Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 35 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

• Gold FFM

Not long to wait at all - and once the waiting over - @Steve V8s pain and suffering will be at least double yours @ian29gte :sofa:

In reality it's probably 4 times - just don't tell him just yet :lol:

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

He did let me play with his hose.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Job done, absolute iece of piss, only two cups of tea required, too.

Although we have now decided to change all the washer tubing while we're at it. It's amazing what you can achieve when the wives have gone shopping, eh?

IMG_3899.JPG

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Pop down and sort it then, old chap.  Right after you've done the SE heater diaphragms.  Quick sticks!

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Annoyingly, we found someone had 'been in there' around the heater area, and the original Ranco water valve had been left dangling by its thermocouple. Sparky first thought the heater had been directly plumbed in. That would have explained why I've never yet turned the heater control on, and always complained the cabin was too hot, but closer inspection revealed an alternative valve had been fitted in a very awkward place to get to. He also noticed that the diverter valve actuator wasn't connected, which again pointed to previous interference.

We spent some time trying to figure out why the change had been made, whether the Ranco valve had been faulty, and also how it actually worked, but after a good deal of head scratching we gave up and went down the pub.

Slightly the worse for wear this morning after a few pints of Gadd's Seasider in The Fez.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Update - thought I'd start sorting out the four lower chassis pipes for the heater and charge cooler, and spent a good deal of Tuesday with my arm down the gearchange hole. Eat your heart out, James Herriot.

I cut new, highly-sophisticated, Lotus split-rubber heater hose pieces and slid them into place on the pipes, as the old ones had all fallen off, and were rolling around in the chassis. It was clear the pipes had to be cushioned, or I would be having knocking noises when the pipes hit the chassis, and as I'd already found three other sources of knocking noises, I needed to cover this one off, too.

I tried to cable-tie the hose pieces in situ, but access was too poor. I gave up, slid them back under the hole, and cable-tied them loosely before sliding them into position and then tightening the ties. I still think the pipes need cushioning underneath the hose pieces as there's still a small gap, so I've blagged a piece of rubber jointing to cut to size and will fit it later on.

The new oil cooler pipes proved to be a little bit of a challenge whilst on my own. I gave up trying to pull them through the chassis from the rear, the angled unions being too obstructive, and switched to feeding them through from the front. After a good deal of faffing around and harsh language, I gave in and got the missus on the case. With her smaller arm, only minutes later, the pipes were in situ, and we retired for G&T's.

Next job is to cable tie them together, and get them orientated so the oil cooler unions are in the correct position, and then I can start on the main coolant pipes.

Having some spare time yesterday, I had yet another go at removing the old carpet set. All but the floor pieces under the seats are stuck down so hard, I cannot shift them, so this morning I went out and bought a hot-air gun in the hope that I can soften the glue enough to do the job. I have to be careful I don't destroy them 'cos Steve is going to make a new set for me, and he'll need the old ones as a pattern.

On a different note, the Gliptone/Liquid Leather car care kit has arrived, with the grey-coloured dye. I have to say that for £30 (special offer at the mo), there's a lot in the kit for your money.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

45 minutes to get one poxy bit of sill carpet out, FFS.

Still, on a brighter note, thus far under the carpet I've found a 1983 50p piece, and a 25 Peseta coin with a hole in the middle which is worth about 8p. This treasure trove will ease the financial burden of the refurb no end.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

You could have ended up like all of us... with cigarettes butts

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

It's crisis time!

The trimmer has asked me for the seats to be delivered to him next week, and there's still a heated debate ensuing about carpet colours in the household. SteveV8 here is going to make the carpets for me, but I need to tell him which colour, and binding to use so in the absence of any agreement, I thought I'd throw it open to see what responses I get from you. As you know, the car is Lotus racing green metallic, the leather trim will be magnolia.

1. Dark green carpet? If so what colour binding, green or magnolia?

2. Beige carpet (as per original)?

3. Seats piped in green?

4. Seats piped in magnolia?

The world is your lobster, off you go.............

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I feel for you; it must be awful having to choose a colour.

I'm just popping out to remove a fuel tank...

Dark carpet, green binding and piping gets my vote. Light carpets are a bugger to keep clean...

Sparky, I hope that's a LHS fuel tank?

Either of you...how does the glove box lid attach to the fixed dash? I assume rivets from underneath, or screw from the top, before the main dash goes in. Pop took it out 13 years ago and his memory is a bit flaky ?

I spent most of last week in the lotus position shown above doing the wiring and vac lines, so I feel for you. Fortunately, the heater matrix and wiper motor need no attention...

I vote  RED also,  Love the colour and looks classy especially in a supercar !  Looks even better on a green car,  you only have to look at the E is for evora thread to see that :)  

But every one is different, so going of your list i would say the piping should be green to go with magnolia seats :thumbup:

A