Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 62 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

On 16/03/2019 at 10:43, Ccd said:

I’m going to make a prediction: no Evora GT Sport will reach US shores; there will be no 2019 MY Lotus in America.  My guess is that Lotus has made the decision that the current Evora cannot sell in the number they need in the US.  And they could very well be right as I’ve read that Lotus sold only 36 cars here in 2018.  Instead, Lotus will begin its reboot in the US with this new car.  I expect the biggest change to be a greatly improved interior and maybe a bump in hp.  My other guess is that the age of “raw” stripped down cars is over for Lotus.  Raw doesn’t sell cars in the numbers that Lotus needs to survive and thrive.

Dealers are taking deposits for the Evora GT right now. Actually Lotus sold 168 units and in 2017 they sold 156 cars. Those are official numbers.

The Honda EV prototype is the first car to market that will use 100% Android ICE. I suspect this will come to dominate in future, and will include some upgrade-ability like our phones. But the next Lotus must surely not use a cheapo aftermarket system. 

31 minutes ago, harrry said:

The Honda EV prototype is the first car to market that will use 100% Android ICE. I suspect this will come to dominate in future, and will include some upgrade-ability like our phones. But the next Lotus must surely not use a cheapo aftermarket system. 

I thought it was the Polestar 2 that was the first with the Android ICE? Either way, same family as Lotus, so could be interesting!

Also, the idea that a double DIN is better than a built-in ICE is laughable when one is actually trying to sell a new car today.  It simply does not fly.  Ask a "normal" customer on the street whether they want BMW iDrive or a an Alpine touch screen DIN, and I can guarantee 99.9% will say the iDrive, and correctly so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Volvo use infotainment systems that incorporate Apple car play and Android Auto, so update when ever your phone updates, so there is no excuse for Lotus to put Inferior outdated double din units in any of there future models. Be realistic these units are a joke at this price point, the Evora 430 came with Apple CarPlay and Dab radio a first for lotus, but it came without a Dab aerial, what a joke. So yes Lotus I am sure will use Volvo or a other unit from group and need to, to attract the new customers that they are looking for. If they could use Mercedes infotainment systems the same way Aston do that would be a massive leap forward and at the same time  use there TFT instrument cluster as it is the best in the world as we speak. Sorry to survive and prosper the have to move out of the analog word.

3 hours ago, Cypriot said:

I thought it was the Polestar 2 that was the first with the Android ICE? Either way, same family as Lotus, so could be interesting!

Also, the idea that a double DIN is better than a built-in ICE is laughable when one is actually trying to sell a new car today.  It simply does not fly.  Ask a "normal" customer on the street whether they want BMW iDrive or a an Alpine touch screen DIN, and I can guarantee 99.9% will say the iDrive, and correctly so.

I've used a BMW idrive with their pro nav in a 2009 car and while the idrive knob makes navigating round the screen better I much prefer the functionality of my Alpine double din unit with Apple Car play. Event the built in sat nav was better than the BMW version.   No idea if newer versions are better?

I think the ability to upgrade and change functionality with over the air software updates is very handy.  But as said earlier its hard to see the manufacturers incorporating this into their integrated systems as then you'd be less likely to change cars every 5 years etc.

4 hours ago, Cypriot said:

Aha, you're right. I guess this means it could end up in the next lotus too!

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Dealers are taking deposits for the Evora GT right now. Actually Lotus sold 168 units and in 2017 they sold 156 cars. Those are official numbers.

And they are telling customers June/July build with deliver 2 months later...

Instagram: @tpupnomad

1980 Lotus Esprit S2

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Some other stuff  🤠

1 hour ago, harrry said:

Aha, you're right. I guess this means it could end up in the next lotus too!

Maybe not this very upcoming VVA based model as this Android Auto is really new and proper integration would require a bit more time I think, but definitely the next ones... Actually it will be interesting to see how much of a loom upgrade this new car will get compared to the Evora. Upgrading to the Volvo Sensus UI may actually be tricky if they keep the form factor, that screen would dominate the interior ; hopefully they get a more sensibly sized touchscreen possibly one of the horizontal displays seen recently on the newest Geely models. 

14 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Volvo use infotainment systems that incorporate Apple car play and Android Auto, so update when ever your phone updates, so there is no excuse for Lotus to put Inferior outdated double din units in any of there future models. Be realistic these units are a joke at this price point, the Evora 430 came with Apple CarPlay and Dab radio a first for lotus, but it came without a Dab aerial, what a joke. So yes Lotus I am sure will use Volvo or a other unit from group and need to, to attract the new customers that they are looking for. If they could use Mercedes infotainment systems the same way Aston do that would be a massive leap forward and at the same time  use there TFT instrument cluster as it is the best in the world as we speak. Sorry to survive and prosper the have to move out of the analog word.

Even your phones will only get Android updates for 3 years. 

On 16/03/2019 at 11:43, Ccd said:

I’m going to make a prediction: no Evora GT Sport will reach US shores; there will be no 2019 MY Lotus in America.  My guess is that Lotus has made the decision that the current Evora cannot sell in the number they need in the US.  And they could very well be right as I’ve read that Lotus sold only 36 cars here in 2018.  Instead, Lotus will begin its reboot in the US with this new car.  I expect the biggest change to be a greatly improved interior and maybe a bump in hp.  My other guess is that the age of “raw” stripped down cars is over for Lotus.  Raw doesn’t sell cars in the numbers that Lotus needs to survive and thrive.

