Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

• Gold FFM

Tell me about it. My back, arms and shoulders aren't on speaking terms with me after this weekend. I spent all day Saturday filling a skip with waste left from our kitchen refurb before I spent the day on the car yesterday.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• Gold FFM

Last bit of work on the chassis this evening. Having straightened the crossmember in the vertical plane earlier in the week, there were a lot of ripples and bends along its length that needed attention, so I had a go a getting it back to something resembling straight.

Before

Od80AqagCQlZnJ5ibRV83oeoYRYrib0Ez4fHqqTV

After - The perfectionist in me wants to try and get it looking even better, but I'm at the stage of diminishing returns, but even so its a lot, LOT, better than it was.

M0zSGjSEUsgyor57DBkAGZ5AuchfH3qgrN4EFJPB

The final thing I did was straighen out the lip on the front edge of the cross member. Now to start putting things back on the car!

E8KoUZoIUNZpxHKqSuc97qDVG9zUbTsyt1LTGhb3

• Like 2

On 17/06/2020 at 18:02, Chillidoggy said:

I should have said grease the whole length of the bolts, they’re going through alloy, and we all know what can happen when alloy and steel and a bit of water get together.

I was under the impression copper grease should never be used on Alloys... not 100% but do recall reading that somewhere.

16 hours ago, Rolls said:

I was under the impression copper grease should never be used on Alloys... not 100% but do recall reading that somewhere.

Nonsense. I’ve never had any issues with copper grease, and I’ve had that frame out four times over the last 6 years. Unless you’re driving the car in the sea, the chances of corrosion without grease far outweighs any possibility of galvanic action. 

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Progress has been somewhat pedestrian of late for two reasons, the indicator reflectors (more on that in a moment) and because I had to partly repaint my previous bumper repair 🙁 After completing the previous paint efforts I went to move the bumper back out to the garage and as soon as I lifted it another of the previous fibreglass repairs decided to let got and another crack opened up so I had to repair and repaint it again 🤬 Its not perfect, but its passable until I can source a replacement bumper.

2kfl9dF9eaxHnbdaPdI0gJwNeb8fNaCW4xR9NhbN

wstKiCs4QIIvGU_t626BuPlXqEeTpcG2hLihWClu

As for the front indicators, a previous painter had evidently seen fit to not bother masking them up and consequently they had yellow paint all over them and all my efforts to clean the paint off took the silver coating off with it. I tried a chrome spray paint and it was frankly rubbish so I ended up sending them away to a company called VMC in Chertsey to have a vacuum metalised chrome finish applied. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than buying a new pair of indicators and the reflective finish is a big improvment on the factory finish too.

Cj7sDF0VBQRPPLoq8SJ4rhjM67Jgw2Se_SQpS9TR

Having got them back today I immediately set about replacing the side light bulb holders because they wouldn't stay put in the hole and also replaced the waterproof boot which necessitated cutting the holders off anyway.

sDpnE8GF1j_U79-RbTw7uvvvPhAfU6nrZU4Ns7W-

O2LgKOGqNAr-TcO8080ovB6U78RnEUVVc1wqpLlk

The indicators have now been refitted to the bumper along with newly manufactured stainless fittings to secure the lower valance because the originals were a mess/missing and also the various required jacknuts.

LjJ4ugiZeRQqW5S-2MGO9FJwknzP2mrYGesZN7-s

DyGvfXP99P32nply--rWWD09bthYDRMqjieK5uB8

While the bumper has been on hold waiting for the indicators to return I've done a few other small bits and pieces. I replaced the four fittings in the front corners of the body shell that the bumper corners secure to because again they were either absent or not in very good shape, so stainless replacements have gone in their place. Accessing the brackets in front of the head lamp pods were an utter sod to get at.

S-__HkBdME0K6HE_1DUYHQJDj6-QBofjLlirUHmF

1D6L12_gNDWItPnRHWEo3Q2DxEVf8a5tX0EO17Eu

I've also fitted the boot infill panel and replaced the shabby heat reflective covering in that area too.

2WEMr0hQLDL8nEs4r8xdVYCodtB4NA9pCjVWKiO5

And finally I've set up the new wastegate actuator.

U1Dl6spwUKLnd39lnFjBbHELwjJg5i_G-42AHfCD

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get teh bumper back on the car and then I can finish tackling the front end rebuild in earnest.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Photos have been taken on the same phone and uploaded from the same place as all my other posts. I can see the photos still so I guess the update could have had something to do with it.

