Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit V8 project - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit V8 project

I love it, another cloth interior. Looks great. Much better than leather.

Chris

Don't listen to those pansies, Rob. The current air filter location looks totally badass and should be retained. :D 

Besides, you would have to change your avatar, and who has time for that?

yeah I think I can live with it as is! besides I fine tuning it to suck bra`s off!

ok not much to tell at the moment, a mate at work told me to use a clay bar on the grinder fallout? after work tonight I did. WOW! that stuff was amazing how easy it got it off. The car was covered in it and most of its gone now I hope! run out of time it was too dark to finish it.

Loving this thread. I am not a fan of big wheels on the G car but this looks great. Can't wait to see the results of a rolling road session (assuming there will be done of course) and look forward to hearing about the ride and handling from the air suspension. Looks great lowered. Just what the S3 needs. Shame it is so restricted on the standard set up. It sits too high in my opinion. As for keeping it original, Zagato, Scaglietti, Touring et al didn't hold back on making their own stamp on Ferarris etc ;-)

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Ok, bit of a update on what's happening with the Esprit! had the MOT booked on Thursday and was running around like a headless chicken trying to get everything ready for the first drive to the MOT Station! headlights have been playing up so took the lift relays out when I managed to get them both up. Brakes have been a major pain getting bleed, and never really got it 100% and also the odd electrical item randomly plays up but if it fails at least I have a list of things to put right?

10 mins before I am ready to go I find out I have no reverse gear! fookin great! so franticly adjust the cable and get it working! off to the MOT! driving out the drive for the first time was pretty nerve wrecking, my arse was twitching like a rabbits nose with horrible thoughts of things going wrong and being stranded! I was right to be worried! the brakes were not working pedal was hardish but it would not stop the car just coasting it slowly like the brakes are made of wood! other than that it was going well.....got about a mile down the duel carriage way and the temp gauges is at meltdown and I have steam coming out the back! yes another fukc sake moment and I pull it over to the side of the road. Really miffed at all the hassle this car has to give me. Turns out one of the water hoses has a cut due to it rubbing on the crank pulley, when I finally got the car to the MOT it failed on the brakes no surprise! they are only working at 43% and hand brake at 13% and a indicator not working. The drive home was interesting........only just made it! the brakes were binding and by the time I got to my road I had to use the torque of the v8 to push it home! the brakes were nearly seized on, even the clutch had smoke coming out the gearbox. All the stuff dreams are made of NOT!

On the plus side, they guys at the MOT station gave the car a big thumbs up and really liked the engine install, and the mods done to the car, I also don't need to use first gear! and this car doesn't turn heads it snaps necks! no waiting at junctions people let me out!

Indicator now fixed, pushrod in servo now adjusted so no more binding it appears my new replacement master cylinder was different than the old one. So just have to bleed the brakes again and sort out the handbrake.  Rob

Ok another Esprit back on the road! Passed the MOT today well chuffed I can drive it now and reap the rewards of all the hard work, all the despair and agony we go through, willing ourselves to keep at it and wishing the car to be finished, thinking the day will never come when we can actually drive it and enjoy it. Really stoked it drove to the MOT station without a break down! and driving it home was awesome. That engine has so much power the torque its great just pulls like a train and the sound is fantastic I will never need a stereo, plenty still to do sorting out all the teething problems but its all down hill now.
  • Like 1

Congratulations. I look forward to seeing the car in the flesh one day.

Chris

Guest modifiedv8engines

Nice project and knowing these engines very well, it should perform in your fairly light and areodynamic S3. 

Engine would benifit from ducting from the side ears/cheeks as the engine bays in these cars get very hot - 300 BHP = lots and lots of kilowatts and with GRP for insulation......power falls away quite rapidly.

Cold air to the engine = denser air, more oxygen molecules, equals more power and more power than many would think or estimate. Need to be careful with the design, if indeed you do go down that route at a later stage to create a "ram air" system as it can upset the carb jetting.  

Careful with the Citroen transaxle though as these are a bit weak but expect you already knew this anyway.

Give me a shout if you need any help with get the most from the motor.......built and modified many and designed my own ram air system on a Vitesse long before the likes of K&N with their system 

Interested in how the car performs - you may already now about the Modsports Esprit that ran a Wilcat 550 BHP Buick/Rover V8 ?? If not then I think the car is stil  on Ian Richardsons ( Wildcat Eng) website

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, yes engine bay temps is a real issue at the moment. I am looking into fitting some electric fans as well because when caught in traffic its going to boil over. Will look at the wildcat site for that modsport Esprit bet they did not keep the stock gearbox! Regards Rob

Guest modifiedv8engines

Rob

I think they used a Hewland box so to buy one of these its about £8000 worth. Best stick with the citroen and just take it easy or at least get rolling before you floor it.

Have a look on Ebay Rob - theres a Esprit V8 Race car for sale and a couple of pictures of the engine bay which may give you some ideas about ducting and cooling. Could use a 74 deg stat so the engine warms up more gently or remove the guts from the stat to keep it running much cooler during the warmer days.

Also check you have all the air out of the cooling sytem as the manifold sits higher than the top of the rad so even in TVRs.and Rover SD1 etc etc they are prone to heat spikes and if you dont watch it block liner issues.  

As Buddsy says .....not much of the Esprit left when the Wildcat motor and other stuff was fitted/modified but was kinda still an Esprit but not unless you "squint"

Or the Chassis....body...wheels....brakes....Steering....Actually the only thing it has in common with an Esprit is it looks a bit like one in side profile if you squint!

Buddsy :lol:

still a wicked car, they do say less is more..........

Drove to work today in the Esprit, very interesting.........2 people thought it was a Lamborghini!! most people didn't have a clue and had never seen one before and a few knew exactly what it was but had no idea that the engine was not original? also my first drive in the dark and wet! no dash board lights! the headlights did work if you can call them working? and the back end was like driving on ice. If she keeps going with no major break downs could be my daily driver from now on (only local trips for now). Who else has a G car as a daily?

Before kids came along mine was, so for about 3-4 years. From that time I can tell you the heater is not too bad, but in winter a dehumidifier in the cabin helps. Lights are not great and I never totally eliminated the pod shake. And do not even think about going anywhere in snow.

Lights are not great 

Your being too kind my headlights are like candles! and I have no heater, I did take it out again tonight with the candle power headlights and no dash lights it was worth the risk of a breakdown! just so I could rag it around town. The sound is so addictive I just wanted to go around and around.........V8 soundtrack AWESOME!

Rob, my suggestion of the day for you is this:  Grab your credit card, change the third letter of your given name to "n" and head for the nearest parts store. Act like you're new in town, mention that you're scouting for locations for your next flic, and proceed with a shopping fling. :D 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.