Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 39 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

• Gold FFM
48 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

Better than Syntrans?

Syntrans isn’t suitable for the lsd. This stuff has been proven by a certain member on here.

an awful lot has changed in oil technology over the last 30 years. This stuff is apparently the best available 

• Like 1

Only here once

@Barrykearley

Apparently a GL4/GL5 oil is basically a GL5 oil.

If I understand it well the MT-1 rating ensure the oil is even less corrosive than the worst accepted corrosion for a GL4 oil, so that would be OK from the corrosion point of view.

But on the other hand, I have just read that because the GL5 has more High Pressure additives than a GL4, the protective layer which forms on the surfaces of the gearbox internal are stronger than copper based material, so when the protective layer wears over the synchro rings, it actually rips a bit of the copper based material (but it's OK for steel though.)

An interesting explanation (in French) about the copper corrosion subject, where the guys tells it is fine to use GL5 and MT1 oils
https://www.landroverfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=3145

An interesting explanation (in English) where the author states it's OK regarding copper corrosion indeed, but not regarding synchro wear because the protective layer rips a thin layer of copper every time it is destroyed ...
https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I am not knowledgeable on that subject so this may be a nonsense. But I am just sharing what I just read since I had to flush the Elan gearbox last weekend ... after reading the first one so I too poured GL5 MT1 in it ... I am seriously considering flushing it again after I found and read the second explanation ...

6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Syntrans isn’t suitable for the lsd. This stuff has been proven by a certain member on here.

an awful lot has changed in oil technology over the last 30 years. This stuff is apparently the best available 

Yes thats a problem, a LSD in a transaxle, because the requirements of the oil are mutually exclusive, the LSD needs a friction modifier but the syncros dont like that.

So the oil needs to have a small amount of friction modifier. Too much and the syncros are slow, too little and you get diff chatter on tight bends.

• Gold FFM

Give it another couple of years and i will probably be replacing the synchros again anyway at this rate. Really need an off the shelf gearbox conversion to eliminate the un1 frankly

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I agree - that would be nice. 

Anyway - my box is ready so need to try and sneak some time to collect it - bloody works getting in the way

• Sad 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I'll be interested to see what difference you notice with the LSD. It's something I am considering doing to mine in the fullness of time. I've fitted LSDs to one of my other cars and that made a noticeable difference, but it is FWD, so I'll be interested know how noticeable to difference is on the Esprit.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

No, they were never fitted as an option. This was done by a previous owner at the same time as he upgraded the gearbox to a Quaife through GTO (exclusive outlet).

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/renault-un1-lotus-esprit-v8-helical-upgrade-kit

image.png.9e6ec682c00c2676332b81fe34f5beb3.png

• Thanks 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

On 08/01/2019 at 20:44, eeyoreish said:

Better than Syntrans?

@Barrykearley has to go for Miller with his LSD as he canes his cars to the limit. Of course, that is easy to do with a four pot. I stay with Syntrans even with an LSD as it is so much, much harder to push it all the way being a V8...

• Haha 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

@Barrykearley has to go for Miller with his LSD as he canes his cars to the limit. Of course, that is easy to do with a four pot. I stay with Syntrans even with an LSD as it is so much, much harder to push it all the way being a V8...

Never had mine over 55mph and never take it over 3000rpm

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Gold FFM

413D3009-EA2C-4BA0-A66B-D5F612A689DD.thumb.jpeg.54b99a97e0b5414ea8e2326564f8b23e.jpeg

I can confirm after much effort that a fluffy sized dog and a Danny do not fit safely or even comfortably in an S4s 😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once