Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 82 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Yes yes yes. If only Danny could have hung on for a few more months .....

Then Lotus would have gone the way of TVR, Triumph, Sunbeam, etc. The cars looked great but his prodigious spending on baubles, helicopters, offices etc was just not sustainable.

• Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Lotus could totally produce an esprit but pinning organic growth on a Esprit class vehicle is a stretch.

Pinning organic group on a slew of cars using the same skate and sharing componentry like never before and starting with the midrange model does make sense.

The range is bond to change especially if the next sport car is a "more capable" Exige class vehicle, I do think that this car will help Lotus produce an supercar class vehicle down the line. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NedaSay said:

Lotus could totally produce an esprit but pinning organic growth on a Esprit class vehicle is a stretch.

Pinning organic group on a slew of cars using the same skate and sharing componentry like never before and starting with the midrange model does make sense.

The range is bond to change especially if the next sport car is a "more capable" Exige class vehicle, I do think that this car will help Lotus produce an supercar class vehicle down the line. 

I agree, and furthermore it would appear to make sense for Lotus to cut their teeth on the many and varied new skills, technologies, engineering, manufacturing aspects etc. from producing the Evija and this mid-range transitional model before their entirely new range arrives. Being honest, the MP4-12C is largely forgotten, now, but it gave the McLaren teams the knowledge, experience and underpinnings they needed to go on to create their current well-regarded range (disregarding the current reliability issues, which Lotus cannot afford to emulate given their widespread - however undeserved - reputation).

Obviously, it's important for this new model to get it right: it's still got to be a 'Lotus' but also be as competent a daily runner as any Cayman or Boxster; the interior, especially, will be prodded, pushed, pulled and highlighted in pretty much every single review. Lotus will not want to see the words: 'But it's still no Porsche' in regards to this aspect of the car.

However, bigger picture and all that  - as noted before, the MP4-12C was largely forgotten given what followed; being honest, I think it will be the same for this interim model for Lotus. It basically just needs to play it safe - look good, be dynamically interesting, be a daily driver without serious compromise, and not have any notable flaws. The Alpine A110 has very recently showed us all that a highly-competent, reasonably priced Cayman competitor is entirely achievable. If the new car is Lotus's more exciting version of the Alpine, then they will likely have enough of a success story on their hands, with that and the Evija, to see them through to the genuinely new models. If Lotus are planning a convertible model, too, the aforementioned two models will keep them in the headlights of the motoring press just about long enough to plug the gap until the completely new stuff arrives - just what an interim model 'should' be doing...

• Like 2

I’m fascinated to see what happens to the existing line up when this new car appears. Will it sit alongside, or will that be the end of all the existing cars?

I’m also not sure that playing it safe will convince anyone to buy a Lotus over a Porsche (other than everyone already here). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan E said:

They just need a way to incorporate pop up headlights and I am sold! Just to bring this intelligent discussion down to my level. 

With the current regulations on bumper and headlights don't hold your breath on that one.

9 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

I’m fascinated to see what happens to the existing line up when this new car appears. Will it sit alongside, or will that be the end of all the existing cars?

I’m also not sure that playing it safe will convince anyone to buy a Lotus over a Porsche (other than everyone already here). 

We should define what is playing it safe here. A well executed car with an original stand out with design cues from Evija seems pretty daring to me.

Also, considering that the capacity of Hethel is still limited and will only be upped - at first - by the number of shifts they can run, I don't see the existing cars being maintained in production any longer than they need to be. If we are guessing correctly the first one to go should be the Exige, which is the best seller of the company.  However the new car could also mean the end of the road for the Elise since it uses the same core chassis. While the Evora will share its chassis with the "interim" next sport car,  therefore Lotus could keep it in production for a while longer, especially with another significant refresh as in F458 to F488... So Lotus could find itself with only two "world cars" plus variants (open top, hopefully) in production, bearing in mind Evija is more of a special which production should not last too long.

By the time the new sport car will start production at Hethel,  the Wuhan factory should be complete and we somewhat know what it means. 

Easy to forget the importance of styling for the success of what comes next. M250 prototype (Steve Crijns designed) was very well received and Lotus had a lot of deposits based on its looks alone. I still don’t really understand what went wrong or why it never made production but I knew over 5 people with deposits down. Seems a bit strange to me that the Evora didn’t create as much excitement given it was fundamentally an evolution of the same idea (bigger V6 powered car based on bonded ally tub). M250 styling really provoked a response in people though, it was quite stunning at the time, even though I prefer the look of the Evora now. For whatever reason it had more visual impact than the Evora did at launch. I always liked the Evora but was more drawn towards the Exige until the GT430 arrived.

On current form however we can expect big things from Russell Carr and on styling alone the next car is set to cause quite a stir.

