Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco-Moraine ABS Deletion - Page 11 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco-Moraine ABS Deletion

10 hours ago, Erikl said:

I will sell you all of my ABS parts

I am in the midst of installing the system referenced in this thread.  I suspect there are many systems available now.,

Hi Erik, thanks, i'm looking forward.

There are not that many systems available... As I see it there are 2 kinds of people: people with a large garage who keep all their old parts (yes,me 😉 ) and normal people, who throw away broken things :-). Neither of them have a system available... 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the next batch of brake kits -

I’ve made some design alterations to improve the bracketry, and to simplify the installation process. With less parts required, I’ve also been able to reduce the price. I reckon the first kit will be available in perhaps four weeks time. Those who have already expressed an interest, I have you on the list, and will contact you in due course.

Margate Exotics.

On 02/03/2019 at 10:08, Karl lambrechts said:

Hi Erik, thanks, i'm looking forward.

There are not that many systems available... As I see it there are 2 kinds of people: people with a large garage who keep all their old parts (yes,me 😉 ) and normal people, who throw away broken things :-). Neither of them have a system available... 😄

http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/abspump-and-motor-pontiac-abs-gm4600107.html

I found this, it's not cheap but they say it was reconditioned

When I bought the esprit in 2009, my master pump was leaking oil. The car braked quite well, but the pedal was a bit hard. The abs group, (near the headlight) had been bought new by the old owner, so I I bought the latest new delco moraine powermaster III from the Lotus factory.
Now it still works well and I hope it still works for a long time, the pump turns on every three or four brakes for a few seconds, and the ABS works well. I change the oil often and I only use good quality dot4.
I noticed that often many people put too much oil, this spoils the pump and the car does not brake well.
I'm sorry Karl, I kept the old power master complete with tank and abs sensors, but honestly I would like to keep it, I always have the hope of being able to repair it.

2 hours ago, RS blu said:

http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/abspump-and-motor-pontiac-abs-gm4600107.html

I found this, it's not cheap but they say it was reconditioned

Hi RS Blu,

I saw a simular add some time ago, and decided nearly to buy, but did not. Luckely because they are different, the pushrod is different. ( I saw that also in the operation manual I bough last.) But the owners of Pontiac's, Cadillac's .... have the same problems as we, so if I run into a cheap (also broken) one, i'm willing to buy, just to have a closer look.( I presume they are cheaper than the Lotus version...).

It is good to hear that your master is ca 10 years old. I believe, but it is hard to track, that the good working Delco Moraine's are the ones which were replaced... I think non of them reach the age of 20.

My advice: replace the brake fluid as indicated by the manufacterer (3-4 years will do), and especially take care the system is properly bleeded, so no air is in the master. You can do a lot yourself,  simply by depressurizing the system, and to flush the abs recirculation valves. When you depressurize, have a look into the reservoir: the amount of air is an indication how bad it is 🙂 let us know with a picture 🙂

To all who are going for a deletion of the Delco Moraine i'm still interested to buy one!

Edited by Karl lambrechts

I don't remember very well, but when I replaced mine I had to modify the pushrod, the cylindrical part where the pushrod is inserted in the master was longer and largest on the new unit so I had to remove an adapter that was on the pushrod.io I had to use a hacksaw, but I don't remember exactly what I took off.

This is my old unit , you can see the small cylinder

IMG_20190313_214549.jpg.1f7277d45d488a0d777833e946758d3c.jpg

When I depressurize the brake , also in my rear tank the oil turns brown, but it did so even when the master was new.

IMG_20190313_212507.jpg.825d3446b9316e0395f00b407e5ded98.jpg

my new unit with longer cilinder

IMG_20190313_225022.jpg.aa9ae1c07b0ed7da0780fe24afa0a181.jpg A082J6115F.jpg.1f1a73a3b1f3d730ecad0c2d90e39234.jpg

here you can see the longer cylinder, obviously the pushrod must be shorter.
Now I think my new unit was from a pontiac ...

ciao Roberto

Edited by RS blu

• 2 weeks later...

I collected the revised fabrications this morning, those of you who already expressed an interest I will be in touch with details soon.

Anyone else interested in ditching their Delco Moraine rubbish and fitting a brake kit please message me at espritservobrake01@yahoo.com

Margate Exotics.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:)

Was the original system totally out of order?

I am still not decided to swap (partly for potential legal reasons here and partly because I don't have had time to think about it as I am working on the M100 anyway) so might be interested to have parts the day I finally decide to have a serious look at mine ...

At least, please just don't bin the parts!

• Gold FFM

The DM system was functionally good - one of the better ones I've driven - but throwing ABS FAIL regularly and inspiring no confidence.  The owner will be keeping the entire system, should any future owner decide to revert.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

And yet mine cause me no grief at all. 

Ah. I could possibly be a numpty. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Can't wait to get @Sparky to do mine next month. Sounds like my ABS is in a similar state to the one just done i.e. system works but throws ABS light. Most importantly for me is that the brakes feel absolutely appalling and totally fail to inspire any confidence at all.

I will keep all the parts just in case a future owner wants them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ramjet said:

And yet mine cause me no grief at all. 

Ah. I could possibly be a numpty. 

Have you driven one with the conversion....its quite a revelation...

That is very tidy - the owner is in for a treat.

I like how you used a fitting between the old brake lines and the new coming from the Prop valve.  That is difficult work in there and that would make it easier with no compromise in performance.

• Gold FFM

Thanks!  It's quite rewarding when you manage to make pipes nice and tidy.  Follow Ian's instructions to the letter and you're rewarded with something effective, reliable and quite elegant.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.