Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Relay, headlamp pod delay module, *082M6325F - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Electrical/Alarms/ICE - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Relay, headlamp pod delay module, *082M6325F

INFO
Lotus description: "Relay, headlamp pod delay module"/"Pod delay module"
Lotus part number: *082M6325F
Manufacturer: BMI
BMI part number: 01208E
Cross references: None, specific to the Esprit
Status: Obsolete, SJ Sportscars, the Elise Shop, etc. may have stock

PHYSICAL

Module pic front.jpg

Module pic rear.jpg

BOARD LAYOUT

Board layout.jpg

COMPONENTS

Components.jpg

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM

Diagram.jpg

Car diagram.jpg

FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION
"Headlamp Flasher: The headlamp flasher is operative at all times. If the lever is pulled towards the steering wheel against spring pressure, the headlamp pods will rise with the main beams lit. The headlamps go out when the lever is released, but the pods remain raised for a few seconds in order to avoid unnecessary
oscillations if the lights are repeatedly flashed."

This module provides a delay function of 3.6 seconds (derived from the RC timer component values), as per the above.

COMMENTS
Nice over engineering but thoughtful!

WORKAROUND

Use a "standard" ISO Type B relay:

Workaround relays.jpg

Workaround description.jpg

Workaround relay top.jpg

Workaround relay bottom.jpg

Workaround pic.jpg

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

https://www.electricalcarservices.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1711&L=1&gclid=cnuurqxd78wcfqangwodiyse_a

@swindon_alan what about one of these - bet it only needs a resistor swapping inside.

no scrap that - don't think theres enough bloody pins 

great work on these modules - why were they so complex !!

Only here once

• 2 years later...

I did this mod this morning. It works very well. If you hold back the stem and flick the lights they stay up. I really recommend this modification. It always baffled me that when you flash someone to say thanks or give them right of way the lights stay up for ages (it feels like ages).

Only point I want to make here is the last photo which in my opinion shows the wrong position to make the install. On my car it is the actual green relay in the photo that needs to be removed and replaced with this modified ISO Type B relay. The photo shows the green relay still installed and the other next to it having the mod. That position in my car is for the electric window voltage check relay. 

• Like 1

Hello Eddie, glad you like it.

When I first started looking at the modules I got confused as well as mine didn't tie up with a couple of other V8s (or S4s's) then I realised that the slack in wiring means that you can put a connector/module in almost any holder. So mine were wrong and I corrected them as per the manual (you can check yours against that below) after these module posts. Also note that LHD/RHD are different and GT3 also. Plus don't rely on the colour of the module case, they can be almost anything, whatever BMI had to hand I think!

image.png.e791df62524cdbbbb90584bc09982a7f.png

image.png.6491af75b727a87509e44fb218c4d2f7.png

image.png.de0e2fe38e3729ef071853570e9c244c.png

image.png.aab3f085d81bc300ff169637cf6fa13f.png

• Like 1

That's a great piece of Work. Well done.

Now we only need new delay modules (whe one that sit next to the pod motor left side). Cannot even find the needed parts to redo my own. So my pods stays up, once activated...

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Something like this could be made to work, with the same wiring mod as a standard relay. I kinda like the idea the pods stay up when flashing, in busy city traffic one flash often doesn't get the message across. 😀

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Just to add, If I were to fit a different relay (either standard or timer) instead of the delay module, I'd rewire the relay socket. Easy enough and avoids the extra wire tangle. I guess one should also add a label to warn of non-standard wiring, but as I'm not planning to sell my Esprit ever, that's of no relevance to me.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 10 months later...

Hi Alan

My pod delay module has given up - I really dont use the flash to pass, is there a way to by pass (jumper cable) so the pods will close and the "flash to pass" function at the stock does not work?

Again - thanks for taking the time to figure all of this out.

16 hours ago, Erikl said:

Hi Alan

My pod delay module has given up - I really dont use the flash to pass, is there a way to by pass (jumper cable) so the pods will close and the "flash to pass" function at the stock does not work?

Again - thanks for taking the time to figure all of this out.

Hello @Erikl

From the above post, this should do the trick?

image.png.aa3f326e920eb8f46df96351d63ccbf8.png

Hope that helps, let me know.

Alan

Thanks! 

When I removed the relay with the headlights stuck in the up position - they did not go down.

Did not occur to me to wind them down and them remove the relay.

• Like 1

Hey

So I got the headlights down and removed the module.  Turned on headlights and they came up and worked as normal.  Turned them off and the pods would not go down?

Reinstalled the module and jiggled and thumped and they went down.  Any jumper wire solutions?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Been having this issue myself with a 1994 Esprit S4 down here in Melbourne, Australia. Really random on my car for a few years now. Makes it so I just dont drive it at night which is sort of stupid really.

Both headlights come up every time. Hardly ever will both go down, generally the left one stays up, but not always, sometimes both. Left is better as it's less work to get it down manually. I've pulled my gearboxes, perfect. Main big black box on the front of the car where the hood hinges also seems fine. Going tostart looking at that pod delay relay now thanks to these great posts.

• 8 months later...

Thanks Erik. You may be correct. The rubbers are there but look squashed. One light is higher than the other which suggests it's over-centered. Flat battery being charged at the moment. I'll report back later.

DanR

It's not the rubbers I'm thinking. Weird, after charging the battery both lights worked properly but once only. Then nothing. Not much time to do more than that at the moment, or until after Xmas.

DanR

if you figure something out please ley us know.  I have been looking at it on and off for several years.

One thing I noticed recently, I squeezed the delay module onto the mount, when I did so my fingers were underneath toucing some of the wres that go into the bottom of the plug.  When I did the squeeze and disturned the wires it worked!  the head lights went down!.  Next thing I am going to take a close look at those wres.  Maybe one of the crimped connectors has backed out of the plug holder or one of the wires is damaged.

• 7 months later...

Followed Swindon Alans instructions on this thread Yesterday and fixed the intermittent pod flash problems I had by adding the type B relay workaround. I actually prefer the 'hold back and wiggle' rather than delay.

Also added some new rubber tops to the end stops which has eliminated the 'clunk' on headlight raise.

I have to say the pod raise on my M100s is far superior, smooth as silk in comparison. 

• Like 1