• Gold FFM

There’s a whole load of folks on here critical of any electric/hybrid lotus options - but here we have another company springing up making only electric. In China there’s a whole load more companies making only EVs. That’s the tiny and almost irrelevant link to Lotus 🤭

Only here once

I'm not one of those who are critical, just clear that I will not be buying an all electric Lotus and will think long and hard before even entertaining a Hybrid one.  It's not what I want from a Lotus.

I also believe that EV's will be the betamax of the car world. The sheer cost of the infrastructure upgrades required will be the killer along with the impracticality of being able to charge them in our city streets. Anyone who currently lives in a UK city with residents permit parking will know how bad it is just to find a car parking space somewhere, imagine the chaos and arguments when EV charging posts are installed and you can never use the one outside your house as someone else got there first?  EV's for those who live in the country, yes, fine, they generally have the space for the charger and the infrastructure upgrade costs are minimal due to the much lower demand and peak load.

If you do the research, Hydrogen fuel cell is now starting to gather some momentum, it's only a matter of time now, especially as new lower energy methods of extracting the Hydrogen are coming on stream.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Not many are being critical about electric Lotus cars, most accept they are inevitable, the key issue is the opportunity that might be missed for a range of well funded petrol sports cars to bridge the gap. If we do get some last hurrah petrol cars everything coming from the new management says the focus will be on interior tech, ease of entry/egress and daily useability. Lotus have survived to date by offering something unique in the marketplace. Exige is perfectly positioned  for someone that wants something more hardcore and exciting than a Cayman but also something more useable than a Caterham. In theory, making a Lotus more like a Cayman will open up a wider market and allow Lotus to ramp up production and benefit from greater economies of scale. In practice you still need a reason to choose a Lotus over a Cayman. At the moment Lotus have several which are not widely known or understood as they are not being communicated. Doing that in an engaging, memorable way is what could and should be happening right now, in my opinion. The new car should at least have exciting styling to differentiate it from the intentionally conservative Cayman. That will certainly help but in any event there is much groundwork that needs to be done before launch. Maybe they’re saving it all for the new year but outside of the rarefied (and for most, irrelevant) Evija we haven’t heard a squeak from the factory in 2019.

• Like 2

On 28/12/2019 at 14:15, The Pits said:

Easy to forget the importance of styling for the success of what comes next. M250 prototype (Steve Crijns designed) was very well received and Lotus had a lot of deposits based on its looks alone. I still don’t really understand what went wrong or why it never made production but I knew over 5 people with deposits down. Seems a bit strange to me that the Evora didn’t create as much excitement given it was fundamentally an evolution of the same idea (bigger V6 powered car based on bonded ally tub). M250 styling really provoked a response in people though, it was quite stunning at the time, even though I prefer the look of the Evora now. For whatever reason it had more visual impact than the Evora did at launch. I always liked the Evora but was more drawn towards the Exige until the GT430 arrived.

On current form however we can expect big things from Russell Carr and on styling alone the next car is set to cause quite a stir.

Not to hijack, but on the M250 and may already be known to you lot, but was watching a rerun of the Salvage Hunters where they get a Morris Traveller from Peter Dudding, the take-a-number guy. Right there in the middle of his massive collection, flashing by, she sat. No idea when it originally aired or if still in collection. Nice to know it's been somewhere at least getting dusted now and again. Wonder if it's a runner or a roller? At 1:11 in this clip:

Carry on...

Going back a few posts. I have said it once (many years ago when I was at Honda) and I have harped on about it ever since. 

Electric is a gimmick. It's not a viable day to day and future proof method of transport. 

1. The mining of required Minerals is toxic and worse for the enviroment than Oil
2. Miining takes place at only a few sites and all are remote and movement requires a lot of Co2 production
3. Currently the technology is not recyclable at the end of it's life and has to be stored securely costing yet more money and using Electricity to ventilate and recycle to toxic fumes as it degenrates.
4. Battery life is only Guaranteed for 8 years. Cost of a new set is currently around £8000. So going into the future none of our cars over 8 years old would still be viable or cost effective. This 8 years is only if you don't constantly Charge boost the batteries which damages them even more. Initial tests have seen constant "Boosting" can reduce the batteries to as little as 5 years life. BTW, boosting (30 minutes to get 80% charge) is the only way to do it if you are travelling).
5. Current reserves of the required minerals show at current use about 120 years of supply. However, should you fast forward and ban all Oil based transport and replace them with electric, the reserves would last approx 24 years at most Thats less than Oil reserves. And don't forget, it's not recyclable.

The ONLY way for me is Hydrogen fuel cells. Pure and simple.

