Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

That exhaust looks lovely. Always toyed with making my SE dual exhaust and despite having a decat pipe already fitted, putting a cat back in.

Hope you find the reason for the problems.

• Like 1

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Bibs. I'll take a quick look at the MAP pipework today. They did some other work for me on the car (photos to follow another day) and could well have disturbed that thin tube in the process, so it could be that.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Giniw said:

Just to be sure, maybe you could try to reset the ECU since it may have learned bad infos when your cat was blocked?

Hoping that wont be needed now based on the MAP pipe discovery. But we'll see after a run out later this evening to test.

Plugged cat will certainly kill most of a car's power, likely both diags will turn out correct.

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Plugged cat will certainly kill most of a car's power, likely both diags will turn out correct.

There is a stretch of the M25 around Potters Bar/Waltham cross that is surfaced in concrete and it's a bit rough - or at least it feels like it in an Esprit - and it was around there that I was first aware I'd lost boost as I pulled out to overtake a car on one of the uphill stretches. My best guess is the rough surface was enough to shake an already fragile chunk of the cat innards free and block the exhaust.

1 minute ago, cweeden said:

You might want to hold on tight, it might be a touch more lively if the cat was blocked. 🙂 

Indeed. I'm hoping all the time I spent before it went in for the exhaust trying to set the actuator wasn't wasted and have to go through all that again 🙄 I'll prepare for a possible while knuckle ride when I enter the national speed limit road for the first time later.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, tomcattom said:

my target of of 0.65bar,

If I remember well the max boost of the S4s is 1 bar without the overboost. I am not sure how you are trying to adjust the actuator? It should be done with a pressure gauge and a calliper (the measuring one, not the braking one :D) and that's about it?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Section EF12 in the 1993 onwards manual states that 0.65bar should be set on the actuator and then solenoid gives you the 0.35bar extra to get your to magic 1bar number, based on the tests I conducted with and without the bleed solenoid connected and no other changes. This all assumes that I'm following the correct instructions for an S4s....

I did originally set the wastegate with a DTI gauge as per the book @Giniw, but I wasn't able to get consistent measurements using that method so wasn't totally convinced it was right from the off. After initally running the car I found my boost was only 75% of where it should be, so I switched to trial and error measurement/adjustment with Espritmon. It has since transpired that my old exhaust must have been partially blocked unbeknownst to me long before the new exhaust was fitted and the trial and error adjustments I had made were based on flawed information due to a restricted exhaust hurting the performance of the car.

It's a right ballache of a job to get the boot floor back out just to reset it all with a DTI again, so I'm just working back the other way with trial and error using Espritmon again until I hit 0.65bar and then I'll wire the wastegate solenoid back in and hopefully all will be right in the world again 🤞

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

At last, I have got my actuator set up how it should be. I'm now at 0.69bar (approx) of boost at 100% throttle. I won't be able to reach down to 0.65bar as per the book because I'm running a Forge wastegate actuator and the "stock" spring they supply is 0.7bar. In the end my manual setup with the DTI wasn't too far off from the start, I was only one turn of rod off where it needed to be. Moral of the story, check you exhaust isn't partially blocked first 🙄

1228516746_boost_actuator_only_post_exhaust_another_0.5_turnback.thumb.png.d35928987aefb2a4620742c8bf8dd4e4.png

Once the engine bay has cooled down I'll go back out and hook up the wastegate solenoid again and verify that I'm now seeing full boost under the right conditions.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

Last night I reinstalled the wastegate actuator solenoid to begin testing with that back in play. After doing that I decided to start giving the interior a much needed good clean for the first time since I've owned it - the wife keeps complaining I smell of "car" after I come back from a run in it. To be fair to her there is quite a strong smell of engine fumes absorbed into the materials, probably as a result of the long running fuel leak issues the car had before I owned it.

I gave the seats a clean and condition with Gliptone Liquid Leather. This shot shows before cleaning (right half) and after (left). They were quite greasy it would seem.

PXL_20220610_160839246.jpg.2c034545a4b2ca66217ce36731819d5f.jpg

All finished with conditioner applied.

PXL_20220610_170928419.thumb.jpg.003f66a3cda2965a658e92034ec72c0f.jpg

The headlining had quite a lot of ingrained stains, general discolouration and signs of mould that's been there since I've had the car. I tackled this with a mild concetration of all purpose cleaner sprayed on and then gently worked in with a damp microfibre cloth. What came out of the fabric into the cloth was disgusting :sick:

Roof panel before

PXL_20220610_161749388.thumb.jpg.8505904793ed47a556c01af172fd86ad.jpg

And after - not perfect but a vast improvment.

PXL_20220610_170902645.thumb.jpg.cc11e382267fa1f937a7158101906d6d.jpg

Back in place showing the rest of the headlining cleaned up. It's not as clean as I can potentially get it, but it's a major step up for a couple of hours work. I'll tackle it again more thoroughly in the not too distant future.

PXL_20220610_171547739.jpg.d21cadce0085f3279e627662893fa1d4.jpg

Then this morning I went out for a drive to go to the Cars & Coffee meet at Bremont's "Wing" manufacturing HQ in Henley. This is the first meet I've actually taken the car to. I got a great parking spot and it seemed to get a lot of attention given its spot :D

PXL_20220611_091543836.thumb.jpg.03a70d7067d205e1f1d46bb7d13f742f.jpgPXL_20220611_091603437_MP.thumb.jpg.7045c471d4de55e6530c24945b078cb0.jpg

Hope you were wearing a Bremont!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I wish @Chillidoggy!

Sadly all a bit more than I can currently justify the expense of given we're still trying to finish the house. Plus I am running an Esprit too 😆

Lovely angle, that shot of the car with Land Rover in the background. It's true the smell of petrol is enormously pungent, good job getting the interior freshened up.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

From what I overheard, I believe that Land Rover belongs to one of the Bremont founders, not sure which of the brothers though.

28 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

From what I overheard, I believe that Land Rover belongs to one of the Bremont founders, not sure which of the brothers though.

I met Giles English at a Bremont event a while ago. He’s a charming guy, and related the intriguing story of how he and his brother Nick decided on Bremont as the company name. I’m fairly sure that at that time Giles was driving a Porsche, and Nick a Jaaaag. 

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Giles was definitely milling about and speaking to folk. I didn't notice Nick though, but he may have been there and I simply didn't see him.

Very nice!

Also beware of the general purpose cleaner, I have seen some carpet strangely discoloured on a used bit I once bought for the Elan. Maybe it was not related to a cleaner at all, but ...?

Edited by Giniw

• Gold FFM

The cars and coffee meets are getting more and more common. There are some during the week, typically in the evenings. Never been to a weekday one myself, they're never close enough for me to make it worth driving to them after work. This one was a Saturday morning and very close by, so was convenient :)