Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Donald. - Page 28 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Donald.

Advantage

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
10 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

So they should have a vote as a future administration will affect them

Should have a vote as a US citizen, yes, in those circumstances.

However in Britain, you can be a British citizen, but not live here, and not pay any taxes here (hence the reason for the tax haven homes). So no vote as far as I am concerned.

However, not a British Citizen. But permanently live here (not the same as having rights of residence/work) and work and pay taxes here. Then as far as I am concerned you should be able to vote.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 10/11/2020 at 08:27, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Just a quick question on the “two nations separated by a common language” theme.

In the UK a turtle is a water-borne creature with flippers and a tortoise is its land-based cousin with legs, often kept as pets.

In the US it seems that both animals are called turtles. Is that correct?

I think we make the same distinction but that won't account for sloppy usage by the scientifically illiterate of which we seem to have a surplus.    

'17 Evora 400 MT 

The guardian is reporting today that he's now asking his supporters to fund his 'election defense fund', which apparently has small print saying a good portion of it (50% or something!) toward paying his campaign debts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

If he believes so strongly in it, he could use some of his clothing industry sweatshop profits to fund it himself, couldn't he?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I think he's been living rich off of borrowed money most of his life. Now that he's heading out of office I'm waiting for the debtors to come calling. (and of course the IRS). Throw in a few criminal charges and I think he's scrambling to scam the next mark now that the President game is up.

he's not a very nice man but he is a product of America and you could argue his ilk are celebrated and held up of what you can achieve as the American Dream. America has worshipped at the idol of celebrity and success for a long time. So why anyone should be surprised characters like Trump come along is beyond my wits to understand.

So @Loquacious Lew are you laying the blame for America's societal issues now on the founding fathers? I do wonder how people who died 200 years ago can be held accountable for actions today.  I agree that it is the responsibility of individuals to understand their history and strive to amend their laws, customs and regulations to learn the lessons of the past and be the change for the future. It's just a damn crying shame that so many Americans still to have views and beliefs that are at best rooted in the societal norms of the 1950's, at worst, still stuck back in the 18th century!  Slavery was abolished in when, 1865 IIRC in the USA. Again, I find it pretty hard to understand how society's views, in many parts of the US, have not been able to move on and change in the proceeding 155 years!  That is just shocking to be frank. The treatment of native Indians, even to this day, is shameful. As if it wasn't enough to take their lands from them, they remain one of the most heavily discriminated against groups of people anywhere, and this in the land of the free and the home of the leader of the free world!  There are so many contradictions and oxymoron's in the rhetoric that the US loves to peddle.

Trump is not the cause of this. He's an old git. But he is not THAT old!  He is a product of the success at all costs, you can be whatever you dream, it's your right to get rich mantra that is pushed in so many institutions in the US.  He is a product of "old American families". However, whilst you can wonder why he got in in the first place, you really, in my very humble opinion, need to wonder about why the Democrats could not stop him winning first time round.  That is the real shocker.

Trump is not the first President to be impeached. He is not the first to be found out to have told lies. To have manipulated policies. Etc. He won't be the last either. We can learn that from history.

To blame everything on Trump is easy. But scapegoating always has been easy.  Would I like him as a ruler of my country? Absolutely not. Would I like to work for him? Absolutely not. Would I like him as a neighbour? Absolutely not. Is he the Devil reincarnated? No. He's just an opportunist with a massive ego and the ability to convince people. Musk reminds me of Trump in many ways. To so many Americans he is worshipped and adored. A visionary. A superb business man. Yadda yadda.  Remind me again how much profits his companies have ever made against how much cash they have consumed to get there?  

America's a great country. I've worked for two American companies and spent a lot of time there. I love it. But it does need to tackle the racism "issue" once and for all and it does need to start to level the playing field.  The problem is, not even Biden as President will scratch the surface of that issue.

I'm glad Trump is going. I truly am. The next five years hopefully will show some real change. Though how much of that will actually make it in to legislation, I don't know. So maybe it is the people who need to be the driver of change. to set the example to the Politicians and one that they will be forced to follow.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Trump services American greed. He's the scam man selling you a dream and  many are too greedy and gullible and believe his used car salesman pitch. Shame on them. I steer clear of carnival barker types. I like how for several months he's been selling "the cure is just around the corner" and "the election will be a fraud if I don't win".

His daddy got him the money to begin the scam (not self made) with real estate and he gambles and defaults with taxpayer money.

Trump, Trump just go away and take your spawn with you and hopefully the gullible have learned a lesson..

• Like 1

It’s not only the USA that as good news on the political front in the last week the Uk as to celebrate with this departure today.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loquacious Lew said:

Apparently we're not that far apart

I agree and appreciate the robust, but respectful debate. Thank you for that. 👍

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM

A joke for everyone.

Q) What is the difference between Richard Nixon and Donald Trump?

A) Richard Nixon was honest.

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

In comparison to DT