Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tight fit Garages - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tight fit Garages

• Gold FFM

Not sure if its me getting older or me getting fatter but finding it increasingly difficult getting in and out. I certainly can’t remember the Esprits being this tight. 

Each time I get in - open drivers door, reach in, put key in ignition and turn. Put drivers window down. Now I can squeeze my small frame in. And then repeat but harder to exit car. At least the Evora has frameless windows. I’m not sure if it would be doable in an Esprit anymore. So who else sticks carpet on the garage wall then?

81512341-0C63-4420-914C-A50952657F47_zps

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Only way I could see that work is motorized pads that shift the car all the way to one side (with about an inch clearance and then shift it back to center once in.

Or do like I did when searching for a house :   "find me a 2 car garage with some sort of house attached"     😜

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, comem47 said:

Or do like I did when searching for a house :   "find me a 2 car garage with some sort of house attached"     😜

This is two car garage unfortunately with a damn supporting wall between the two garages. 👎

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

25 minutes ago, mayevora said:

This is two car garage unfortunately with a damn supporting wall between the two garages. 👎

Can you not fit a steel beam then knock the wall down?

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Spinney said:

Can you not fit a steel beam then knock the wall down?

Most likely yes. It’s definitely an option. 

I'd definitely be going down that route if I were you. Oh and yes, I have carpet on my garage wall too, albeit I can pretty much open the door wide without it touching. It's only there in case I park a bit too near the wall.:)

Many years ago I had a garage just like the OPs picture, and I had an Excel at the time. I cured the problem of not being able to get out by making a kind of recess which looked like a fireplace, by removing a section of the inner block wall and putting a lintel above it, so the drivers door would open into the recess.

• Gold FFM
On 01/02/2019 at 00:13, mayevora said:

Not sure if its me getting older or me getting fatter but finding it increasingly difficult getting in and out. I certainly can’t remember the Esprits being this tight. 

Each time I get in - open drivers door, reach in, put key in ignition and turn. Put drivers window down. Now I can squeeze my small frame in. And then repeat but harder to exit car. At least the Evora has frameless windows. I’m not sure if it would be doable in an Esprit anymore. So who else sticks carpet on the garage wall then?

81512341-0C63-4420-914C-A50952657F47_zps

Are you sure you are parked in a garage? :shock: 

What about a rail system that goes along the ground. Has a rolling frame on it that you pull the car up onto outside the garage where you exit with all the finesse of a swan.

Once out, you push a button on the controller and the car on its platform slowly trundle into the garage. All in the middle, no wall carpetting etc. Alsways far enough in to never get caught by any closing doors etc.

Press another button to get the vehicle out again.

Maybe I have just though up an idea to sell. How can I patent that real quick?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Or you could just drive the car in just far enough to still be able to open the doors and push it the last few meters. That's something I do when the Workshop is crowded and I need to squeeze one more car in. Only works on a nice level surface off course, easy with a Lotus, bit harder with a Range Rover (but good exercise). Do put a block of wood or similar in front of the wheels, and possibly one behind as well so the car can't roll. 

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 31/01/2019 at 21:51, mayevora said:

Surely the sensible thing to do is to reverse in so the door opens in the centre!

That is the most fcuked up totally useless double garage design I have ever seen. Whomever designed it and the built it should be shot for crimes against motor vehicles.

This is kinda what you want!

garage 1.jpg

garage 2.jpg

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I agree. Mine isn't finished yet. The walls will have studs added, insulation boards fitted and then either taped &seamed plasterboard or 12/18mm plywood sheets on top, all painted.  

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

The garage is the most important room in the house so why leave it bare breeze blocks, it should be finished to the same standard as the rest of the house.

20190203_115443.jpg

What, you don’t have carpet in your house? And where’s the curtains?

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.