• Gold FFM

Has the update changed the way the images are handled @Bibs. I normally paste the link from google photos into the post and then the forum seems to automatically upload the image to the AWS S3 location, but it doesn't seem to have done that this time, its just left the google link. Also, how do I edit the post to try and correct the images, or am I goint to have to create a duplicate post?

You can only edit for an hour.

Yes, after the photobucket screw up the forum software hosts the image in an Amazon bucket so they're never going to be lost again.

https://medium.com/@AxelUnlimited/how-photobucket-broke-the-internet-and-why-you-should-care-4a244bda6b7e

In this instance, Google photos didn't, and still won't allow anyone/thing to view the image so the forum software can't move it to our Amazon hosting. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Something has definitely changed, because the way I used to attach images now doesn't result in them being uploaded to S3 storage. Not sure if its the forum update or just a conincidence and Google changed something on their end and the forum software can't copy them now.

Only way I can seem to get it to work is to download all the images to my local machine and then attach them to the post, which is a bit of long winded process 🙁

• Gold FFM

Yeah, got it working by downloading the image to my PC and then attaching it to the post, was the only way I could get it to end up using the s3 URL instead of the Google one. I used to be able to just copy the link from Google Photos and the forum software seemed to automatically upload the image to the S3 bucket for me but that doesn't seem to want to work now

I'm just downloading all the photos to redo that previous post using the extra step.

• Gold FFM

Progress has been somewhat pedestrian of late for two reasons, the indicator reflectors (more on that in a moment) and because I had to partly repaint my previous bumper repair 🙁 After completing the previous paint efforts I went to move the bumper back out to the garage and as soon as I lifted it another of the previous fibreglass repairs decided to let got and another crack opened up so I had to repair and repaint it again 🤬 Its not perfect, but its passable until I can source a replacement bumper.

IMG_20200808_112057.thumb.jpg.2a0d9b268b1ce715789bee7d67d36cb4.jpg

IMG_20200815_195739.thumb.jpg.48d9869a5e07fc43bbabf56f0df1c4be.jpg

As for the front indicators, a previous painter had evidently seen fit to not bother masking them up and consequently they had yellow paint all over them and all my efforts to clean the paint off took the silver coating off with it. I tried a chrome spray paint and it was frankly rubbish so I ended up sending them away to a company called VMC in Chertsey to have a vacuum metalised chrome finish applied. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than buying a new pair of indicators and the reflective finish is a big improvment on the factory finish too

IMG_20200819_171606.thumb.jpg.dae6a421109d12984da22eb901dc7b40.jpg

Having got them back today I immediately set about replacing the side light bulb holders because they wouldn't stay put in the hole and also replaced the waterproof boot which necessitated cutting the holders off anyway.

IMG_20200819_182829.thumb.jpg.2aa56d5bb5715fc7d1323f929f844e52.jpg

IMG_20200819_184706.thumb.jpg.4d63db394886af72afa92a6968fff8b7.jpg

The indicators have now been refitted to the bumper along with newly manufactured stainless fittings to secure the lower valance because the originals were a mess/missing and also the various required jacknuts.

IMG_20200815_184751.jpg.91239a1c84401d8ffb02e82321a65d5d.jpg

IMG_20200815_195511.thumb.jpg.9c6e0b387acb603deb0191d0362f26d5.jpg

While the bumper has been on hold waiting for the indicators to return I've done a few other small bits and pieces. I replaced the four fittings in the front corners of the body shell that the bumper corners secure to because again they were either absent or not in very good shape, so stainless replacements have gone in their place. Accessing the brackets in front of the head lamp pods were an utter sod to get at.

IMG_20200815_183449.thumb.jpg.856b96f9c8768e2dbe9560a29ea2700e.jpg

IMG_20200810_174111.thumb.jpg.eac02b4dddd181672bcf82b043d4ab58.jpg

I've also fitted the boot infill panel and replaced the shabby heat reflective covering in that area too.

IMG_20200808_200751.thumb.jpg.bf0742e4ba9e3a379d92643dea305b27.jpg

And finally I've set up the new wastegate actuator.

IMG_20200819_194810.thumb.jpg.6ab251b9ddcf7fe227784654bd3083d7.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get the bumper back on the car and then I can finish tackling the front end rebuild in earnest.

• Like 2

Impressive stuff, Tom. I’m interested in getting the front indicators re-chromed, but drew a blank on who can do it. In any case I never bothered removing the front bumper, after taking one look at it, and realising what a complete ball ache it would be.

Margate Exotics.