Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1997 Esprit V8 rebuild - remortgage needed - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1997 Esprit V8 rebuild - remortgage needed

hello, I know all about what your saying, even Alex had a similar story to tell, ok I've been building cars are my life.(long life) One does need to understand how these fantastic flat plane engines work.

My own Esprit story started with a 97 (98) year car.....now a Sport 350.... Six Speed gearbox.    Just wanted to say, in the end you will love the car, the photo looks fab. ps done roughly 60k miles in these fab V8's all together, Super Unleaded.

Jay from JAE is a great bloke and very very helpful, dealt with him since around 2005/6.. they have custom parts you can't buy now.

Lastly I don't get on the forum very often, although I was in at the start before Bibs went on to grow to all things Lotus .regards Rob

damfast35nut@talktalk.net or 07976 609881

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Rob

things are hopefully getting there slowly.  suspension is now getting put back together and hopefully shocks will be here on Monday.

considering how hard the split bush was to remove the new ones went in perfect

even after cleaning you can see the aluminium oxide that’s built up in the hole hence destroying 3 of them getting them out.  Have new ones from SJ and just need to clean the holes out 

CAC814C2-19FD-47E5-96E9-1AFB47B88980.jpeg

ABF148FF-E9BD-4998-9EFF-99034DD35C11.jpeg

AC06B4DC-B052-4E6A-B13A-9CA54DE24379.jpeg

5E87999F-A2AD-4440-813B-A0A29BB4139D.jpeg

D438CD2A-2A7F-4C34-B272-DAF1F5F7159D.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

I do find it easier to bolt the gearbox and engine mounts onto the gearbox and engine for plonking into the car

Do post up part numbers of the track rod ends 👍

Only here once

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, Mightymetro said:

12mm bolts whereas I’m using the 7/16” standard bolts that are loose in the bush tube but that’s how they go.  Guess they rely on the force of compression once tightened not to move

That’s wrong chap. Early units were the 7/16” ones - later they went to 12mm.

you need to get the trailing arms drilled out to 12mm or change the bushes. Don’t leave the play - it won’t be acceptable to rely on the compression force and you risk the back end going very wayward.

all else looks great - sneaky use of different shimming washers in the front tops. I bet you can’t wait for that engine to return from the master engine builder 👍

• Like 1

Only here once

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

That’s wrong chap. Early units were the 7/16” ones - later they went to 12mm.

you need to get the trailing arms drilled out to 12mm or change the bushes. Don’t leave the play - it won’t be acceptable to rely on the compression force and you risk the back end going very wayward.

all else looks great - sneaky use of different shimming washers in the front tops. I bet you can’t wait for that engine to return from the master engine builder 👍

There is only 1 part number for the trailing arm bushes and that is with the 12mm insert.  When I asked the question no one said any different So assumed they were just bolt on...........

don’t tell me they have to come off 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

im guessing its a drilled 12mm rather than a reamed 12mm hole?

with the shims I just put some washers in there while the old shims were in the citric acid.  All out now and back on the car awaiting geo set up 

B5EF6E4F-982B-4E40-A6FC-0C98FEA6000B.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Sorry I’d missed that post. Yes to change to polys on mine I needed the rear arms drilled out. Local machine shop did mine for almost nothing - they do have to be perfectly central 

Polys as I understand it are only 12mm the older rubber ones are the 7/16

Only here once

I am not sure that you need to modify the 'C' level radius arms when using the Lotac polyurethane mounting bush. I say this because I have a recollection that the original Metalastic A046D6000F rubber mounting bush had a 1/2" bore. But as I might be wrong has any one got one handy that they can measure?

My dear old Mum said its not the length, its the width you have to worry about. You seem to have that very problem. Shame the weather has broke or it could have all been done outside.

• Haha 1

On 26/04/2020 at 12:42, sailorbob said:

I am not sure that you need to modify the 'C' level radius arms when using the Lotac polyurethane mounting bush. I say this because I have a recollection that the original Metalastic A046D6000F rubber mounting bush had a 1/2" bore. But as I might be wrong has any one got one handy that they can measure?

SailerBob, you are correct, it was a 12.2 bore in the original one.  

spoke to PNM today and they advised to stick to the current set up rather than modify the radius arm

im just trying to understand the reasoning for and against.  I guess if it’s too snug a fitting it could end up seizing in the bush itself and stop the radius arm lifting and dropping but surely that is the point.

Today I had a final check of the front suspension and also fitted the brand new ABS sensors.  The old shims were corroded and after soaking in citric acid there wasn’t a lot left.  I fitted them but the gap between the ABS sensor and the pick ups was only 0.5mm and I think 0.6 is the minimum.  I ordered some 1mm spacer rings and fitted them so they are now 1.1mm away and within spec 

also refitted the rear brake lines and bled the brakes out using a Clarke pump up pressure bleeder.  Considering the brakes were off the car for 3 months and no fluid left in the system they bled out well within 3 rounds and pedal feels ok for now so I can move the car and then get it back in the garage once the engine arrives.  My drive is on a slip and didn’t wasn’t to push it out the garage and not be able to stop it 🙈🙈

AB3E29D8-C808-4FC8-A83D-D96EBEC0E028.jpeg

5671D18C-9FF2-4E18-BD48-771CF9050F5F.jpeg

Couple of photos of the new oil cooler pipes and the ARB.

this is the bleeder I was talking about above 👍🏻.  Really happy with it at the moment but will let you know once the cars going through the neighbours fence !!!!

1E78630A-78DD-42DE-8F57-16CF978F5CB6.jpeg

6316BDAB-395E-4AD6-9F14-956F92205A03.jpeg

BD322881-B40C-486E-914E-1F5A44192FCF.jpeg

F434E7AA-34B0-4A95-9168-D5C29F543B54.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s so frustrating that lotus haven’t addressed the variations in parts.  That’s the rear radius arm bushes that needed modifying and then these ARB bushes

might just bite the bullet and order a 16mm ARB as most V8’s should have.  Don’t want to go for the 17mm s350 as I don’t have the stiffer springs and don’t want to promote under steer

anyone got a 16mm bar?  Can swap for a 15mm 😂