Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ABS - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Top bloke Alan-hopefully that will save me 25% of my time this weekend.

My first call will be the V8Scan (which I hope has an ABS interrogation feature), then front left (as it seems to be exposed to the elements more than the rear), then rears.

Cheers!

Stuart - as far as I can see, Peter's V8 OBD software doesn't read the ABS. The only reference I have found anywhere is the Lotus Techcentre software, which appears to be capable (extract from page 44):

image.png.0ddaaf385e5df9bf2c436da37589e815.png

Unfortunately it looks like dealer only or you have to purchase a licence? I'm not sure if any of the cleverer OBD readers can access the ABS data, e.g. Gendan.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Good tip. Thanks. 

First thing I'm going to connect a 3m ish lead to my V8scan so I can use the only OBD socket I have in the boot to connect to my laptop on my passenger seat and when driving see if the WheelCount section of the v8scan is populated while driving. 

If that doesn't work, I'll take readings from the pairs of wires under the bonnet which correspond to each sensor. Hopefully that will give me an AC reading off of the sensors. Knowing that my speedo works means I can get a baseline reading from the front right sensor to compare the others to.

These things should point me to a corner!! 

My next question is....can anyone please tell me which colored pairs of wires correspond to each sensor? Otherwise I'll go hunting on the net for a wiring diagram!

Thanks 

stu

Ok. No luck with the OBD readers I have and no time to try Vauxhall today. 

Couldnt get any signal from spinning the front rightwheel using my digital multimeter so

Took front left wheel off. Cleaned up sensor ring but couldn't be see anything out of ordinary. 

Didn't help. Still have ABS lights on. 

Ran out of time to take rear wheels off. Maybe during the week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alan, Ian, Sparky-many thanks! 

This now seems to be fixed. V8 sequence is ignition on, ABS light lights up, 5 seconds, ABS light goes off if all sensors giving a reading. Start engine and drive. If there is a problem with the ring or distance from the ring to sensor, the ABS light will come on while driving.

FYI, you can access the connectors to the ABS sensors under the bonnet, under the ABS unit itself. The pairs per sensor are :

Top two, side two, bottom two and the last ones are obvious if you've checked the rest-trust me, this will make sense if you look at the connector and open it. Don't force the connector, there is a push in catch to push in.

Anyway, check each pair for resistance. Should be about 1100-1500 Ohms.

If it is infinity (like mine was)-that sensor is buggered.

If it starts high and keeps coming down, or vice versa, it is probably buggered.

If the speedo works, the front right hand side (viewed from the rear) is working.

Soak the sensors in WD40 for a couple of days before removal. Clean the top of the fitting bolt, use a proper fitting six sided socket (11mm I think) and undo slowly. It felt like mine could snap but it didn't. Copper ease on the threads before refitting. Copper ease on the top of the bolt to prevent further rusting. WD40 all the bolts/nuts while you are sat staring at them-who knows when you may need to undo one in the future and this may protect them. Copper ease on them to prevent rust in the future too.

I jammed a screwdriver under the "ear" of the ABS sensor to give it some constant upward force while it sat there, then used a pair of mole grips to slowly twist one way and back while levering up, and my sensor came out easy enough. Clean the hole with a bit of emery paper and wipe clean, then copperslip the hole in case you need to remove the sensor again.

I never did find any OBD information that would be useful, and although V8Scan has a "wheel rotation counter" this never populated so did not help. Shame as it would have been the ideal way of doing it-although checking resistance was simple enough.

SJ Sportscars have the replacement sensors-about £40, plus delivery, plus VAT=about £58.

• 10 months later...

My ABS light came on again at the weekend, so I took a look at my procedure outlined above and fixed it. Duff front RHS sensor this time.

Getting it out was interesting. The sensor was jammed in and snapped as I tried to remove it.

There is just enough space to remove the brake pads, reposition the brake disc without removing the caliper, and simply drift the broken bits of sensor out.

Put it all back together and the ABS light stays off. Nice.

• 7 months later...
  • Gold FFM

As preferred fitting agent, I concur.  And I'm not biased at all.  Honest.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I believe they're the same unit.  Surely a case of getting in and calibrating, but no doubt there be dragons...

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

@Sparky, not sure which year your GT3 is, whether KH415 or KH430 but if you can see the ident label when you have a minute could you kindly take a pic and post it so I can start to build up a database for the two car types and two KH models? If anyone else with KH ABS is reading this then I would really appreciate it if you could contribute as well. Ta.

image.png.726272f7680182db8a16d6c71765cf56.png  

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• 1 year later...