Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 97 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

Hi All,          new to this forum.

2017 400 Blue

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-3-5-v6-400-2dr/9826212

Looking to get back into a Lotus in the shape of an Evora and looking for some help with the history on this car if anyone knows anything?

Do the upgrades make it more or less valuable on resale?

Think it once belonged to Ian Walker .... is he on here?

Seen various posts on S v 400 v 410 so won't go into that..... horses for courses and price I think.

Looking forward to your info :-)

4 hours ago, london_v said:

I’ve seen so many manual 410s stuck on the market while my Auto sold in 3 weeks. It depends entirely on condition, history and spec. For example my 410 came without a screen but I soon fitted one with car play, not only because I wanted it, but I knew this would be attractive to the next buyer. 

And I don’t think people know just how good the Auto is. It may lag behind Porsche’s PDK but you’ll only know this if you track it. Otherwise day to day around town there’s zero difference.

The 410s are a harder buy than the 400s as they don't have the +2 biohazard seats. That more than the fact they are manual is what makes them harder to sell. Indeed IPS 410s don't really sell full stop.

For a 400, I think a manual will sell faster than an IPS. Interestingly I'm buying the metal screen blanking plate for my 410 and thinking about ripping the ICE, subwoofer etc out. Even better if it was a hinged lid and I then had a double din in dash storage box. Hmm. Now there's an idea.

Although I bought my 410 new, it was a stock car at Silverstone and fully loadable. I wouldn't have bothered, if specifying it from new, with the ICE, sound deadening, sub woofer or air con (the latter I only use in the winter to clear the windows,) as when I drive my 410 unless it is pissing it down, then my windows are fully open. 🤪😂🤣👍  

There's an owner out there for every Evora. Sometimes it just takes a wee longer for the perfect match to be made.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

If you’re in Berkshire go to Bell & Colvill they currently have a 400 (Manual and auto) and a few 410’s all in and around your budget I think (though all black/grey). Only a quick squirt down the M3 and round a bit of the M25 to get there and Jamie will sort your kids your with Lotus biscuits. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The 410s are a harder buy than the 400s as they don't have the +2 biohazard seats. That more than the fact they are manual is what makes them harder to sell. Indeed IPS 410s don't really sell full stop.

For a 400, I think a manual will sell faster than an IPS. Interestingly I'm buying the metal screen blanking plate for my 410 and thinking about ripping the ICE, subwoofer etc out. Even better if it was a hinged lid and I then had a double din in dash storage box. Hmm. Now there's an idea.

Although I bought my 410 new, it was a stock car at Silverstone and fully loadable. I wouldn't have bothered, if specifying it from new, with the ICE, sound deadening, sub woofer or air con (the latter I only use in the winter to clear the windows,) as when I drive my 410 unless it is pissing it down, then my windows are fully open. 🤪😂🤣👍  

My Cayman R didn’t have AC and it was a nightmare in winter or when raining having to wipe the windscreen!! Took me back to my first car ownership days having to deal with a choke and now PAS!!! 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Although I bought my 410 new, it was a stock car at Silverstone and fully loadable. I wouldn't have bothered, if specifying it from new, with the ICE, sound deadening, sub woofer or air con

Just as well you didn't, as that would've been a struggle come resale time too. The 4xx IPS is great, shame if it is not a big seller. Maybe it is because of the longer 5th and 6th limiting the headline Vmax that nobody does anyway? 

The general rule is you never get the money back on upgrades. Some people will love them, for others it'll mean they run away.

If you like it. Buy it. Drive it. Smile a lot etc.

If you want minimum financial loss then don't buy a car in the first place and use public transport!

There's plenty of hard evidence on here re prices, residuals etc. alteady. Apologies if I am coming over grumpy but with a car like this you might just as well ask Gypsy Rose Lea to swirl the tea leaves to predict future value. It's a one off.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

5 hours ago, au-yt said:

From what I have found from discussions the gearbox is sluggish and won’t change or kick down. Corrected by turning the car off and restarting sorting the issue.

Not one that I've heard of myself and never had that problem in mine. Make sure the latest TCU software is uploaded as this has made a big difference over the years. It is a torque convertor rather than dual clutch box but there are pros and cons to both. Don't listen to the torque convertors are old fashioned and therefore no good. I have driven both types in a variety of cars and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Torque convertors are on the whole more reliable as well. Some people just don't like auto boxes, but for everyday driving I would never go back to manual.

