Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hoons, Meets and Convoys to Hotels - Page 4 - Lotus 70th Anniversary Party @ Lotus Cars - 29th September 2018 - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hoons, Meets and Convoys to Hotels

On 28/08/2018 at 11:29, dapinky said:

If we say 1300 at Chievely, we have a start of a plan - Kathryn, that allows about half an hour from finishing work to leaving home - is that enough time (I am happy to hang around a bit for you if the others want to push on - but would prefer to be off the M25 sooner rather than later).

As such, to extrapolate the route backwards, I shall be leaving Pembroke at 0830 hours, Friday 28th September - with the following rough 'waypoints'........

0830 - Pembroke Dock

1000 - M4 Swansea West services

1120 - M4 Magor Services

1210 - M4 Leigh Delamere (Eastbound) @clemo

1300 - M4 Chievely @CocoPops @Geoffers @Kathryn

1500 - M25 South Mimms

1600 - M11 Birchanger Green

1730 - Dunston Hall (except I'm staying down the road a bit!)

The timings are a bit of a 'guestimate' based on Google Maps, local knowledge and hopefulness - I have tried to build in a bit of a stop at each location as required - just shortish breaks for a coffee and leg stretch - no meal breaks in there. The times are (sort of) leaving times from each location, so anyone who is joining should try to be ready to go at that time - ie, have your cup of Costa and petrol in the tank!!!

As anyone who knows me will tell you - I'm hopeful that it will work, but expectant that the whole thing will have gone wrong by the time I get to Carmarthen, and I'll roll into Dunston just after they call 'last orders'.

(Oh, and if anyone thinks that the times are way out, feel free to shout - I guesed it a bit - also if anyone else wants to suggest an added 'join point' then go for it - even if it is a phone call on approach to a junction, then a steady drive as you catch up..... the points above are mainly to allow for short breaks along the journey for those who want them - if no-one does, we can just crack on.)

Anyone else for this route?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
12 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Anyone else for this route?

I may well not be going on my own proposed convoy route now🤔....

...it has been suggested that the M25/M11 will be a bit of a bugger, and that once I'm over the bridge to Englandshire, I should head upwards towards Gods own county (but hang a right before I get there), and go somewhere near Oxford, MK, Cambridge.....

.... Google says it makes no difference, but Geoff seems to think that it does.

Geoff or Google....

Sorry, Geoff, I’ll go with the live updates rather than a hunch :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

3 hours ago, dapinky said:

...it has been suggested that the M25/M11 will be a bit of a bugger, and that once I'm over the bridge to Englandshire, I should head upwards towards Gods own county (but hang a right before I get there), and go somewhere near Oxford, MK, Cambridge.....

Is that another Geoff? I don't think I said that. I think whichever way you go it will be busy on a Friday afternoon.

4 hours ago, dapinky said:

Dave, that’s the way I’m going. Google told me it was quicker but I don’t live as far East as you! I plan to bypass Oxford though (the A34 can be a bit of a bugger too) and get back on the main route at Bicester.

55 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

Dave, that’s the way I’m going. Google told me it was quicker but I don’t live as far East as you! I plan to bypass Oxford though (the A34 can be a bit of a bugger too) and get back on the main route at Bicester.

Smiffy has come up with a route which means that I am probably meeting Clemo at his house, then travel X-country towards Blenheim Palace or something..... bypass Oxford, and carry on. As he seems to know the route, I'll just be following. But when it all goes wrong, I'll probably get the blame.

2 hours ago, Geoffers said:

Is that another Geoff? I don't think I said that. I think whichever way you go it will be busy on a Friday afternoon.

It is another Geoff..... sorry for confusion (Geoff Smith)..... and to avoid Friday afternoon, I may well be travelling Friday morning (the benefit of being retired - not susceptible to work schedules)

Edited by dapinky

3 hours ago, dapinky said:

Smiffy has come up with a route which means that I am probably meeting Clemo at his house, then travel X-country towards Blenheim Palace or something..... bypass Oxford, and carry on. As he seems to know the route, I'll just be following. But when it all goes wrong, I'll probably get the blame.

I assume you mean Geoff’s house not Clemo’s!

If I leave at my planned time I’ll be near Blenheim (or rather just north of Kidlington) at about 1.45. 

From Ian Parkin, Leven Lotus - the plan is to meet at the dealership (Leven Lotus Edinburgh, Bankhead Drive, Edinburgh, EH11 4DJ) around 8.00am, setting off at 8.30am. The first stop will be at Scotch Corner Services, we should arrive around 11.30am, this will give people the opportunity to stretch legs/get food or coffee and also let any stragglers catch up. We will set off at 12.00pm and carry on down to East Kirkby to the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby, Spilsby, Lincs, PE23 4DE) They have a Lancaster Bomber that will be taxing that day, I've called ahead and been informed that weather permitting we will have some picture opportunities with the cars and the Lancaster Bomber. They have a museum which is £8.50 entry if anyone is interested in having a look around. From this point we aren't too far from Norfolk so i'd expect folk to start branching off and heading to overnight accommodation, alternatively we can find somewhere to get some pictures of the cars if anyone knows any good spots around that area.

Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier! Lets get as many Lotus cars from north of the border and north England to head down the road together! What a sight that will be and what a cracking way to start the weekend celebrations!

• Like 1

delands, if I am going down Friday, Scotch Corner is fine for me, although I will probably join you earlier on the A1 around the Newcastle area.

Edited by PaulLF1

that sounds like a lovely trip down.........only.....what time do you plan on getting to the Hotel.......

BBQ starts at 7pm I believe

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Not all are going to hotel for BBQ.  Should get to Lancaster Bomber museum around 1500.  Can stay as long as you want .. 

91 miles 2hrs drive according to Google maps to Dunston Hall Hotel thereafter museum.

On 24/09/2018 at 08:48, dapinky said:

go somewhere near Oxford, MK, Cambridge.....

Been checking this route out, looks like a nicer drive than plodding around the M4/M25/M11 route. Timewise not much in it either, so most likely will be going that way too.

Edited by Geoffers

12 hours ago, theelanman said:

that sounds like a lovely trip down.........only.....what time do you plan on getting to the Hotel.......

BBQ starts at 7pm I believe

Yes it sounds great but BBQ timings are, meet at 6:00pm food 7:00pm. I would love to go to the museum but I do want to get to the Hotel mid afternoon and relax as I will have been travelling down from Inverness late afternoon Thursday after a board meeting, head for home, change cars, pick up the wife and travel to near Durham staying overnight and leaving there first thing in the morning to get to my mother in law's house in Aslockton for midday. Quick turnaround and head off around 1:00pm to Dunston Hall hopefully arriving there about 3:00pm. What time do you think you will pass the A1/A17 junction Gareth? @theelanman

On 24/09/2018 at 08:48, dapinky said:

Mate, the M25 after 15:30 and M11 after 16:00 are mares on a Friday. Hence the reason the earlier convoy is at Stanstead by 13:30. A good way round it is A1 to A505 Baldock then past Duxford and onto the A14 there. It's much betterer and less traffic. Its the way I go late on a Friday when I am coming back from Head Office in Bucks

I will be at A11/A14 junction by 2pm meeting the Convoy which leaves Stanstead just after 13:30.

Anyone see's me in the Big layby at Red Lodge is welcome to wait with me for the others and have a chat!

See you there guys and girls

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

For anyone who does risk the Northern section of the M25 I would also suggest the you do not stop at South Mimms Services.

I always try not to stop there but a few Fridays ago had to do so since my grandson was desperate for the toilet. The roundabout that it is located just off is a nightmare at the best of times but this particular Friday (early afternoon) it took me almost an hour to get out of the services. The exits were totally congested due to problems on the roundabout.

• Gold FFM
23 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

For anyone who does risk the Northern section of the M25 I would also suggest the you do not stop at South Mimms Services.

I always try not to stop there but a few Fridays ago had to do so since my grandson was desperate for the toilet. The roundabout that it is located just off is a nightmare at the best of times but this particular Friday (early afternoon) it took me almost an hour to get out of the services. The exits were totally congested due to problems on the roundabout.

That is 100% correct. 

I've notice there's a convoy from Birchanger Green services tomorrow lunchtime and what I would love to do is film you lot going up the M11 from a bridge. The M11 virtually runs right through my village(Elsenham) to which there are 2 bridges. These are roughly about 5 miles from the services heading North bound. The one I will be on is a pedestrian bridge about which is the 3rd overhead bridge you come as you start to go up a the hill. It would be great to film a load of you with some tooting and lights flashing:driving:(the slower the better although not Driving Miss Daisy slow). I might try and get my misses to take some pics as well if she's about, (she's a professional wedding photographer don't you know and has already done a Lotus Wedding(GST)…….:takingaphoto:

If this convoy is still on then let me know, and about 10 mins before you leave the services text me so I can get there as its a 10 min walk or 5 min bike ride from my house.

Save given my number out to everyone if someone wants to PM and I'll send it to you one of you so you can text me when your leaving....

Roll on Saturday.....:thumbsup:

• Gold FFM

@Steve1 we should be leaving Birchanger at 2pm all things being equal I am sure that might lag a bit so if you was on there around 2pm I would think you would have to wait long,. 

That by the way would make an awesome bit of film.

DanE 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan E said:

@Steve1 we should be leaving Birchanger at 2pm all things being equal I am sure that might lag a bit so if you was on there around 2pm I would think you would have to wait long,. 

That by the way would make an awesome bit of film.

DanE 

I'll head up there for 2pm, you've got to come through at some point....:lol: just hope its not peaing down...

Cheers DanE

Steve1

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

There’s a strong possibility we will be at Birchanger Services around the time mentioned. This will however be due to the desperate need to have a piss, rather than any burning desire to join a convoy.

If you take to long you wanna hope I don't need one, being on a bridge as well.... 🌨☂️🤣

• Haha 1