Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 96 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, AndyH said:

I was about to agree with you. The spec I was searching for on my first Evora; Aquamarine over Oyster, but it isn't. It looks like the original spec was charcoal interior. Can't see clearly but looks like only 3 pieces of the trim have been swapped for Oyster, so the centre colsole and arm rest and front seats are mismatched. You cannot see from the photos if the rear seat has the correct coloured stripe, or if the 1/4 panel trim has been swapped out as well, but the text would suggest not. Unfortunately done half a job so bit of a mismatch in the interior as you now have 3 shades/colours Oyster, Black and Charcoal.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

On 03/08/2019 at 09:50, Inkyfingers said:

OK, so after 4+ years I've decided I'm definitely going to sell the Evora. Very difficult decision as every time I drive it I fall in love with it, but I'm just not driving it enough.

I had considered chopping it in for an Elise, but Elise prices seem to be very strong now, so might go without for a while.

Anybody had any recent experience of the market for an Evora S IPS 2012 MY (27k miles)?

I sold mine through Silverstone. It had 35k miles but otherwise the same. Mine was black. I actually took it up to Silverstone last November as I just wasn't using it and effectively got free storage as I don't think they were selling many cars last Spring ! I eventually sold after their open day for a little less than I hoped for but the car only cost me £2500 in depreciation over 5 years so I can't really grumble. Silverstone were very easy to deal with as you would expect. I think the market is a bit slow at the moment but then so are a lot of things with general uncertainty in the air.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gregs24 said:

I sold mine through Silverstone. It had 35k miles but otherwise the same. Mine was black. I actually took it up to Silverstone last November as I just wasn't using it and effectively got free storage as I don't think they were selling many cars last Spring ! I eventually sold after their open day for a little less than I hoped for but the car only cost me £2500 in depreciation over 5 years so I can't really grumble. Silverstone were very easy to deal with as you would expect. I think the market is a bit slow at the moment but then so are a lot of things with general uncertainty in the air.

Just to add another vote for selling via Silverstone on SOR. Only difference in my case was that they collected the car from me late November last year and sold it for what I wanted (in cash terms to me) after 11 days.

4 hours ago, Colin P said:

I was about to agree with you. The spec I was searching for on my first Evora; Aquamarine over Oyster, but it isn't. It looks like the original spec was charcoal interior. Can't see clearly but looks like only 3 pieces of the trim have been swapped for Oyster, so the centre colsole and arm rest and front seats are mismatched. You cannot see from the photos if the rear seat has the correct coloured stripe, or if the 1/4 panel trim has been swapped out as well, but the text would suggest not. Unfortunately done half a job so bit of a mismatch in the interior as you now have 3 shades/colours Oyster, Black and Charcoal.

Ah interesting! That completely passed me by, good spot! It looks like a 2+0, so the stripe on the rear seat is one less thing to worry about. It looks like a very tidy car though.

• Gold FFM

^^ I recall that the aquamarine blue Evora was for sale a couple of months back at Lotus Silverstone for a similar price.

https://www.lotussilverstone.co.uk/vehicle-details/Lotus-Evora-U175/

I notice that it has been modified with parking sensors half way up the rear bumper; much prefer them on the diffuser myself.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

Hi guys,

So I was due to start a thread - "which Evora?" as I wasn't sure to go Evora (low running costs, low depreciation) S (improved but more expensive to run) and 400 (obviously higher initial outlay) but the more I've done my research, the more I've realised I would really like the 400. 

Now, it seems a decent spec 400 would be £55K but then you can get a 410 for perhaps another £10K more. I'm trying to sort my man maths out and would like some thoughts on should I try to stretch to the 410 or go for the 400? 

I do tend to justify my car buys by working out cost over 3 years - sometimes I'll flip sooner, sometimes later but it's how I work and feel comfortably justifying it to myself.....and the partner! 

So assuming there's not a huge difference between the 400 / 410 in terms of enjoyment and both are available +2, I was wondering which would work out better value. Will the 410 cost more because it's starting from a higher price point? 

With Evora (nicely looked after examples) values currently sticking around the £30-35K mark, S £35-45K and 400s from £55K and 410s from £65K where do we see the the future values going forward? Will they all bunch up? As a starting point for discussion, in 3 years will they look like this??

Evora: £25-30K
S: £30-40K
400: £45-55K
410: £55k+

If the above is right, then I'd be able to PX a £55K 400 for £42K (assuming £3k for SOR) so £13K loss. If I wanted to flip a £65K 410 then I'd be looking at a similar loss. Does that feel right or should the newer car lose more? 

All help and advice appreciated!! 

GM.

6 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

The original 410 was only available as a 2+0. The fixed back, carbon seats meant that you wouldn’t be able to access the rear seats, even if they were there. 

Ah! So 400 it is then!! 

I thought I'd seen 410s with the 2+2 seat option but I guess then these are newer and so more £££.

I'd still appreciate thoughts on the price of 400s going forward. Especially with us looking increasingly likely to leave the EU with no deal, do we see this having a negative impact on prices of such cars or are they more immune than, say, house prices?

BR,

GM.

Hi @Gin_Man, are you looking for an auto or manual? Much like you I started out looking at NA’s, then the S then ended up hankering after a 400.

Ive driven a few 410’s too and IMO you won’t notice the difference unless your some kind of track champion.

From my experience of owning a 400 the rear seats are super handy in terms of additional baggage space, also perfectly usable even by my two youngest on short journeys (12 and 13 at the time). 

