Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
game over... - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

game over...

Escape

With deep regret I have to announce my beloved Turbo SE is no more.

A fire completely destroyed my workshop 2 weeks ago, and all the cars, parts and equipment in it. I was lucky to get out alive myself. The Esprit, Stag and 2 Range Rovers, all rebuilt or modified by myself and my friends, were damaged far beyond any hope of repair. :( 

The Esprit was a boyhood dream that became real for me, it actually lived up to all my expectations. I really enjoyed owning and especially dricing it, and even working on it.

I am looking at replacement, but so far Esprits seem either to expensive for my taste or just too far off of what I had. I'd really like another SE and would probably do most of the modifiucation again. Maybe sometime in the future. The 3 years owning it (and 1,5 years driving it) and being on this forum have only added the attraction Lotus has always had. I'm consdering an Excel to fill the gap, so I'll probably pop over in that section sooner or later.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

blimey......

glad youre ok........

what is it with fires recently?...

my mate has a lotus collection but had a fire....

he managed to get 4 of the 5 out but the mk1 lotus Cortina bought it.....

Filip

have you thought about the M100 elan.........very grinish

and quite practical too........and still at reasonable money

just a thought

cheers

G

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Hell's teeth!! Words can't convey this stuff. All the work and thought and effort....at least you are OK. The same thing very nearly happened to me about 20 years ago, but I just got away with it. Hope the insurance pays out for some more nice toys.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

:shock:

I moaned about having to fireproof my new garage for the building regs. Might not be such a bad idea now.

Any idea how it started?

Real shame to lose another Turbo SE. I had one, it was my first Lotus and I've had a soft spot for them ever since.

Sorry to hear this :(

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Really sorry to hear about your problems. I can imagine how I would feel if it was me.....just gutted.

Hope it all works out in the end at least you didn't get hurt.

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement.

I've been out to see a possible replacement today, but I found the Esprit left me with very high standards. So the search goes on.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Really sorry to hear this Filip. Hope you can get everything sorted out. Stoked that you are ok. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

A '90 Excel SE. Very nice car, in good shape both body and mechanicals, but I couldn't quite connect to it and was disappointed by the interior space and driving position. Which is a shame, because I could really see me in something special like an Excel (never seen one on the road, unlike Esprits). 

I know an M100 Elan would be a good, rational choice, a great car for reasonable money. But not my cup of tea,

No offense meant to either car, I guess I'm just being difficult.

• Gold FFM

That's the trouble when comparing ....... Never do it with the wife/girlfriend !!!!

Grab a nice esprit - you know you want to!!!

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly 1 month after, I got myself another Lotus. :-)

I looked at several options, and then chose to stick to what I know: an Esprit Turbo SE. We drove her home from UK yesterday, now I need to change the lights to LHD spec and get the paperwork sorted, should take about 2 weeks. Already thinking of having the upper halve wrapped in black, like on my previous one, and making some other modifications I know are worthwhile.

I'll post pics when I get some.

Filip

• Like 1