Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
anyone tried vw passat/audi a6 calipers on the rear of their pre 85 cars? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

anyone tried vw passat/audi a6 calipers on the rear of their pre 85 cars?

I was looking around for alternatives(though my originals are ok for now) , and looks like pnm`s kit is based on vw passat/audi a6 etc calipers (00-05 ish i think), the s3 version they have looks machined, but the s2/s1 version looks like the exact same caliper and the pads match too..  would be good to know if they are one and the same..   i might look into it with my s3 as one of these calipers can be grabbed for less than £30 on the ebay.

ta, Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

These are what you are discussing, yes they fit. 

Not an upgrade but a better version than the crummy girlings that have a rubbish hand brake. 

The cables need adapting though. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Much lighter also✌️

• Like 2

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the specification for these calipers?

Please add them to the Excel spreadsheed for interchangable/alternate source parts list.

• Like 1

The Real Stig Lotus Turbo Esprit, Lotus Elise S1, Lotus Elite, Lancia Delta, Jaguar XF ....Previous cars: Subaru SVX, Porsche 924 Turbo, Lotus Eclat Excel, Lotus Elite, Matra Murena 2,2, Fiat X1/9 5sp

These are for my Turbo Esprit My 84

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Maybe I'm missing something here but are we saying that a pair of Passat rear calipers are a direct replacement for the Lotus originals on an 84 TE and fit on the same mounts? If so I'm interested for my TE....🤔

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• 2 months later...
On 11/09/2018 at 22:41, eeyoreish said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but are we saying that a pair of Passat rear calipers are a direct replacement for the Lotus originals on an 84 TE and fit on the same mounts? If so I'm interested for my TE....🤔

I would be interested for clarification with this too @top-plumber @Mark Wainwright 

Can it be done as a straight swap, what adaption to handbrake cable, which model year Passat... 

Would appreciate the info. and any other relevant points. 

Cheers, Steve. 

I popped what research i did online in my spreadsheet here.  This was detective work so would be good to get a full verification from @top-plumber  but i`m pretty sure its right.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1746WogW57q_L65fECYfSIuAJiKpe8Xm74DU4lb5ystA/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=114210073998358829610

also dont know what other year giugiaros they fit. 

Edited by Mark Wainwright
  • Like 1

Mine's all apart at the moment. I might go round to the mechanics next door and see if they have any of those cars in their 'will deal with that later' park. If they do; I'll do some testing and report back.

• Like 1

I notice on the pic posted by Wayne that the bleed nipples are at the bottom, which may mean you will need to bleed off the car (unless you can swap to the other side of the car.   George can you confirm distance between mounting centres of the originals and the rough overall dimentions, also including disstance of retracted piston to the opposing claw and finally the piston diameter?   (A number of the Ads on Ebay include such dimentions to allow comparison)

• Like 2

for ref heres the pnm engineering page which uses the passat calipers, i cant work out if any machining has been done on either for the s3/turbo or s1-2.2   but they look the same to me, incl location of the bleed nipple.

http://www.pnmengineering.com/lotus-esprit-brakespre85.html

They dont appear to supply new cables, which is probably good newas as it suggests the existing ones are not too difficult to adapt.   possibly need to alter the length of free cable, or do something to allow the existing able ferrules fit in the new caliper actuators.    

On 19/11/2018 at 10:29, semi42 said:

Wonder if the Passat later version calipers would fit, the ones with the electric handbrake, and would that retrofit be legal?

this is an interesteing question.. someone should have a go! ;)

I dont see why it wouldn`t be legal..   i`d imagine the handbrake just has to work for an mot pass, regardless of how its installed... if they fit it`d actually be a nice upgrade.

I haven’t fitted these yet as the engine is still on the bench. Getting close to reinstalling but still a way to go. As soon as the gearbox and drive shafts are in I shall post pictures. Confidence is high.✌️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...