Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1984 turbo esprit boot space - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1984 turbo esprit boot space

Hi

can anyone let me know what I should find in the boot of my 1984 turbo esprit. I have carpet on the floor and against the engine bulkhead but nothing to protect the wires to the rear lights or the battery. I thought it would be the same plastic light covers as on the S2 but its not (if anyone wants a pair of nicely repainted light covers let me know!). Is it covered wooden boards or does the boot bag cover everything up?

thanks

Christian

6 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Have a look in the parts manual, that will tell you for sure.

doh I always forget that one! 

Just got to find a rear transom now!

thanks

Christian

Cristian

I think I am right in saying an '84 car would not have a boot bag.  If your car has carpet then a boot bag was not standard.  As you stand at the back of the car down on the right hand side you should have carpet stuck to hardboard which is held not very well in the vertical position which hides the battery area and other cables.  On the left carpet covers N/S rear wheel arch.  I believe SJ's sell boot bags if you wanted one although I suspect you may not have the correct press studs to fix it with as your car has carpet.  

Carpets from our 84 turbo not all original but the right shape. Steve has just done a fab job making us some new ones.

Bottom pic is an 86 turbo but original carpets, and very similar.

See @steve v8 carpet thread for more.

IMAG1499(1).jpg

IMG_20170902_220755.jpg

• Gold FFM

If there are any pieces you need, we would happily make them up for you from the templates we have. The rear light panel is is the one in the middle with bound slots to fit around the internal braces.

DSC_0212.thumb.JPG.f9b7112562a82978e4658940e29b0a8d.JPG

The finished product.

DSC_0214.thumb.JPG.78e7f60a438764fd2cff7198cbd439a4.JPG

DSC_0215.thumb.JPG.3062e3697ec9dc1305c36ba661ba0870.JPG

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback guys, really helpful. 

Steve if you guys could make me up a rear panel and sides I would be happy to reimburse you. I will take a couple of pictures after dinner to show how my boot looks currently.

cheers

Christian

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C43 said:

thanks for the feedback guys, really helpful. 

Steve if you guys could make me up a rear panel and sides I would be happy to reimburse you. I will take a couple of pictures after dinner to show how my boot looks currently.

cheers

Christian

No problem Christian, post up some piccys of the pieces you need, we stock the boot lining in black or anthracite (dark grey) and normally use a matching cotton herringbone binding, but you can have the binding in any colour you like, I'll PM you with a price.

Steve

• Gold FFM

Those aren't original carpets in there, except one tiny bit of ribbed boot lining which remains on the inside edge of the passenger side rear arch. Who knows why just one peice was not replaced.!! 

You appear to be missing the carpeted hardboard battery cover, inner wings and light panel. 

We can make you the bits you need and send you enough carpet for a battery cover but you'll need to make a the hardboard part which I think is attached with press studs. 

Alternatively we can just make you a new full set.

Steve

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Buddsy said:

How it this piece of carpet meant to be held at the top? Mine just flaps down. Should there be studs or glue?

Think its just glue - thats why they hang down, as would need re-gluing after changing bulbs .   Yes ally bit locates battery cover

• Thanks 1

Bottom of the battery cover has 2 press studs.   That will be the ones on the edge of the boot floor.  Main carpet is also secured to boot floor with a couple of press studs

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Thanks 1

Still not got far enough along with the car to fit our new carpets. Similar studs on our 84. @buddsy happy if you want to pop round to see the carpets. We have the originals and the new ones from steve.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

No problem @Buddsy I made templates of Nicola's boot carpets when we did them. It may be worth accepting her invitation and having a look to make sure your boot spaces are the same, and take a peice of card and a pen with you to make a template of the battery cover, which I believe is made of 3.6mm hardboard and slots up under the bodywork against those ally lugs and poppers in place at the bottom. If you want easier access to the lights velcro could be used at the ends of the rear panel instead of contact adhesive.

I would prefer to have your original carpets for exact replicas, as @NR2k 's were not the originals, so the templates we currently have may not be perfect.

Steve

• Gold FFM

Your wish is my command @Buddsy, you can chose as many or as few pieces as you wish, 

The full boot set (without glass surround and rear quarterlight panel covers) is £130, the standard colour is anthracite, we also stock black and can do bound edges in which ever colour you like. Or you may recognise the bits you need from the template photo.

DSC_0212.thumb.JPG.e56df69141d2bbf4ccc27d9ba357cf48.JPG

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Steve

I have a 1981 Turbo with a rather tired boot bag which I really don’t like. Is it possible that you offer a boot Carpet replacement kit as close to original style as possible?

I currently have no luggage area carpet except for the small parts over the fuel tanks

Tbanks

simon