Pic of "locality" of a Lithium mine. They often strip all the salts from salt flats leaving desert and processing uses huge amounts of water in places were there is already shortages.
Image result for toxic mining of lithium for batteries

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

From Uday Senepati on LinkedIn.

Executive Director - Strategy and Product Management at Group Lotus

Reflecting on the year as 2019 draws to a close.

Group Lotus...

- Established a management team and recruited the best talent in the industry

- Put a 10 year ambitious plan in place

- Invested tens of millions on our site in Hethel, UK

- Engaged with Geely global Design and R&D centres for product development

- Revived sales of current product lines

- Put the brand back on the track through PR and marketing activities

- Established several partnerships, the fruits of which will be seen in the near future

- Launched first of many amazing products to come - The Lotus Evija!

Many thanks to the 1400 of US-LOT at Hethel and more globally working towards the success of brand “Lotus”. Looking forward to another year of milestones in the Lotus journey in 2020 and beyond.

0.jpg

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

On 02/01/2020 at 10:19, Kimbers said:

5. Current reserves of the required minerals show at current use about 120 years of supply. However, should you fast forward and ban all Oil based transport and replace them with electric, the reserves would last approx 24 years at most Thats less than Oil reserves. And don't forget, it's not recyclable.

The ONLY way for me is Hydrogen fuel cells. Pure and simple.

Current reserves of a resource only covers what has been confirmed.  Once a decent amount has been discovered, there's no point in looking for more for a bit.  We had this with oil in the past when there was only a couple of decade's worth of oil reserves but, as these got used, the oil companies went out and found more.

Agree about hydrogen being the way forwards, though.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

On 27/12/2019 at 08:58, Bee said:

I agree, and furthermore it would appear to make sense for Lotus to cut their teeth on the many and varied new skills, technologies, engineering, manufacturing aspects etc. from producing the Evija and this mid-range transitional model before their entirely new range arrives. Being honest, the MP4-12C is largely forgotten, now, but it gave the McLaren teams the knowledge, experience and underpinnings they needed to go on to create their current well-regarded range (disregarding the current reliability issues, which Lotus cannot afford to emulate given their widespread - however undeserved - reputation).

Obviously, it's important for this new model to get it right: it's still got to be a 'Lotus' but also be as competent a daily runner as any Cayman or Boxster; the interior, especially, will be prodded, pushed, pulled and highlighted in pretty much every single review. Lotus will not want to see the words: 'But it's still no Porsche' in regards to this aspect of the car.

However, bigger picture and all that  - as noted before, the MP4-12C was largely forgotten given what followed; being honest, I think it will be the same for this interim model for Lotus.H It basically just needs to play it safe - look good, be dynamically interesting, be a daily driver without serious compromise, and not have any notable flaws. The Alpine A110 has very recently showed us all that a highly-competent, reasonably priced Cayman competitor is entirely achievable. If the new car is Lotus's more exciting version of the Alpine, then they will likely have enough of a success story on their hands, with that and the Evija, to see them through to the genuinely new models. If Lotus are planning a convertible model, too, the aforementioned two models will keep them in the headlights of the motoring press just about long enough to plug the gap until the completely new stuff arrives - just what an interim model 'should' be doing...

I'm actually wondering if it is a bad thing. This car according to some here - who are really well connected - may very well be the last of the analog kind from... if it is only a transitional  with a short to medium lifesplan then it will be a collector pretty much like "Every" Lotus purchased in the past 20 years is a bit of a collectible. Just give it 20 years. I live in Canada and over here  10 y/o Elises, for some reasons, are selling above their MSRP as they are so rare.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

1 hour ago, internets said:

If it happens I hope Geely are using their own money and not the banks...

I find it surprising that Mercedes is not stepping in on that one... but Aston strategy has been somewhat baffling of late, developing their own engine while at the same time developing their own EV tech alongside a partner that dropped out and then alongside Williams. Insisting on developing the Rapid-E which is sitting on a twelve year old platform instead of using the new architecture then dropping  the project... 

Their sales are below expectations... But it is mostly R&D that is kiiling them, they have been investing so massively  in recent years and they should have anticipated being caught at the jugular much earlier

Geely is still cashflow positive and their collaterals are more than solid. Still I'd rather have them pass on this opportunity and dedicate themselves 100% to raising Lotus' profile. But they are duplicating VW expansion strategy so it would not be a surprise if they decide to step in, in some capacity. The play made by Stroll make sense he needs the brand for F1.

• Like 1

https://autowise.com/2021-lotus/  

"The boost in revenue was attributed to a stronger presence in the markets, and more sales in emerging markets. At the end of 219, Japan was named as the brand’s biggest market, followed by the brand’s home market of the United Kingdom, and the USA, Germany, Italy, the United Arab Emirates, and China also making large sales contributions."

Sales revenue are up 12% for 2019.

• Like 1