Well one of your predictions will come true, Lotus is not offering a 2019 US model, however the 2020's with some orders already in, should start dribbling in this summer.

12 hours ago, TpupNomad said:

And they are telling customers June/July build with deliver 2 months later...

Well, the new Evora platform 2020 car that is supposted to be the stop gap until the new line up is out in 3-4 years.  My guess, it is a new Evora with a face lift and few more Hp....but more expensive. Funny thing, dealers are taking deposits but they don’t tell you the cost of the car and the cost of options. LOL

Edited by CharlieBrown

On 18/03/2019 at 14:12, NedaSay said:

As much as I love their vision and this rendering, Automotive design students tend to draw the impossible.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Well, the new Evora platform 2020 car that is supposted to be the stop gap until the new line up is out in 3-4 years.  My guess, it is a new Evora with a face lift and few more Hp....but more expensive. Funny thing, dealers are taking deposits but they don’t tell you the cost of the car and the cost of options. LOL

Hey Charlie,

They actually did release a price list, options, and specs.  When I say “release” I mean the dealers have it but customers were told not to disclose them.  It will look like a Euro 430 but will have a few differences in terms of specs.  Rumors are a bit less hp than the Euro 430 due to a 3rd cat (which one could remove...).

Instagram: @tpupnomad

1980 Lotus Esprit S2

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Some other stuff  🤠

7 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Even your phones will only get Android updates for 3 years. 

You need to get a iPhone then😜

• Like 1

Let's just hope Lotus doesn't use Apple's battery tech. 25 different plugs for the charger and a new one every year. Then a battery that lasts for a couple of days - unless you actually use it. when its life can be measured in minutes and a screen whose replacement will void the whole car's warranty if not done by one of the three service centres. 

Mind you, the customers will never complain as they're all believers of the cult, so that's good news at least. :D 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TpupNomad said:

Hey Charlie,

They actually did release a price list, options, and specs.  When I say “release” I mean the dealers have it but customers were told not to disclose them.  It will look like a Euro 430 but will have a few differences in terms of specs.  Rumors are a bit less hp than the Euro 430 due to a 3rd cat (which one could remove...).

Ah, good to know. According to Autocar magazine Lotus stated that it was a new Lotus car based on the Evora platform. So, for just a second I thought something different to consider. I personally won’t wait 4 years for the so called new line up. I will drive the crap out of my 400 and move to a different brand.

After one Elise and two Evoras I wanted a different kind of Lotus, at least a different look.

15 hours ago, TpupNomad said:

Hey Charlie,

Interesting this reflects what my local dealer CEO said, more commercial comfort based cars and even he recons the Toyota powered cars are the ones to keep, so much for the future

8 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Ah, good to know. According to Autocar magazine Lotus stated that it was a new Lotus car based on the Evora platform. So, for just a second I thought something different to consider. I personally won’t wait 4 years for the so called new line up. I will drive the crap out of my 400 and move to a different brand.

After one Elise and two Evoras I wanted a different kind of Lotus, at least a different look.

Popham did not say they were replacing the Evora nor that it was another Evora variant, it was said that the car would use the VVA architecture ( the same architecture used on Evora) people started reading just another Evora, but it doesn't have to be and probably will not be... Originally - under JMG's - this car was to be the Exige replacement, then one car became two, and I among many other believed or dreamt out loud an Exige and an Esprit... Then there was the rumour of the Hypercar... Which was actually also part of JMG's plan as a 3Eleven successor now called project Omega... 

So if we limit ourselves to the fact we know right now, we can only say that the car will use VVA, it could be an Evora mark III, or  a new Exige or even a successor to the Esprit. Popham said it would be an entirerly new car which seems to rule out an Evora mark III... So we are back to Exige or Esprit...

For the rest, a few of the pieces from the media lately appears to be contradictory, some saying the relationship with Toyota remaining strong while other did state that Lotus was poised to switch to Volvo tech as early as the very next model... And then there's the Williams A.E deal which leads to think that the Hypercar will get a Williams propulsion system.

I guess we'll know more in April at the Shanghai autoshow where Geely will formally welcome Lotus into the group, Maybe then they will lift a bit more of the veil of secrecy on the future models. Realistically any model to be on sale in 2020 should be presented now so that Lotus will be able to gauge early response.       

On 19/03/2019 at 08:23, scotty435 said:

You need to get a iPhone then😜

Why, so then we can all benefit from a sh!te policy from a sh!tester company that thinks it was OK to issue software releases to "older" phones and kit and to slow them down over time so customers would be "encouraged" to upgrade to a newer model?  I get the "Apple works" statement, that should really be "Apple works with anything else as long as Apple have been paid squillions to allow it to work" but then, sooner or later, usually members of a cult get to see the light!  hahahahaha!  :blobfire:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Here is what is SO frustrating with Lotus.  I can understand Lotus being quiet on models that are 3-4 years away.  HOWEVER, Lotus needs to let people know why they should care about the brand.  If I wasn’t on this site, I would never know that the Evora GT is coming to the US market.  It’s great to tell dealers your plans, but customers need to know too!  The US Lotus website, last time I checked, only listed the 400 as available in the US.

The new model available in 2020, whatever it is, needs unveiling very soon.  This model will be the first concrete indication of what Lotus plans are for the future and could be cause for real optimism for the brand.  Secrecy about 2019-20 models is counter-productive.