Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crank Pulley Removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Crank Pulley Removal

cammmy

Hi Guys

Having a crack at the timing belt this weekend but nothing has been going right for me.

I've loosened the triple-v pulley and was checking out how hard it will be to get off. Definitely can't do it by hand, persuasion with a mallet is doing nothing, pry bars won't budge it and If I put my puller in there, I can't get a spanner on it.

How do people get it off?

After reading the various topics I was reasonably confident going into this (having done timing belts before) but I'm really struggling with this one. Everything seems impossible to get to and remove and everything looks like it has to come off before everything else.

Ta

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's like an oil filter wrench but uses a v belt rather than a plain strap or chain... not got a link but I'll see if I can find one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Durite-Wrench-Alternator-Belt-Pulley/dp/B0085N68DW

Hopefully cheaper alternatives is you do some research.

I would definitely get some proper penetrating fluid in there (not WD-40!), and be patient. I use Aero-Kroil, but everyone has their magic favorite. Acetone mixed with ATF supposedly works well.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Yep, penetrating fluid, and a gentle rocking motion alternating sides with a rubber or plastic mallet or the rubber strap wrench mentioned above.  It has a woodruff key, so you need to rock it on that.  The pulley is aluminum and will expand faster with heat, compared to the crank.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Sometimes you just have to hammer the crap out of them.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Cool, cheers guys.

I have plusgas, just need a syringe as I can't get the tin in there. Also have a crème brulee torch thing that will hopefully help.

Will then apply different styles of violence.

Ta

I always find in situations like this,  care and temperance with gentle persuasion usually

gets the desired results........

Failing that treat it like the ex wife............ give it everything you've got.... and then some..

Unfortunately the later is usually followed by tears...........oh..so many tears.... 

I've ordered various tools to try and make the whole job easier. For the crank pulley, I'll use plusgas, heat, gentle persuasion and an old belt with some molegrips as a makeshift pulley tool.