Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Flood Clear Mode - Use to Prime Oil? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Flood Clear Mode - Use to Prime Oil?

cammmy

Hi Guys

I read in the manual the other day that if you floor the throttle while cranking, it will go into flood clear mode and cut the injectors. Has anyone tried using this to get the oil circulating before firing the car?

I've never been happy with the fact the car fires and runs before oil is flowing properly. I also don't want to try this and have it fire up with no oil and 100% throttle X-D

Ta

I know the gauge seems to take FOOOOR-EEVVVEEEER to register pressure at a cold start. :no

But I think it is pumping oil 'way before the gauge moves.

Not speaking for the crank and rod journals, but the camshafts retain pools of oil after shutdown, so at least you won't have to worry about camshaft wear. 

Still, you need rapid ignition after cranking to get the revs up to normal and the oil fully flowing. So IMO there is no benefit to trying to crank the engine without starting. :thumbdown:

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Like Atwell said.

Clear flood mode does work on the Esprit (89+ anyways, not sure about earlier), but you really won't see any oil pressure on the gauge.  And eventually it'll kill the battery...  But it isn't a bad idea to circulate some oil before starting this way.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Yeah, just looking to get a bit of oil into the oily bits before firing really. Not expecting to see pressure (I don't have a gauge anyway).

I just don't like hearing the tappets on startup. It doesn't happen if I've used it the day before so I think it would be beneficial

I'm using Mobil1 15W-50 oil (SL grade) and I don't get any tappet noise at a cold start.

Oil and filter brand can affect the presence of these noises. I realize that UK/Euro fluids can differ from the USA, but perhaps some experimentation is in order. Perhaps springing for a Lotus (Crosland) OEM filter would be a good place to start? (Supposedly the Lotus filter has a very robust anti-drainback valve)

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I get the same tappet noise on startup when cold. Don't get it after a run though. As Bibs has said many times before (I believe), the anti-drain back valve only works when the filter is vertically inverted. Not nearly as efficient mounted horizontally as ours are.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Cammmy,

If you want to do it that way, just fit a switch so you can turn off the fuel pump while cranking..

I have retro fitted a primmer system to my latest build which provides up to 4.5 bar oil pressure

before even cranking... As with most of my mods its still in testing but working very well..

The down side is cost.. 

Cammy, on my Turbo SE i believe its ignition on first, then pedal to floor; then crank

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Cammmy,

If you want to do it that way, just fit a switch so you can turn off the fuel pump while cranking..

I have retro fitted a primmer system to my latest build which provides up to 4.5 bar oil pressure

before even cranking... As with most of my mods its still in testing but working very well..

The down side is cost.. 

Wouldn't it be better to fit the switch to the injectors, to avoid any pressurized fuel in the rail still being injected? We always disconnect the injectors when doing compression tests for example.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I believe the engine needs to initially crank before the ecu recognises what you're asking it to do.  

Dave,

Doesn't the system remain pressurised long after the pump has stopped, hence the requirement of using rags to stop spraying fuel igniting on hot manifolds when disconnecting the fuel lines?

Cheers,

John W

Dave,

Doesn't the system remain pressurised long after the pump has stopped, hence the requirement of using rags to stop spraying fuel igniting on hot manifolds when disconnecting the fuel lines?

It sure does. Simpler to trip the fuel pump cut off and crank the engine to release remaining pressure in the rail. Although you still need a cup and rags since the whole rail is full of fuel. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Dave,

Yes to a degree, But i thought we were talking about cold start, not much of an issue there..

If it takes an age for the oil pressure to come up after it has been running, then there is other

issues a foot like an air leak on pick up pipe..

I always use the pressure test valve on the rail to bleed off the fuel pressure before disconnecting

the lines.. simply screw on with pipe attached to suitable container, job done,  

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. Pressure doesn't take an age to come up, it was more around using a feature to our advantage if it already happened to be there.

I'll hopefully have the new ECU in there at some point. Hopefully I'll either be able to configure a similar function or with the Bluetooth module, turn the fuel pump of from my phone before cranking.

Dave, have you got an accusump?

^I've checked it before and it was, will look again though.

Advantage, I would have thought that every engine would benefit having oil to it's bearings before it fires? For the sake of pushing the throttle and cranking it for a short period before firing, why wouldn't you?

If maintained correctly these engines are good for 200k+ miles without major issues and the designers did have some understanding of the starting procedures they would be subjected to.

Yes, the operator does have an influential input into its longevity, but just starting the thing up using the prescribed method of the manufacturer won't be the defining factor in the length of serviceable life. 

That's true, but for 0 effort the return is surely worth it? It won't be the defining factor but I'd have thought reducing dry starts is going to help the motor get to that 200K+?