Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

• Gold FFM

yes, press for bushes out and in. Ian turned up a nice insertion tool that made it very easy. To get the links/sleeves out, a nice bit of M12 stud, nuts, washers and suitable drift. And a hacksaw for the awkward bits.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

So, what is the de-facto way of removal and refitting of bushes without bending links and wishbones? I'm guessing you guys used a press?

The old bushes can be pushed out using a vice, a suitable piece of tube, and a solid round bar, it doesn't matter if you destroy them. Another method I have used to good effect when the tools haven't been available is simply to set fire to them with a blowtorch, and let the rubber burn away.

Fitting the new poly bushes without damaging them is virtually impossible, or at the least extremely difficult, without a purpose-made jig/tool, and a vice, or most preferably, a press.

Margate Exotics.

Ok, thanks for the input. I'd surmised as much :) Guess I'll be looking out for a 10-ton press.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

No, you shouldn't need a 10-tonne press to push them in, nowhere near it, Vanya. The only reason I used a 30-tonne bench press was because its the only one I had access to. You only need to make sure it has the correct travel to push the bushes in in one go.

Margate Exotics.

Ok! Got it!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Wow i can learn something from this whole topic guys,

Thanks Ian for sharing so much pictures, maby i must get my petrol tanks also out into the future, then i know how i must ask!

(i also own a S4s) keep on with the good work! looks very very good all what you did on the car,

Some more photos:

Finished off covering the boot floor with the Thermal Velocity heat shield material. Again, it's not an easy job to do, firstly stripping the old stuff off is tedious, and secondly it takes a long time to decide how best to put the new material down with some many compound curves involved, without wasting too much.

2015-03-29%2017.19.24_zpsqubfzozh.jpg

The S4 flywheel back from being rotary ground, they've made a very nice job, too.

image.jpg4_zpsx9ailtoz.jpg

Finally got the exhaust valve clearances sorted. I must have had the cam carrier on and off about 10 times, or at least it seemed like it. I ended up grinding one last shim down about 0.003", and now they're all in the 11-12 thousandths range, which I'm pleased about. The inlet clearances were already within tolerances, so I didn't have to remove that cam carrier.

2015-04-10%2015.25.18_zps1p2c5q1q.jpg

Mocking up the carbon canister pipework. The black thing in the middle is the non return valve that sits up behind the EH rear buttress.

2015-03-24%2016.47.18_zpsasnhnrga.jpg

While the engine was out, I took the time to complete the bulkhead bracket modification, which involves removing the brackets, shortening them a few millimetres, and reinstalling them. It took about an hour, but I'm assured by Sparky that it's a far more difficult job with the engine in situ.

2015-04-07%2015.35.03_zps8j4ufedw.jpg

2015-04-07%2015.34.50_zpszredeicy.jpg

Margate Exotics.

I took the time to complete the bulkhead bracket modification, which involves removing the brackets, shortening them a few millimetres,

Another memo I missed.

Is this because the bukhead wood shrinks? Or does it provide some kind of extra clearance for something?

I recently found the pipes perished on my not so old charcoal cannister. I'm wondering if my cannister has actually been doing anything the last few years :P

Edited by Qavion

I refitted the rear suspension, driveshafts and damper bushes yesterday. I could have done with a few more arms to hold stuff, but I got there in the end. At least that's one job I won't have to do again for some time. I can't tighten anything up yet, because I haven't got any weight in the car, so that will have to wait until the engine and box is back in, and I can get some fuel in.

image.jpg2_zpsvuzthdn6.jpg

image.jpg1_zpssi8r4qvc.jpg

I removed the pipes off of the original filter block, and mocked up the new Mocal oil thermostat. The photo shows how you have to remove some material from the unions in order for the filter to be able to sit properly.

image.jpg3_zpspfaxyg3f.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsqpewh6tq.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

After a long search, I finally found a fitting suitable for the turbo lower coolant port. It came from China, in 5 days. Amazing.

image.jpg3_zpslxla4nfm.jpg

And the "nursery" for the engine and gearbox is pretty much ready to accept them back in.

image.jpg1_zps3tfmkep2.jpg

image.jpg2_zps4pq448wa.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Don't they use Ferrari use Fram oil filters? Seen loads of them fitted with the orange ones

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Finally got the engine and gearbox back together, and fitted back into the car. The biggest problem I had was fitting the turbo drain, as I had to file the flange side down to clear the turbo body, which put me back a while. Now the fun starts trying to remember where all the pipe and wires go.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Great feeling to have the engine go back in, isn't it? From now on, each step is direct step towards driving her again. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Loving that - tis only one way to go now.

Pictures do make me slightly nervous - mines a keeper and I'm sure it'll be in the 5year plan!!!

Only here once