Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacement Clutch Kit Experiences - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacement Clutch Kit Experiences

Anybody like to share their experiences etc they had / have with aftermarket clutch kits (SJ / R&B etc) as I'm looking into a new one (complete kit, stock SE engine).

Esprit Freak

I had one from R&B, the + 25% IIRC, didn't last long (8k before I noticed slipping under load), admittedly mine may be more than the 264BHP, but surely not that much more.

I am considering Helix and have a custom one made.

Edit

Look for Renault it s cheapest

The Renault ones are physically the same but have a lower clamping force.

Edited by andydclements

• Gold FFM

Yes - a significantly lower clamping force, with multiple reports of slippage.  I've done a lot of research on the cover and I haven't been able to match it.  Pete at PNM overcomes this by supplying a larger disc.  I've installed quite a few of his and they're definitely up to the task.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I have a complete standard kit from JAE in California that I installed many years ago. Believe it is same as stock.  Always works great, even on track. My car is mostly stock...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I got the complete kit from SJ, good price, no isues fitting, and no issues since, running 12psi boost.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I looked into the clutch system in detail when doing mine because of the torque

expected... What i found was that the original was sufficient for the job it was

designed for and that was all... even the S300 was different with not much change

in its demands...

After market clutches were So So but you get what you pay for...

The one thing they all had in common was (inc Lotus own)...All not great balance.!!!!!!!!

I have not found one that i would be happy fitting to an engine of mine... Balance wise..

Most are just within an accepted tolerance ..but that tolerance is in my opinion too wide.

I found the best of the lot was actually HELIX.. with a range of upgrades for those with a bit

more of an aggressive driving style or power upgrade.. Plus it wont kill the bank account..

So what ever you get ...have the balance checked with your fly wheel..

The Helix parts numbers are;-

Cover pt no. 604820 

Plate pt no. 704811

These are for organic direct replacement with 368nm static torque ( more than most will need) 

contact number for Helix 01295 701076 

• Like 2

I fitted an SJ kit to mine a few years back and have had no problems. The SJ's 3 piece kit I received consisted of a Lotus OEM pressure plate, a Helix friction disk and a 3rd party release bearing

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

I looked into the clutch system in detail when doing mine because of the torque

expected... What i found was that the original was sufficient for the job it was

designed for and that was all... even the S300 was different with not much change

in its demands...

After market clutches were So So but you get what you pay for...

The one thing they all had in common was (inc Lotus own)...All not great balance.!!!!!!!!

I have not found one that i would be happy fitting to an engine of mine... Balance wise..

Most are just within an accepted tolerance ..but that tolerance is in my opinion too wide.

I found the best of the lot was actually HELIX.. with a range of upgrades for those with a bit

more of an aggressive driving style or power upgrade.. Plus it wont kill the bank account..

So what ever you get ...have the balance checked with your fly wheel..

The Helix parts numbers are;-

Cover pt no. 604820 

Plate pt no. 704811

These are for organic direct replacement with 368nm static torque ( more than most will need) 

contact number for Helix 01295 701076 

Hi Dave,

What bHelix clutch kit would you recomend for my S4s. I'm running around 360bhp.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.

In some ways it all depends on how you use the power you have,

For fast road the one mentioned will do the job.

But if you want to use max acceleration and torque a lot of the time you

may need to fit a cerametalic paddle plate as i did Helix p/no 764811..

Along with the same cover..p/no 604820

The static torque figures for that combination are just over 400nm .

This is the plate i have in mine...see pic.

post-10519-0-62857800-1389435217.jpg

I have found that this will give a bit of clutch judder on down shift when the

revs are low , but not really that noticeable to be fair..

When used with the GTO racing box set up i have now , the big first does make it

an issue low down.. ..

I am working on an organic system to replace the lot with 570 nm capability this winter

or a 442 nm fast road set up .... its a new design so i will prototype a test this coming year..

I do have a 5000 mile old 20% worn 400nm system i initially tested sitting in the shelf, all 

fully balance, in fact its the one in the pic..  if interested..

This clutch is stronger than the g/box , its the one fitted when mine let go, so it may be worth

considering if a slipping clutch due to excess torque is better than the box going bang.!!!

Hope this helps

Dave 

Edited by CHANGES

• 3 weeks later...

I think i go for a "hybrid" clutch ie. a lotus pressure plate and release bearing with a helix friction plate. I'm getting the impression that the helix friction plate is better than the lotus oem one.

I really like your clutch setup dave, but i'm not sure if it is suitable for my car / driving. The car is just standard (engine, gearbox etc) and my driving style is normal / fast road.

Esprit Freak

Dave what's the logic behind the paddle clutch plate, I would have assumed that reducing the friction area would have reduced the amount of tourque it could transmit?

Cheers,

John W

• 1 month later...

It seems the lotus (A082Q6032F) pressure plate is hard to get as nobody (sj / stratton / vdkooi / lotus) has them in stock. helix are also out of stock.

Anybody have an idea where i can buy one or have other idea's ?

@changes: is your old setup still for sale?

Many thx

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hi Freek,

No the old one is gone , Development stuff like that does not sit around long when

people get wind of them .. 

I will be speaking to Helix again this week, so let me chase up availability for you, I know

they are very busy at present because i have been chasing the new prototype they

are developing for me which has been put back so they can catch up on production clutches.

They do have an S300 Flywheel, disc and cover of mine there for pattern which is almost new,

They should be done with it by now so if you are still stuck and desperately need one, PM me

and i will see how the land lies and what can be arranged to help you out...

Dave. (changes)

I used competition supplies at Silverstone for my clutch, they might be able to help, I would normally speak to Bruce Chambers there, I have always found him to be helpfull

Many thx to all of you for info and offered help,

I made a call to PNM this morning and ordered a kit from them (positive feedback form mr. oogieboogie and sparky (multiple)). They had a kit in stock and assured me ot was up to the job on a standard SE.

@changes: I called helix beginning of this week and they checked their stock and said they were out and didn't know when new one's will (or if) be made.

Freek.

I hope we all can meet one day and have a beer !!!!!!

Esprit Freak