Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 27 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

Oh NO!

I hope no one was hurt. But loosing that car is also sad and a real pity.

Does this happen often?

Should we all install a serious halon system? Or something else?

I carry a 1kg fire extinguisher all the time in front of the passenger seat, In just a few seconds I can be out and spraying it.

Should it be done from underneath, or with an open engine compartment ?  (If possible)

I have changed the fuel hoses as well.

Maybe time to look at injectors sitting propperly?

Or something else to be done (1990 Turbo SE)

All advices much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

On other classic car forums the subject of fuel hose degradation is discussed endlessly and with good reason.

Modern fuel which has ethanol content degrades rubber hoses. Even without this, cars with original 30 year old hoses and filler neck couplings etc are a disaster waiting to happen.  

I have had a plumbed in extinguisher in my Esprit since 1988. Currently it is this one, with the second one carried inside the car.

jjc_extingusherdeal_kit.jpg

I also have one to fit in my Excel as well.

The kit can be be purchased here for £136 delivered. I have no link with JJC Rally at all other than as a customer.

Here it is fitted.

IMGP2387_zps621604f7.jpg

IMGP2390_zps61e397b0.jpg

IMGP2395_zps9767399f.jpg

Remote release is in the cabin

IMGP2396_zpsbdafc8c0.jpg

It's the often leaking carbs sat on top of a dizzy that causes a lot of fires. People reuse cork seals when rebuilding the cars and they leak fuel.

Not saying EFI cars are immune to fire, but it's much less likely. That said, £136 is very cheap compared to the other option should the worse happen, that's a very good value system and lovely install. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Been there, done that and have the scars to prove it. I was lucky and saved my previous S3 with only superficial damage. Still took a long time to rebuild her though.

If you are at/in the car you stand a better chance of stopping the fire if you have the fire extinguishers with you..

The plumbed in one is 2.25Kg of gas, the additional one in the car is 1.75Kg of foam. So long as you can put the fire out and stop the fuel flow, you should be able to avoid this terrible occurrence.

I know of one member on here who has managed to put out a fire that he saw in his rear view mirror with just a powder hand held one - made a bit of a mess of the engine bay, but better this than the whole car going up.

I'd advise everyone to get one plumbed in.

Chris

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I pulled the pin in my powder one when the S3 went on fire and the thing didnt work.

Lessons learned, make sure they are in date and work.

No, very orange still, just didn't come out in the pic.  Glad you appreciate the clean lines of the Stevens Esprit :).  To me much better with out the big alloys, wheels arches and rear spoiler (S300 the exception).  But I do seem to be in the minority.

• Gold FFM

Hehe

Love the spoiler on mine......

They are a thing of true beauty that's for sure...... How they improved the look of the original car I don't know - but they did!!

And your blacks round the windows looks lovely as well

Only here once

I pulled the pin in my powder one when the S3 went on fire and the thing didnt work.

Lessons learned, make sure they are in date and work.

You can often free the powder in an old extinguisher with a sharp tap on the ground. Better to have a properly functioning one off course, but still good to know in an emergency.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Im suprised these extinguishers are powder.  I would have thought CO2.  Any reason why?

• Gold FFM

From a school day project.....a few years ago.....

Powder is better at smothering liquid fires....and disperses less when used outside......

Sure is messy to clean up - easier than cleaning up the s2.2 in France though

Only here once