Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tailgate struts - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tailgate struts

On 21/05/2021 at 19:32, trcm said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353314418922

Just search for "Tailgate Gas Strut Set for Suzuki Alto 2009"

I bought a pair of these but they seem to be too short, by about 20mm.  So the boot doesn't open as high....

Seems what is needed is some that are 425mm long when fully extended.   Has anyone come across any others that might fit the bill ? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 03/02/2020 at 15:22, rabidh said:

Just to add that having compared side by side the Suzuki struts do appear to be about 1cm shorter when extended, which does mean the boot sits an inch or two lower than before - but it's still a good fix for me at least as it'd never stay open at all before :)

Yup.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Mk2 clio listed at 410mm long. Are they a little short or same as oe?

I did see astra H listed at 425.. also mega cheep.

Coincidentally I think the s1 window switches are astra H rear switches.

On 23/08/2023 at 00:22, grog said:

Mk2 clio listed at 410mm long. Are they a little short or same as oe?

I did see astra H listed at 425.. also mega cheep.

Coincidentally I think the s1 window switches are astra H rear switches.

The struts I removed are Stabilus lift-o-mat (not sure if they're OEM) and are 406mm.

The clio struts measure 410mm.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I just renewed my struts, hopefully this info is helpful to others, 
the OE struts are Stabilus 016912 which are 406mm long, stroke 156mm, force 250N.

I replaced with Stabilus 0818mm which are 412mm long, stroke 152mm, force 340N.

these work really well, look just like the originals, the boot open imperceptibly higher, but doesn't droop.
hopefully the slightly higher force will mean they last longer before the boot starts to droop.

autodoc are cheaper if you are ordering other parts (shipping is charged extra) 

I ordered from here, https://www.strutsdepot.com/product/stabilus-renault-clio-tailgate-struts-0818mm/
it was £26 the pair inc delivery. Vs the lotus specific ones at £101+postage
as both are Stabilus the quality should be the same.

thats interesting, the part from Lotus is cheaper than the same Stabilus part from the usual aftermarket suppliers! 
C132B0058F at £25.38 each. (£30.46 inc VAT)

it's often assumed Lotus directly will be more expensive, but clearly not always the case!

7 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Lotus Silverstone did mine a couple of months ago when it was in for a service. £25.38 each + £19.00 total for fitting. All +VAT, so that’s £83.71 in total.

That’s pretty good value.  Main dealers get knocked quite a bit but £19 to change both sides is very fair. I’ve done it myself and it’s easy enough but fiddly and for that money it’s a good option.

It's a 5 mins job each side, if that.

* support tailgait with a piece of wood.

* pull out circlips a fraction at top and bottom on LHS strut

*pull inwards to remove LHS strut

* insert new strut, with circlips partially pulled out, and push on to balljoints

* push in circlips

That's the LHS done. Now repeat as above for the RHS

PS it's taken me longer to type this reply than doing 1 side 

Edited by Rambo
Sp.

I didn't have a bit of wood the right length, so used my head (literally)... 
the few mm difference in length between old and new were barely noticeable fitting, even half way through with new 'longer' one on the left and old 'shorter' one on the right.

thinking about it, part of the price difference might be due to the lotus part number comes with the ball headed bolts that are screwed to the brackets, at least the pictures show them as with the struts.

Central lotus fitted my for free but it was in for service anyway I bought the struts of eBay left them in boot and Adam changed them . It saved him having the lid hitting his head a few times so I guess there was motivation ? 😀

I’d recommend that anyone attempting work in or around the engine bay lays an old bedsheet or such like over the bay.  The 5 minute job can become a fair bit longer if you drop a nut, bolt, circlip or a tool - it’s easily done - especially with cold fingers.

• Like 1

That's what I do. I just forgot to mention it 🤔

Also worth having one of those retracting magnetic tools with a light on the end, particularly if a nut, bolt, washer, circlip get dropped and fall off the sheet

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted the Clio struts. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125173952701?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dImh1dO5TK-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=MR4wgOISRf2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Perfect fit and nice and strong uplift, took 5 minutes to fit 

Edited by sellman
  • Like 2