Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 76 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

A little more progress, but the garage bench needs to be cleared once again, so that will be tomorrow. 25 year’s worth of crap and bits of floribunda have been revealed. I’m convinced this engine has not been apart before, at least I have no paperwork to suggest it. I did replace the coolant pump, which still looks in good condition so I’ll reuse it.

8A6B1F94-B1B1-49BB-98B4-E16EE978F5FD.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

That looks pretty good for 25 years of service, you should have seen the state of mine when it came out. From what I can see in the photo it looks like Dave's post on removing damaged studs came at a good time for you!

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, Sparky said:

@Dan E To engineers, yes.  You'll just be changing fuses.

We just reset circuit breakers theses days!! 

So my version of this, will be ring you to take the engine out?? I just need to prepare myself for all this 

• Gold FFM

You''ll be doing your cambelt.  And I'll be sharing the video.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Let me know if you need to borrow anything.  My kitchen is fully stocked.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Not much progress on the engine today, mostly it’s been spent clearing and tidying the garage, under the wife’s direction.

I did manage a start on splitting the inlet manifold and throttle bodies, and put aside some of the bits which will go for vapour cleaning in due course, but first I need to get some Gunk and clean the worst of the shit off first, so that’s tomorrow’s job. I’m hoping that the ambient warms up enough to paint, and if so I’ll have a go at stripping and repainting the bits that have the red wrinkle finish.

Margate Exotics.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the Gunk Ultra Engine Degreaser which looks like a pink liquid is useless.

The original Gunk Engine Degreaser in the orange tin is the one to use.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 14:19, Sparky said:

Let me know if you need to borrow anything.  My kitchen is fully stocked.

Camshaft sprocket puller. They're resisting all my attempts.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, Giniw said:

Are they that tight? Why do one need a special puller? Is there something specific about these sprockets?

Yes, they're tight, at least these ones are. A puller is the best way to remove them without damaging them, or what they’re attached to, but clearly it needs to fit the sprocket properly. 

Margate Exotics.

Finally got the camshaft and auxiliary sprockets shifted. Looks like some kind person had used a thread lock liquid in the past, which was decidedly unhelpful. Disassembly continues, top end is nearly done now, then it’s over to the block. On first inspection the liners look really good, no step that I can feel, no scoring of signs of leakage. The pistons crowns are a bit coked up though, as are the combustion chambers.

Once the alloy bits have been removed and degreased I’ll get a price on vapour blasting the relevant parts so it’ll look nice. There’s a chap local to me who does a nice job, and I’ve got the wife on standby to paint strip the wrinkle finish red parts, and respray them.

5A5CBE72-C846-420C-A87A-6B12B22332B5.jpeg

D0956CBE-33B0-4A0B-8835-F4670C436F65.jpeg

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Yeah, give it to Bibs for a couple of hours; that'll sort the other 80%.

• Like 1