Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 107 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

I finally fitted my 245/50-16 at the rear, instead of my 245/45-16 (wanted to wear them out before I shifted). Gave the SE a totally different stance and handling. Haven't been happier for a long time. My favorite mechanic said he could order 2 pcs of 215/50-15 W88 (good for 270 km/h) for my front so I told him not to wait an unnecessary moment to do so, as they are as hard to find as chickens teeth. I'll have them fitted July 13 if he really can get them. I think it could be a good thing if all Esprit owners with the odd sizes started to e-mail Good Year and asking them to make a batch of Eagles in the right dimensions. I'm pretty sure they will get sold at once 😃  Every SE owner would buy, just to have in stock. The correct size fills the wheel arches in a totally nicer way than 245/45-16 do.

IMG_20200704_180054.jpg

Edited by Corban
wrong size
  • Like 2

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

Looking good Henrik! What brand do you have on the rear, and what has your mechanic been able to find for the front?

I'm running 225/50R15 Toyo at the front and BFG Sport Comp 255/50R16 on the rear on my SE.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The rears are KUMHO, I bought them 3 or 4 years ago, just to have. I was told to buy both front and back if I had the chance because they were getting scarce. Front was harder, I bought 205/50-15 (no PAS so smaller better than 225/50-15 was my thought). What brand my mechanic ordered did get lost in the mist since he tried to order for the rear also (I told him I would buy what ever brand he could find if they were approved for more than 180km/h) and he called like 4 dealers. I'll find out Monday week after this upcoming. BUT... I still think we all should send e-mails to GoodYear asking for Eagles in the right size. After all, we are carrying the heritage of Colin Chapman, one of the greatest engineers in formula one. Are there any Ferrari people having a hard time finding tyres/tires? (maybe there is 😃  )  We know Lotus almost built the suspension around the tires so fitting low profile tires and rims from other Esprit models might work but it changes the characteristics of the car. 50% looks like a high profile today but it gives a smoother ride and the noise from hitting small bumps is very much lower. Can't wait till I get new fronts (current ones are 10 years or more and lost softness). I love my SE but changing tires could make it a totally new and even more pleasurable beast 😃 like it was originally intended. Compare the wheel/wheel arch with this photo with 245/45-16, looks too small, doesn't it?

I'll get back on the forum after I fitted the fronts too.

20150604_123941.jpg

Side note: I'd like to drive my SE on the track at least once a year, just to feel the true spirit of the esprit (pun intended). 3 years ago I could easily find Toyo proxies (or what they are called) but  now they seem hard to find.
Don't want to ruin my new street rubber (breaking side walls). Any advice on rims and tires that fit, true to dimensions on the SE would be great.

Just love the beautiful Elan (don't think I seen a black one before) :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

BTW, new fronts fitted. They are Vredestein Sprint 215/50-15 W. Now with fresh, correctly sized tyres/tires all around, the car has turned, from being a very beautiful but whimsical mistress, to a being a faithful and reliable girlfriend  (still gorgeous)😃
Jokes aside, the ride is much smoother, the steering is lighter. She corners like on rails and the noise from small bumps and gravel is gone. A true bliss...

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 12:53, Giniw said:

I think it's a dark blue one?

Yes, it was not black, but dark blue. Like the Blackbird, that was actually painted indigo blue but looks black in most pictures. 😉 Definitely a stunning car, first time I saw such a nice Elan in Belgium. That's the main reason I like those meets: every time there is a great mix of familiar cars and owners to chat with, as well as a good number of 'new' cars, often models you very rarely see. And everyone is welcome, from an old Ford Fiesta to a youngtimer Bentley or Aston (or a muddy Range Rover). 😎

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 07/06/2020 at 01:27, gvy said:

I didn't use the esprit much lately and because an old Esprit that doesn't drive is destined to fail, I thought it is better to start using it again, so here we go . Lets start with small neighbourhood blasts , after a proper warm up of course. What always amazes me when driving it , is how quick and nimble it steers in and out of bends on B roads at speeds between 60 and 100km/u

And it is such a dramatic shape. I have it for many years now and it keeps me wanting to turn around and look at it when I walk away. Also I keep getting tumbs up.

49977274211_6e8648358b_c.jpg2020

49976759728_30df57a8ba_c.jpg20200606_133713 by gvygvy, on Flickr

Very nice. I'm trying to get mine ready to take out on the weekend. I'll have to get out the karcher to remove the layer of dust. Where do I find the various filter details as the auto stores haven't been any use (apologies if this is the wrong section to ask)? I'll post a photo if it looks okay.

• Like 2