Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's Sunday - time for confession Father - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

It's Sunday - time for confession Father

• Gold FFM

Snuck out to the garage to stick her back together.

ecu now back in its rightful place.

Couldn't believe the ram air mod hadn't been done - has been now !!

I found the pc and Aldl lead and got onto scanning.

well error 22 is sat there. Tps too low - well there you go - sat at 0.00v. Bottom screw head shagged - top one ok. Give it a tweak 0.53v nip her up. Press throttle peddle - 83% maximum. So need a new one of them then !!! So it goes faster with the missing 17% ?? :animier:

reset the error code and start up. Yep idling much nicer and smoother indeed.

im going to buy a new tps and iac valve tomorrow.

vacuum leak fixed earlier - now abs light isn't on ?? Does the vac pipe assist the abs unit ??

found this hiding attached to the Aldl wiring

IMG_1012.PNGIMG_1013.PNG

maybe it's Tracker ?? Cut that out tomorrow 

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's a Motorola mobile phone part Barry:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/mgf-mgtf-sponsored-mgfntfbitz-12/what-these-electronic-boxes-655753/

So bin it and the wiring. You probably have corresponding hands free mic and speaker connections as well.

So pleased about the S4s chip - I was right then! Is that all the difference there is between the S4 and S4s boost?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

I have no idea at all. It seems far more lively than the red one. More than 265 for sure. So s4s code would make sense. 

That ecu was a factory sealed unit - so it's been in there from new i reckon

Box will be skipped tomorrow

Only here once

On 16/01/2017 at 18:22, ian29gte said:

If you think you the engine is an S4s, have a look at the cylinder head. It may have the S300 designation stamped into it just above the coolant hose connection at the back end of the cylinder head, as they're the same as the S300. See page 4 of my refurb thread for a piccy.

Check out Ian's suggestion when you have a minute Barry.

• Like 1

S4s has a different head and larger inlet valves with some miner porting.....also has a different turbo......different flywheel and clutch plate and housing.

S4 engine is basically the same as the SE engine.......but yours has the S4s chip.

Have a look at the head as Ian suggested and also the number stamped on the Garrett plate on the turbo.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

vacuum leak fixed earlier - now abs light isn't on ?? Does the vac pipe assist the abs unit ??

No, the DMIII system is an entirely seperate system. But the ABS/Brake Warning truly live their own lives at times. Check what pressures your system is running if you have the necessary tools! 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Just to add regarding boost: the dash gauge takes its reading from the intake plenum, before the throttle bodies. It is more prone to spikes when the turbo spools up. The ECU MAP-sensor uses the actual pressure in the intake manifold, so can differ a bit. I never did understand why Lotus decided to use 2 different pick-up points and have though about replumbing the lines so the dash gauge also measures manifold pressure instead of plenum pressure; Not that it would matter. :-) My boost gauge doesn't have a scale anyway. Readings I took via Espritmon were spot-on for an SE, so I now know where the needle is supposed to sit.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

What's the VE tables ? @sailorbob I'm unaware of what this is........

I have no record of that ecu being changed - and if it was it had been sealed in place physically and sealed with a metal lotus seal - I'm bamboozled 

Only here once

My memory might be a bit cloudy, but I think the S4s T3/60 turbo may have a 0004 suffix to the part number, or looking at my notes it could be 461533-4 part number. It has a 60 trim wheel fitted on the compressor side, which I remember from my battles with Fawlty Turbos.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

IMG_1019.PNG

1496 ???? What on earth is that @sailorbob

still cant reach the fan flap thingy - need the demist to work - can see a valve thing that was stuck - but wasn't that. There is a clusterfuck of cables slammed in there for a Nokia handsfree kit - so need to pull the radio

Only here once

http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/products/chips/4cyl.htm

So PUK #6 Red Race then Bob?

"For example, chip #6 will give around 330-350HP on a 100% healthy stock engine."

- Special code based on the improved S4s-Mk5 code (#2)
- Max. boost up to 1.25 bar
- Raised redline

• Gold FFM

Well if that's the case @swindon_alan - then that would explain why I considered it too quick for what it should be. And that's with a knackered tps which only goes to 83%.......

doesnt explain the lotus metal seal on the ecu headers - or the sealed antitamper holographic labels which I broke though ...

Only here once

I reckon that's an S4 engine and turbo, with a standard 1496 S4s EPROM, but not a PUK chip, otherwise you would be seeing more boost on the gauge. Unless the gauge is borked, of course. Despite the seals, it still looks to me like someone has been into that ECU, though.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.