Its a stunning car in all of its guises and I would thoroughly recommend ownership. If it’s not the car for you then just swap it out for an Elise and you’ll have half the running costs and just as much fun. 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruss said:

If you like it and can afford it, buy it.

Feck future values, you're buying the wrong car as an investment if you're looking at Lotus.

Hey @Bruss, no car is an investment (unless you can afford a limited run GT car) but just looking for something that won’t burn me as I have been in the past (lost 25k in 2.5 years which really hurt my ability to move to the next car so had to do without one for a while). Do you think £13k depreciation over 3 years on a 3 year old 400 sounds about right?

Best,

GM

Edited by Gin_Man
Better English

Hi @Nathan Pitman, you’ve got the IPS right? 

I’m not sure right now as haven’t driven one but IF it’s like my experience of when I bought my Cayman R, I much preferred the manual with short shift vs PDK which was sluggish and I also felt more connected to the car with the manual. 

I want to put the miles on the car and use it like you (I have 3 kids not of a dissimilar age to you) so I can see the attraction of IPS but it won’t be used for a daily commute so unsure which way I’ll land esp as it seems the Evora’s shift doesn’t sound like it’ll be good as the Cayman’s. 

Did you try both? 

Thanks,

GM. 

@Gin_Man

Hi, I don't think there would be significant differences between the 400 and 410 in terms of depreciation but I do think any of these cars are going to follow the normal depreciation curve. Bigz losses in the 1st and 2nd year, followed by a levelling out in the 3rd and 4th years. The more you spend on the new car the more the 1st year percentage loss hurts. A gt at 100 plus could easily lose you your 25 k in the 1st year. Porsche seem to buck this trend and Lotus can't be compared with them.

Choose the car you want to keep for 2 years plus and you should be OK.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bruss said:

@Gin_Man

Hi, I don't think there would be significant differences between the 400 and 410 in terms of depreciation but I do think any of these cars are going to follow the normal depreciation curve. Bigz losses in the 1st and 2nd year, followed by a levelling out in the 3rd and 4th years. The more you spend on the new car the more the 1st year percentage loss hurts. A gt at 100 plus could easily lose you your 25 k in the 1st year. Porsche seem to buck this trend and Lotus can't be compared with them.

Choose the car you want to keep for 2 years plus and you should be OK.

Thank you @Bruss, from your experience does IPS or manual have any impact? Is one more desirable than the other impacting resale? 

Best,

GM 

The 400 IPS is epic sounding. I'll be listening to @Colin P's down shifts in a couple of weeks as we thrash about the IoM and I will be smiling and laughing at the wonderful auto blips. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 400 IPS system. It is well sorted.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

28 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The 400 IPS is epic sounding. I'll be listening to @Colin P's down shifts in a couple of weeks as we thrash about the IoM and I will be smiling and laughing at the wonderful auto blips. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 400 IPS system. It is well sorted.

That may be true but they are still slow sellers unfortunately.

46 minutes ago, Bruss said:

That may be true but they are still slow sellers unfortunately.

Oh I definitely agree with you there. I was just referring to the IPS functioning.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The Early IPS had issues I believe and the 400 has had the odd gremlin of issues when cold. There is a 400 IPS in Adelaide that the owner who opted for a 400 over a run of Porsche's, who has major issues. The Dealer stuffed up and owner is currently making a song and dance via one of the "Australian" news  papers.. not a good look. I cannot link the article because you need a subscription to access it.🤨

3 hours ago, au-yt said:

The Early IPS had issues I believe and the 400 has had the odd gremlin of issues when cold. There is a 400 IPS in Adelaide that the owner who opted for a 400 over a run of Porsche's, who has major issues. The Dealer stuffed up and owner is currently making a song and dance via one of the "Australian" news  papers.. not a good look. I cannot link the article because you need a subscription to access it.🤨

What issues are you referring to?

From what I have found from discussions the gearbox is sluggish and won’t change or kick down. Corrected by turning the car off and restarting sorting the issue.

15 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Oh I definitely agree with you there. I was just referring to the IPS functioning.

I’ve seen so many manual 410s stuck on the market while my Auto sold in 3 weeks. It depends entirely on condition, history and spec. For example my 410 came without a screen but I soon fitted one with car play, not only because I wanted it, but I knew this would be attractive to the next buyer. 

And I don’t think people know just how good the Auto is. It may lag behind Porsche’s PDK but you’ll only know this if you track it. Otherwise day to day around town there’s zero difference.

Edited by london_v
  • Like 2

It’s more about what sort of car experience you want and not buying a manual or auto because of resale as long as you go into it eyes open with what the market might say...:.like buying a brown car...I think!! 

I’m sure there is demand for both as lots more Evora drivers seem to use it as a daily than your other traditional (German) marques so can see the attraction of an auto. Also, the same marques are “educating” the public that auto is the accepted way forward whereas when I drove my first 911 around 15 years ago it just felt wrong that it wasn’t manual. Now the vast majority of those types of cars are  autos. 

Hi guys,

So partner has green lighted the 400 purchase as long as kids can sit in back so need to go check one out. I think I read the space in the back is appreciably different to the Evora and S so need to specifically check the 400 out. Don’t seem any close to where I am (Berkshire) so will need to organise a day trip with kids in tow. 

In terms of spec I really like the look of red leather (one on PH currently has mix of red leather and Alcantara which looks lovely!).

I’m also unsure on colour - I really like red and yellow but also don’t mind the gunmetal grey - I’ve had cars keyed and just general unwanted attention in the past so I wonder if grey would be the better choice rather than balls out type of colour. Thoughts? 

Any options that are must haves which would put you off buying a specific example? 

Best,

GM