5 minutes ago, tim_marra said:

Just as well you didn't, as that would've been a struggle come resale time too. The 4xx IPS is great, shame if it is not a big seller. Maybe it is because of the longer 5th and 6th limiting the headline Vmax that nobody does anyway? 

But I didn't buy it to sell it so it's a moot non point to be honest.  Buy the car you want and don't worry about the next owner. How many of us look at the lucky sod who bought his Esprit turbo, GT3, 300 or 350 or V8 new and still has it in great nick and regularly drives it 10, 20, 30 or even more years later? How many of us want to be that guy? For me the 410 will be the GT3, 300 et al of the Evora range.  The GT430 will be the 350/V8.

7 minutes ago, Gin_Man said:

My Cayman R didn’t have AC and it was a nightmare in winter or when raining having to wipe the windscreen!! Took me back to my first car ownership days having to deal with a choke and now PAS!!! 😊

The more effort the more involvement the more engagement the more intimacy. It's the same with a girlfriend or mistress too. Doesn't work with the wife mind you, your better off just trading that in,! 

• Haha 1

The small print.

Iirc correctly I think it was originally traded in to Oakmere. It's on here somewhere, previous owner has a carbon manufacturing company mainly for cycles.

The small print.

Wow that’s “ambitious” pricing! £71K for a nigh-on 3 year-old Evora?! It probably cost about that new! Just because the previous owner spunked a lot on modifications, doesn’t mean you have to reimburse him! What are other 2017 400s going for nowadays?

On 31/08/2019 at 18:54, Gin_Man said:

Hi @Nathan Pitman, you’ve got the IPS right? 

I’m not sure right now as haven’t driven one but IF it’s like my experience of when I bought my Cayman R, I much preferred the manual with short shift vs PDK which was sluggish and I also felt more connected to the car with the manual. 

I want to put the miles on the car and use it like you (I have 3 kids not of a dissimilar age to you) so I can see the attraction of IPS but it won’t be used for a daily commute so unsure which way I’ll land esp as it seems the Evora’s shift doesn’t sound like it’ll be good as the Cayman’s. 

Did you try both? 

Yea I bought an IPS (well 'auto' as they call it in the 400). I really loved the paddle shift, as I've mentioned elsewhere and others will no doubt tell you, it's rubbish at low speed in touring mode but the simple solution is to just always drive it in sport mode. The gear changes get progressively faster the harder you push it and it's great to fire through the gears and the auto blip on downshift is lovely.

If you do take a visit to Bell & Colvill then I would recommend trying both manual and auto. I personally don't get on with the long clutch on the manual (feels very different to the Elise which has a much shorter travel) but there are a ton of people that love it so perhaps I'm just weird. ;)

Edited by Nathan Pitman

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

The more effort the more involvement the more engagement the more intimacy. It's the same with a girlfriend or mistress too. Doesn't work with the wife mind you, your better off just trading that in,! 

I found with the girlfriend less effort was required for more intimacy. When she became the wife, it flipped the other way round!!! 

Can you point me to a place that will be give me a good P/X value for her? 😊

3 hours ago, MadMick said:

Hi All,          new to this forum.

2017 400 Blue

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-3-5-v6-400-2dr/9826212

Looking to get back into a Lotus in the shape of an Evora and looking for some help with the history on this car if anyone knows anything?

Do the upgrades make it more or less valuable on resale?

Looking forward to your info 🙂

Forget the so called “upgrades,” compare the car with others around same year & mileage

Oh and that advert would really put me off. I find it difficult to read beyond the first sentence when it starts “AT THIS PRICE WONT BE HERE FOR LONG,”.

Look at the rest of the dealer’s adverts, they are all the same :thumbdown:. It wouldn’t inspire me with much confidence but maybe that’s just me.

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Wow that’s “ambitious” pricing! £71K for a nigh-on 3 year-old Evora?! It probably cost about that new! Just because the previous owner spunked a lot on modifications, doesn’t mean you have to reimburse him! What are other 2017 400s going for nowadays?

2015-2017 models are ranging from £55-60k tops. Nothing more than that other than this one. 

