Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Eletre - Page 19 - Eletre Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Eletre

auRouge

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
13 hours ago, NedaSay said:

So to "reassure" the SUV haters here,  they are not doing chassis tune for Lynk & Co, it is the Lotus SUV underneath, and  from the pics published on Motor1 looks like there's a lot of aluminium under the skin at the back be a powertrain/dynamics mule and no exhaust pipe visible so full EV. 

I don't understand why no exhaust means full EV? Our Skoda Karoq has no exhaust visible and the only battery in it is the one that starts the 1.8 ltr engine.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

^^The full EV conjecture comes from the direct observation of  a fellow poster of this very forum. The mule he saw was completely silent. I do know that this SUV will probably also come in PHEV and good old petrol burner but this mule is probably EV. 

lotus-suv-mule-spy-photo.jpg

asking a friend for the translation  for the chinese writings as i write this.Probably something the lines of high voltage and not sure she will be able to decipher it but worth a try.

Edited by NedaSay

• Gold FFM

Ah. I have not seen an all electric vehicle in good ol' Oz at all so if they had those on the windscreens, I would not know.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Porsche Macan for Mrs Bazza and have to say it is a very nice bit of kit. If the Lotus SUV had been out I would probably have bought one..  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe not shelved but put to the back of the queue.  Popham said in an interview a few months back that the focus was on new sports cars that appeal more to the mass market and selling them in greater numbers.  Once they achieved this they would consider developing a SUV.  He also said he would not be happy with using a rebadged platform from Volvo or other members of the Geely group.  The SUV would have to align well with the Lotus values of light weight, great handling, connected feel with the car etc ...  So either a bespoke platform for the Lotus SUV or a new group platform with heavy influence from Lotus.

• Like 1

This is probably best idea. IMO no point in making an SUV until the Lotus brand and dealership network has been built back up more.

It would be awesome if Geely allows them to create it from ground up instead of using existing platform.

• Like 1

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

• 1 month later...

Looks like the SUV skate is ready, Volvo just unveiled its CMA based XC40 full EV, this is in essence the base of the upcoming Lotus SUV who should borrow exactly the same powertrain architecture if seriously spruced up

Volvo-XC40-EV-Underpinnings-1-e156942107

Volvo and Geely will retain McPhersons strut and multilink at the back but I do expect Lotus will stick to its sporty true and tested double wishbone at the front and possibly at the back if the wheelbase of the prototype last spotted in July 2019 is anything to go by.

Volvo-XC40-EV-Underpinnings-10.jpg

To make matters simple for Lotus, Volvo and Geely saw fit to build an aluminum craddle for the the battery pack "the battery is protected by a safety cage which consists of a frame of extruded aluminium, and has been embedded in the middle of the car’s body structure, creating a built-in crumple zone around the battery." So building an aluminium chassis around that should not be too tricky

https://paultan.org/2019/09/25/fully-electric-volvo-xc40-suv-set-for-october-16-debut-ev-will-be-one-of-the-safest-cars-on-the-road/

Also, this Volvo sibling is going to be loaded with the latest tech in driver assistance and by just looking at the position Lotus has been trying to fill recently, the Lotus SUV may very well get its own bespoke version of this driver assistance package.

• Like 2

Can I just ask something please? You present this as a fact that any upcoming Lotus SUV will be based upon this platform. Do you have insider info or is it simply speculation based on what Lotus management may have said in the past?

I’m not criticising you in any way, but just curious as you often seem to present your views about forthcoming Lotus products as factual, so I assume you must have some inside info. Or is it mostly an educated guess?

As I said, please don’t take this as criticism in any way, but I’m just curious to know. 👍

• Like 1

Recouping information is what I do for a living :).

By the way I did not say the SUV would be based on this platform I did say that the SUV will be using this powertrain. The vehicle platform or chassis will be "bespoke" to Lotus.

Edited by NedaSay

Ah ok, thanks for your explanation. I took these few words.............." this is in essence the base of the upcoming Lotus SUV " as you meaning the entire Volvo platform would be the basis of a Lotus SUV, especially when you started off by saying ......."looks like the SUV skate is ready."  I understand you also said.........."who should borrow exactly the same powertrain architecture" but it wasn't clear to me this was the only part you meant would be carried over.

By the way, I travelled through/near your city only a few weeks ago whilst passing through from Banff to Kamloops. A beautiful area! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It is alive they are just running it in the background, and a lot of work is being undertaken away from Hethel... Lotus has a full contingent of engineers working from the new Greater Shanghai R&D and engineering centers and the new Geely-Lotus in Wuhan must not be too far from completion...

Still I do think it is due for a 2022 release not a 2020. Also the specs in the article are vastly different from the ones initial hinted at by the previous management, then again the current leadership has played it pretty coy   ever since

Lotus will realistically share the platform with a number of Geely product on this one including this :

LynkCo-Zero-3.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

the Lynk & Co Zero is the group latest market ready concept and it share more than a little resemblance with the Lotus SUV patent drawings.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NedaSay said:

It is alive they are just running it in the background, and a lot of work is being undertaken away from Hethel... Lotus has a full contingent of engineers working from the new Greater Shanghai R&D and engineering centers and the new Geely-Lotus in Wuhan must not be too far from completion...

Still I do think it is due for a 2022 release not a 2020. Also the specs in the article are vastly different from the ones initial hinted at by the previous management, then again the current leadership has played it pretty coy   ever since

Lotus will realistically share the platform with a number of Geely product on this one including this :

LynkCo-Zero-3.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

the Lynk & Co Zero is the group latest market ready concept and it share more than a little resemblance with the Lotus SUV patent drawings.

Want!

Not sure I will ever own a SUV but delighted if Lotus can find a product that the wider public want.

I rather like the lack of news from Lotus Cars Ltd. It certainly beats the bells, whistles and trumpets of Mr DB.

Justin