Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora S1 ambient lighting - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S1 ambient lighting

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I actually only carried out the first stage of the wiring so when I switch my headlights on the interior light comes on if in the on position. However I allways have mine swichted to off anyhow as on entry the footwell lights light the way so it doesn't bug me. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

I'm afraid I still haven't tried it. I was really busy when @agentdr8 wrote his guide, then when I finally got around to looking into it, I found I didn't really quite understand it :(

I can try and make it easier to understand and provide an up to date parts list if that'll help. It really is only a few wiring connections in the passenger fuse panel area, if you only want to do the first change. For the second part, it requires running a new wire to the passenger B-pillar from the fuse panel area. 

1 minute ago, sellman said:

I actually only carried out the first stage of the wiring so when I switch my headlights on the interior light comes on if in the on position. However I allways have mine swichted to off anyhow as on entry the footwell lights light the way so it doesn't bug me. 

Nicely done. If you have any words of encouragement or any install notes that could help @Brendonian (and others) that would be great. 

If there's interest, I can try and source the ICM connectors and build a pass-through harness for plug-n-play. It would make completing the first part super easy, with the 2nd part being just that wire run and pin removal. 

• Like 2

This sounds great. When I get chance I'll take a picture of the relay I worked with. I also used a piggy back fuse holder for the switched live, it worked a treat.

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are amazing! I think my biggest problem was simply not knowing what kind of relays to use. And I'm not sure how I'd go about mounting them safely. Can't just leave them dangling around on the end of the wires! A plug-n-play solution would certainly help to get me motivated!

To be honest mine isn't factory finish lol. I have zip tied the relay next to an original factory fit switch/ relay nearby so it isn't to pretty but works fine and is easily reversible if I ever come to sell the car. If it were to be a permanent fixture I would complete the full integration and make a lot tidier job of hiding the wires and mounting the relay. 

• Like 1

Has anyone tried to introduce ambient lighting into engine area?

i have looked at that area and for me it’s such a lovely piece of design which sits in the darken area and at night time completely hidden ? 

I wonder given the heat in this area would any sort of light units react badly ?

any thoughts ? 

7 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Yes that’s so cool and shows off the rear section 

how was that done ?

The lights I used in the photo above are Giella LEDS which are described as  “Intense heat and fire resistant”. The selling demo actually shows a torch placed directly onto a lit strip with no ill effects except carbon deposit and the lights were still shining brightly afterwards. So, I had no concerns of them withstanding the heat of the engine bay. (More info on Giella LEDS: https://www.distantxtremes.com/giella-led-strips.html )

Also, for the above photo, one strip was mounted onto an aluminum channel with wire ties and then velcroed onto the forward engine cover mounting bar and another strip was mounted with wire ties to an aluminum channel and then on the rear aluminum boot heat shield using push on clips. Both are areas that have several inches of gap from touching the actual engine. Although they are no longer mounted, they were in place for several weeks with absolutely no sign of radiant heat or fire damage. (They were on long enough to take some photos.)

For the ability to turn it on and off, you could tap into the rear boot 12V power port and use a cheap 12V remote control.
I used a cheap one like this from ebay  (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-DC-ON-OFF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Switch-12VDC-Output-Relay-Switch-/182401351988 ). Don't forget an inline fuse.

Obviously the question 

the colour is red I assume that’s to conform to rear colour for legal requirements ? Or is this really a show item ? 

CO Any chance of pictures of the wiring and arrangements in engine bay of the layout ?

thanks 

I used red for two reasons. Red goes well with my orange car and, yes, it would meet rear lighting requirements.

I don't have any photos handy specifically showing the wiring layout in the car.  But here's a few I had taken that show the LEDs mounted to the aluminum strips and photos of them mounted to the engine cover bar and rear heat shielding (the one for the rear heat shielding, I epoxied "u nuts" to the aluminum  so I could just clip the light onto the heat shielding).

engine lights.JPG

attached to bar.JPG

engine light 3.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 17/05/2018 at 09:44, Brendonian said:

Wow, you guys are amazing! I think my biggest problem was simply not knowing what kind of relays to use. And I'm not sure how I'd go about mounting them safely. Can't just leave them dangling around on the end of the wires! A plug-n-play solution would certainly help to get me motivated!

Thanks to a post by @2011 Chrome Orange over on LT, I was able to track down the necessary connectors I would need to make a plug-n-play kit. I've got a set on order and will test and let you know how it turns out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

Thanks to a post by @2011 Chrome Orange over on LT, I was able to track down the necessary connectors I would need to make a plug-n-play kit. I've got a set on order and will test and let you know how it turns out. 

Great! I can't wait to hear about your progress.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2018 at 02:06, Brendonian said:

Great! I can't wait to hear about your progress.

Here's the prototype. Really just a simple pass-through, with a few extra leads on the pertinent pins. I wasn't sure if you were thinking of something more complete, like with relays or relay module wired in, etc. I could do that as well, so the only thing that would have to be done aside from plugging stuff in would be to run a wire to the B pillar for the dome light. 

MVIMG_20180819_230720_sm.jpg

MVIMG_20180819_230732_sm.jpg

MVIMG_20180819_230753_sm.jpg

• Thanks 1

That's awesome. As I said previously, I was completely lost trying to work out how to wire in the relay, but I'm sure I could cope with some clear instructions. But if you could provide the full kit, that would obviously be better 👍

11 hours ago, Brendonian said:

That's awesome. As I said previously, I was completely lost trying to work out how to wire in the relay, but I'm sure I could cope with some clear instructions. But if you could provide the full kit, that would obviously be better 👍

No problem. I'll update after I receive a few more pieces. 

• Thanks 1