Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 242 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Ski poles. Are they a specific pole in the film?

Maybe Bond just picked Up a couple when he got there-they aren’t hugely important to skiers after all. One gets shot in pieces when bonds reaching for his pistol.

also, at 120mph, will the skis transfer wind loading to the racks and to the boot lid? 

11 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

Ski poles. Are they a specific pole in the film?

Maybe Bond just picked Up a couple when he got there-they aren’t hugely important to skiers after all. One gets shot in pieces when bonds reaching for his pistol.

also, at 120mph, will the skis transfer wind loading to the racks and to the boot lid? 

Good questions, I don’t know the answers.

With regard to the skis what ever speed they start to cause issues at minus 10 mph will be the cars limit speed with the skis on. I plan to test this on a track and film the tests.

When you have finished it your wife won't let you drive it by yourself otherwise you'll have Pussy Galore in the passenger seat! Great job Fab, can't wait to visit the UK again and see it for real.

• Haha 1

Fabian, you've done an amazing job and I know you are fastidious down to the last detail......and I don't want to sound like an arse but.........you do know your number plate is the modern font and not the old one! :sofa: The modern font is narrower.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 21gg said:

Fabian, you've done an amazing job and I know you are fastidious down to the last detail......and I don't want to sound like an arse but.........you do know your number plate is the modern font and not the old one! :sofa: The modern font is narrower.

Don't you mean the older font was narrower?

Reiterating previous comments, I'd snap down your bindings, regardless of "continuity", just in case those brakes scratch the louvres. Since skis are designed to flex in the vertical plane.

• Like 1

On the old  font (pre 2001) the thickness of the font is narrower but the letter width was wider. I only know as when the revised the font my already small number plate shrank even more! So a bad explanation by me, but you can see the difference in Fabians pictures above. :getmecoat:

• Like 1

@21gg - hadn't noticed that before, but I'd have to agree with you - although the 8 on the Bond car looks almost hand drawn.

• Like 1

I think my plates (1980s original) are the UK Old 1935 font from this site https://www.platesforcars.co.uk/designer.php?type=standardacrylic#numberplates

y4mcEnuLoyLNl-IC9pZreDP82Pe_DJBJxi33RGYI

check the 5 to the other options

3 hours ago, 21gg said:

On the old  font (pre 2001) the thickness of the font is narrower but the letter width was wider. I only know as when the revised the font my already small number plate shrank even more! So a bad explanation by me, but you can see the difference in Fabians pictures above. :getmecoat:

Thanks for pointing that out. I realised at the time and then forgot about it.  I will sort it  at some point! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

I think my plates (1980s original) are the UK Old 1935 font from this site https://www.platesforcars.co.uk/designer.php?type=standardacrylic#numberplates

y4mcEnuLoyLNl-IC9pZreDP82Pe_DJBJxi33RGYI

check the 5 to the other options

Think u could be correct it looks like the 1935 font?

Yes, I'd have to agree with you @ChrisJ the '8' is the giveaway.

I work with fonts as part of my business, and we did the FYEO alarm sticker graphics for @Lotusfab as many aren't quite right. I released that these would have been hand made by the production arts department, so these were recreated in Adobe Illustrator in the same way as the outfit who produced Fabian's new tyre stickers.

Number plates are an area of their own. Some plates of old seem to use an almost random set of characters and spacing. Yet others of those times do follow more expected formats and fonts. Since 2001 or thereabouts the font and size has been standardised. Probably in part to comply with EU standards.

I think it will be difficult to replicate Jimmy Bond's Turbo plates as the font seems a bit odd. The '8' is the giveaway. Obviously they can be replicated, but possibly not from the usual sources that produce registration plates. It may be necessary to make a custom set, replicating them in a similar way as described above. However this process will not be compliant with current standards of current and period plates.

I know that the film cars were prepared by Lotus Cars, and registered by them, so I'd assume the plates came with the cars, and not adapted in many ways by film production company (Eon in this case), which is usually the way.

Without looking at the full character set, I doubt you'll be able to just expect the 1935 font to fulfill the requirement exactly.

I'd be looking at the 'Old 1900' style. At least as a starting point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

And what about that boot catch that's not returning to horizontal?   🤪

It takes ages to iron out little mistakes, or making minor adjustments, on a big restoration. They seem never ending.

Get that rear suspension sorted though @Lotusfab it looks like something from American Graffiti rather than a Bond film! 😂

The car is on a jack in the picture as I am working on the other wheel! 
Only cost effective way to match the numberplate Is to use a 1935 font and accept the 8 is out. Bonnet catch isnt rotated in the pic, but good spot!

@ChrisJ as I stated above that won't solve the Bond TE issue as this font is still not the same. Look at the 1900 version.

@v8vantage if the font cannot be found, then no plate maker will be able to assist, unless @Lotusfab does as I suggested and get a 'friendly' plate maker to use a facsimile of the Bond car plate created in the same way as we did the burglar alarm graphic and the tyre sticker outfit did the Goodyear lettering.

That's what the fuss is about.