Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 39 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

https://www.ft.com/content/25e67e38-b6b5-11e8-bbc3-ccd7de085ffe

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/lotus-appoints-former-jaguar-land-rover-boss-new-manager

A return to motorsport would beconsidered... Really it is still a conditional at this point? Other then Hypercar markers Pagani and Koenigsegg which sportscar maker doesn't have at this point a work or semi works sport programs? 

The way I read the FT piece Popham will be running the day to day while Qingfeng will handle Engineering...  The upper management of Lotus is now quite beefy.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 2

Is it only my lack of careful reading of the recent Geely/Lotus/Appointments announcements that leaves the word "luxury" lingering prominently and uncomfortably?  "Sporting", "High Performance", "Driver Focused": such words would have attracted my interest if no more - but if "luxury" is to be the destination ................. wonder if Alpine say "luxury"?

From Google:
luxury   ˈlʌkʃ(ə)ri
noun: luxury
  1. 1.
    a state of great comfort or elegance, especially when involving great expense.
    "he lived a life of luxury"
    synonyms: opulence, luxuriousness, sumptuousness, richness, costliness, grandeur, grandness, splendour, magnificence, lavishness, lap of luxury, bed of roses, milk and honey;

I don't doubt it , Tim!   Or as Google gives: "especially when involving great expense".  And therein lies the issue, for me anyway!

I expect the words, McClaren, Ferrari, Lotus (with similar others) to form a group - "those of some academic interest, but not for the likes of me".  Of course there is a market, and some able to play in it, but judging by the last Lotus sales figures, not as many of the previous buyers - even at current prices!  Not much movement in the Pistons Heads adverts for the top of the range either - an indicator?

Luxury comes into play cause we are very likely not to get just one but 2 SUVs and a luxobarge before 2030. So far Geely is implementing exactly the same strategy has what they have performed with Volvo, Considering that these models are very likely to be assembled at Lotus future Coventry factory from modules made in cost effective Geely factories. Lotus could undercut the likes of Porsche while providing same if not superior levels of build quality if again Volvo is any indication to go buy... All the while generating interesting margins. However it all comes down to Lotus stealing market share from the like of Porsche, which is a tall order... However there again Volvo is going to be the template.

Volvo has pretty much done the unthinkable in my opinion. In the past 5 years they have managed to steal market share from Mercedes-Benz, Audi and BMW, and they are well ahead of Jaguar and Maserati-Alfa Romeo  in sales volume... When Geely purchased them they were going nowhere selling barely 100,000 a  year, They are now aiming at over 1M premium cars sold  by 2025. More importantly Volvo has changed their image completely. This is exactly what is needed for Lotus and I think that so far all the moves made by Geely are indicating that they are going to do nothing but that.

• Like 1

Lotus SUV cockpit patent sketches:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1213314&stc=

attachment.php?attachmentid=1213316&stc=

attachment.php?attachmentid=1213318&stc=

If the finished product looks anything like it people may say that this interior borrows quite a lot to the intent prototypes from the DB era (Check the gearstick integration and the steering wheel)  Still this looks like a completely bespoke cockpit. It shows a huge instrument binnacle by Lotus standards which indicate that the SUV will get the Volvo display, but the Sensus UI would go panoramic and not portrait and could just float on top of the centre console, an effort has been made to keep round air vents  and the sacro saint cupholders  are there to put mind at ease.  Very convincing in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

Lotus SUV cockpit patent sketches:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1213314&stc=

attachment.php?attachmentid=1213316&stc=

attachment.php?attachmentid=1213318&stc=

If the finished product looks anything like it people may say that this interior borrows quite a lot to the intent prototypes from the DB era (Check the gearstick integration and the steering wheel)  Still this looks like a completely bespoke cockpit. It shows a huge instrument binnacle by Lotus standards which indicate that the SUV will get the Volvo display, but the Sensus UI would go panoramic and not portrait and could just float on top of the centre console, an effort has been made to keep round air vents  and the sacro saint cupholders  are there to put mind at ease.  Very convincing in my opinion.

Compared to the old Esprit that is a (very) small instrument binnacle! 

Does look like an upgraded Evora interior which is good IMO

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

8 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

Compared to the old Esprit that is a (very) small instrument binnacle! 

Does look like an upgraded Evora interior which is good IMO

I should have said current Lotus binnacle lol.

Yes it is a much upgraded interior, it is interesting in the sense that it gives a few pointers as to what we should expect more largely across the range to come. This interior is made possible by the new electrical architecture provided by Geely and as anticipated Lotus had a free hand when it came to designing something completely bespoke with the compulsory integration TFT display and ICE as sole constraint.  It will have the latest tech like all Volvo/Geely products tend to do, it should have good ergonomics.

The question will some products currently on offer will gain that new cabin tech... My reasonning is that at this point in time Elise and Evora are set to stay in showrooms with Exige  getting replaced and another sport car added to the line up. For the next two years Evora is set to be the only product on offer on some markets (namely North America).

As it has been mentioned elsewhere the 400 production has ceased and the GT430 production limited run has been sold to the dealers which means that technically speaking it is high time for a new and possibly final non limited model to get on the production line.  A completely revised Evora base and/or top model, using the GT components and with a revised/upgraded interior would be a more compelling option on the US market. Could we be getting a new Evora variant with this tech at Geneva next year ?

• Gold FFM

Maybe I am just getting old or don't have a clue, but I think that iPad thingy (not using the words infotainment centre. Bugger! I just did.) in the centre is right up there with those awful LOTUS letters that were on there. It doesn't look like it is part of anything. Johnny just got his silicon gun out and stuck it there.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Well since he stuck that thing on the dash, he deserves the blame. I have no sympathy for him.

Sack him!

I would also suggest with the angle of that screen and the way the windscreen is raked back on most Lotuses, the reflection from it might render it next to useless.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I have NEVER asked for more goodies. I drive an Esprit S4. I am quite happy.

It does not have cup holders either.

The stereo is standard. Never upgraded it as I can't be bothered and I don't think it needs it. If I want to hear everything in a piece of music, I will listen to it at home in a quiet room with headphones.

It was made in 1994 and has only just recently been given an electric chargecooler pump when the mechanical one destroyed its impeller.

If you are going to have a crack at someone over something, make sure you are aiming it at someone who has moaned.

I ain't him. ;)

ps. I also detest the way the screen sticks out of the dash on the Mazda 3. (I think that is the model)

Never said you were mate and am only taking the piss as usual. 😂🤣😂🤣

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

So Lotus listen, stick an ipad (a god awful over priced contraption) in a SUV (which is bad enough in itself) and you still complain.

For me it's not there's an infotainment system in there, it's the blue-tack a tablet to the dash design (for a very lose definition of design) which looks hideous. 

Mazda, Merc, Audi, Tesla, they are all doing it. And if people hadn't wanted it they wouldn't have done it.  No doubt the next generation of Lotus sports cars will have them too. Oh jeez, can't wait.  :cry:

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

47 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Mazda, Merc, Audi, Tesla, they are all doing it

Like I said:

36 minutes ago, 100th_Idiot said:

I meant the stuck on like an afterthought. Tesla at least is flush

mx5.png

tesla.jpg

audi a3.png

The small print.