that on the news. It's the same if it's hot or cold, extra people keel over and pass away. Not sure what it's all about really, we don't have people sat on street corners cooking or freezing! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Had a guy pass out on Sunday at a Training session in an un-airconditioned gym. It wasn't the fact he over exerted himself, he had been drinking the night before and the heat got to him.

Doing any exercise in this heat, with a hangover is just crazy!

Showing 32 degrees today here, but humidity is waaaay off the scale so very sticky. I have just changed out of my boxers into some speedo's................ :w00t:

Hate to say it guys, but 32 isn't hot

Relatively, it's hot! You've lived in Oz for a long time, a few days of weather hotter than we're used to isn't long enough to adjust. I have to admit I threw in the towel today when it hit 35 in my windowless office (well, no opening windows) I had to give up and go home it just had me feeling sick and sleepy.

Kimbers, let me get this straight, you're moaning about people moaning. You know that makes you just as bad! :P

Laura, It justifies my moaning and gives me free license. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :harhar:

My car was showing 36 here at 2pm today, not sure if that's right but it was reeeeaaaaaaaallllllly hot so prob was!.

Yesterday

an't life a bitch

8082E124-0675-4F42-9C6E-5C71DCFBD27F-524

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein