Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora clutch change poll... - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora clutch change poll...

Has your Evora had a new clutch (based on wear or age related failure)  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 13 March 2016 at 20:41, blueg33 said:

65k miles but clutch was changed at 32k miles but not wear related. So current one is 33k miles.

Mine is now 38k on current clutch. Car has 70k on the clock. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 year later...

yes - Evora S 2011, 21k miles. Interesting poll. Good to see most have lasted but from speaking to the amount of people i have to try and remedy the issues i have i can tell you the feeling is this is a little too common. I have also been told a 24cm clutch is never going to be man enough for the torque the supercharged engines put out.

I placed my vote when the poll originally came out.

Since then many of you will be aware of my holed GTE gearbox, so when the replacement gearbox was fitted, I asked Lotus Silverstone to replace the clutch as a precaution. Although nothing to do with the gearbox failure, they were surprised how worn the original clutch was after only 2300 miles. That's including the first 1000 miles running-in with Miss Daisy on board. No modifications , track days or urban driving: it couldn't have had a cosier life.

I am now at 3500 miles: the replacement still feels quite different in action (sharper with a higher bite point), but there is no adjustment possible, so I have just learnt to live with it and it operates fine (touch wood). Nevertheless, I preferred the action of the original fitment.

I am clearly in the minority on here, but my whole Evora S gearbox/clutch experience has put me off upping the power output with a Komotec EV430 kit or similar. That and the near 500 quid extra per year my insurer would demand!  Also, I don't drive the car on a daily basis, so am always impressed with the existing 345bhp performance: any sportscar that does 0 - 60 mph in the low 4's will feel fast enough on the road to me.  Shaving a couple of tenths off that figure with a power upgrade might be nice, but is not essential in my opinion.

Of course, fingers-crossed I may never have another transmission issue with the car and I am being overly cautious. I  intend to keep the car for a very long time, so will be able to report back again in a couple of decades or so. :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

27k  no..  2010 / na  smooth clutch , stiffer than my family waggon, with a lovely ,  crisp,  tight bolt action gear change :)

No, late Dec 2009 car, just gone through 32.5k miles.

Getting the car into 1st isn't what I'd call smooth, but changing up and down others gears is fine. Heavier clutch than my S3 Elise S was, but definitely no slipping.

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

No late 2010 NA 25K miles.  Very good gear change on original cables.  How do you vote in the poll?  Poll states 92 votes but shows 60 No and 7 yes ????

Edited by Whitey

Not wishing to hijack the thread with premature conclusions but I think the 'Evora Clutch problems' are two specific problems not related to short wear life.

The first was a batch of faulty clutches in early cars that dragged slightly - most of these were done under warranty as the clutches lasted about 2k miles or so depending on use.

The second is a heavy pedal and possible inconsistent bite points between cars - not clutch wear related. Interestingly my Elise S 1zz always had a very high bite point which initially concerned me but 3 years later it was the same.

Of course speaking as an IPS owner it doesn't really concern me :)

Edited by gregs24

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, DrRick said:

No, late Dec 2009 car, just gone through 32.5k miles.

Getting the car into 1st isn't what I'd call smooth, but changing up and down others gears is fine. Heavier clutch than my S3 Elise S was, but definitely no slipping.

i just had my transmission oil changed.. the difference is night and day, previously cold it would be a little graunchi first & second... now it smooth as...  best money spen on maintenance in ages..

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 08:45, C8RKH said:

Was that before or after you put the KT430 kit in @saj?

After, but my clutch hadn't completely gone was just on the heavy side. Uprated clutch in there now :)

• 2 years later...

2009 N/A LE - Yes by the previous owner at circa 55k miles , plus gearbox rebuild .... Second is still a crunchy git though especially when cold !!!

6 minutes ago, cdco said:

2009 N/A LE - Yes by the previous owner at circa 55k miles , plus gearbox rebuild .... Second is still a crunchy git though especially when cold !!!

Check your cable adjustment.