26 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

Yea I bought an IPS (well 'auto' as they call it in the 400). I really loved the paddle shift, as I've mentioned elsewhere and others will no doubt tell you, it's rubbish at low speed in touring mode but the simple solution is to just always drive it in sport mode. The gear changes get progressively faster the harder you push it and it's great to fire through the gears and the auto blip on downshift is lovely.

If you do take a visit to Bell & Colvill then I would recommend trying both manual and auto. I personally don't get on with the long clutch on the manual (feels very different to the Elise which has a much shorter travel) but there are a ton of people that love it so perhaps I'm just weird. ;)

What options on the car were must haves for you? What colour did you get? 

4 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

Forget the so called “upgrades,” compare the car with others around same year & mileage

Oh and that advert would really put me off. I find it difficult to read beyond the first sentence when it starts “AT THIS PRICE WONT BE HERE FOR LONG,”.

Look at the rest of the dealer adverts, they are all the same :thumbdown:

It’s on AT for £60k!!

9 minutes ago, Gin_Man said:

I got B&C to swap out the head unit for a CarPlay compatible one... car already had the front PPF'd. Beyond that I think it's just down to personal preferences, interior and exterior colour (min was racing green with yellow brake calipers and badges and a black leather interior). I think pretty much everything else about an Evora 400 is standard beyond the forged wheels and rear seat delete. I personally prefer the look of the forged wheels.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Gin_Man said:

I found with the girlfriend less effort was required for more intimacy. When she became the wife, it flipped the other way round!!! 

Can you point me to a place that will be give me a good P/X value for her? 😊

Nope - keep her 😂. I sure don’t want another like that

• Like 2

Only here once

23 hours ago, PaulCP said:

Look at the rest of the dealer’s adverts, they are all the same :thumbdown:. It wouldn’t inspire me with much confidence but maybe that’s just me.

Paul .. tend to agree. Not interested in all their 'garbage' just in the car. Proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Let's see.

Saw it thanks ... been on all the other sites for £71k for quite some time but was not interested at that inflated price.

Like the colour... for me one of better options.

*** Still interested to learn more about it's history ... with those mods almost certainly tracked and want to make sure no nasties there.

M.

16 hours ago, MadMick said:

The previous owner definitely used to be on here. However, unfortunately, I’m struggling to remember his username. The Ex460 kit was installed by @Hangar 111. Maybe they can either remember his username or might be willing to put you in touch directly?

I think that he traded the car for an Elise Cup of some flavour. 

I also recall that the previous owner had made a custom carbon front lip for the car (to go with the rear spoiler). However, the front lip doesn’t seem to be on the car any more. 

Aha. Found him. The previous owner was @IgEvo400 and here is a thread about the car:

Edited by Bravo73
Added previous owner details

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

The previous owner definitely used to be on here. However, unfortunately, I’m struggling to remember his username. The Ex460 kit was installed by @Hangar 111. Maybe they can either remember his username or might be willing to put you in touch directly?

I think that he traded the car for an Elise Cup of some flavour. 

I also recall that the previous owner had made a custom carbon front lip for the car (to go with the rear spoiler). However, the front lip doesn’t seem to be on the car any more. 

Aha. Found him. The previous owner was @IgEvo400 and here is a thread about the car:

Hi Jonny,

Thanks for that great info. Will contact Ian and see what he can shed light on for me.

Yes splitter was a nice addition, shame it's not there now.

M.

16 hours ago, Gin_Man said:

2015-2017 models are ranging from £55-60k tops. Nothing more than that other than this one. 

It’s on AT for £60k!!

Gutted to see this for sale at 60k... that car is my dream spec Evora but I discounted it at 71k!.. too late now as I’ve bought a 2016 in white. I think 2 weeks into ownership might be a little too soon to talk about part ex’ing it in 😅

6 hours ago, 62dave said:

Gutted to see this for sale at 60k... that car is my dream spec Evora but I discounted it at 71k!.. too late now as I’ve bought a 2016 in white. I think 2 weeks into ownership might be a little too soon to talk about part ex’ing it in 😅

Did you get the IPS one at Lotus Silverstone? 

35 minutes ago, Gin_Man said:

Did you get the IPS one at Lotus Silverstone? 

I was tempted by that car but had IPS on my sports racer a few years ago and fancied manual this time. My one was for sale at snows on hedge end