Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 3 - Type 130 - Lotus Evija - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

Tex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 hours ago, Cypriot said:

, the only real party piece for cars like this is the performance figures.  Which become obsolete overnight. 

That is the thing about electric cars like this, the performance figures don’t relly become obsolete quickly because electricity allows you so much output that the bit that becomes obsolete is the battery capacity/autonomy which would not really be relevant for a car like this.

I am sure that Lotus went with the all electric because it was the simplest way to ensure a care that does 0-60 in sub 2 seconds depending on tires. The question will be all in the package, can they make the car light, can they make it turn like nothing else and most important how desirable would they look from the outside.

I hope they design it in a way where people can swap batteries as battery technology improves to make it even better.

If kids want to get the poster this will be a success and will create the clients of the future. The real issue of lotus is there there aren’t enough clients (even if many of us own more than one!!!) for its sustainability so anything that widen the pool has to be good.

Edited by PAR

12 hours ago, PAR said:

That is the thing about electric cars like this, the performance figures don’t relly become obsolete quickly because electricity allows you so much output that the bit that becomes obsolete is the battery capacity/autonomy which would not really be relevant for a car like this.

I suppose I wasn't explaining myself properly.  You are absolutely correct with this statement.  What I was trying to say is that with electric powertrains, they are all the same, except in their performance.  Whereas with an internal combustion engine you have all manner of ways of proceeding.  Turbos, NA, supercharged, hybrid, V engines, straight, flat, manual/automatic.  Each one gives you different characteristics, and this is the thing that doesn't become obsolete.  In contrast, electric cars can only vary in the size of battery.  The delivery of that power is identical from the most humble of electric cars all the way up to a Rimac - just in varying degrees of intensity.  And it is the intensity that becomes obsolete extremely quickly due to advancements in batter tech.

• Like 1

We should probably re-name this new breed of electric vehicle as HYPErcars.

They will have ridiculous stats and none of us on here will ever own one.

As for the Type 130, do we assume it's a Lotus body on that Williams chassis / powetrain? I hope they've remembered to install an emergency release over-ride cable for that motorized electric socket cover...

I also think that the rumoured 7 figure price is looking extremely optimistic, considering that the recently announced Ferrari SF90 Stradale with 1000bhp V8 twin turbo hybrid power s expected to retail at less than half of that.

47 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I also think that the rumoured 7 figure price is looking extremely optimistic, considering that the recently announced Ferrari SF90 Stradale with 1000bhp V8 twin turbo hybrid power s expected to retail at less than half of that.

Yeah, but compared to Ferrari's a Lotus is much rarer. :)

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

6 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

We should probably re-name this new breed of electric vehicle as HYPErcars.

They will have ridiculous stats and none of us on here will ever own one.

As for the Type 130, do we assume it's a Lotus body on that Williams chassis / powetrain? I hope they've remembered to install an emergency release over-ride cable for that motorized electric socket cover...

I think it is wrong to compare the upcoming SF90 to the Type 130, it will be done off course but they are not in the same class. the SF90 is clearly an evolved F8 tributo aluminium chassis with e-awd. It is the next gen of Ferrari production supercars, a course correction from Ferrari to show a certain company in Woking and elsewhere that they are still the Daddy. If you have the right amount of money and Ferrari agrees with your credentials anybody will be able to buy it, if not you still have the pour people version, the F8 Tributo which is the non-hybrid version with all the good last gen stuff. 

Meanwhile the Type 130 will get everything besposke. The way the car has been described, it is a Lotus carbon chassis and not the Williams skate, the Williams power unit is stored behind the passenger according to Carr https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27148491/lotus-type-130-electric-hypercar-confirmed/

The car I would compare the Type 130 have been mentioned before and they belong to the hypercar category : Aston Martin Valkyrie, maybe but not really as this will I guess be the last analog hypercar, Pininfarina Baptista, Rimac C2 are more the true competition but they are far from being household names. Porsche must be up to something, they are too quiet and the 918 successor should be around the corner. As for Lotus, they are pushing the envelop, where they can, they are going carbon chassis on a production car, they are going electric because this is where their overarching  group is going. and as Feng said Lotus is now the Vanguard of Geely Group https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/lotus-plots-expansion-include-more-sports-cars-and-suv

ps: if Just like Valkyrie for Aston Martin Type 130 will signal the new design and engineering direction Lotus is going, the next sport car will likely come hybrid considering they want it to be a daily driver hybrid is for the time being where tech takes us for the next 5-10years. if it is a V6 hybrid it may be ballistic, with BHP numbers starting where Lotus currently stops. 

• Like 1

Well said Dan, I think we all have complained about Lotus wrong doings over the last few years some a lot more than others, sadly this iconic brand as just become  some kind of punching bag even in its own community,  it’s great to read a positive comment and totally agree with everything you have said and like you can not wait for the 16th, I truly believe this will be one of the most iconic days in Lotus history.

• Like 1

Vapourware - a somewhat pejorative term!  A concept at this stage indeed, as all such projects start from, but with some interesting other parties named, and specifics.

A Cosworth 4.0-litre NA V12, revving to 12,100rpm and making 650hp. Xtrac-developed six-speed manual. Collaboration with a F1 team. A wind tunnel developed 400mm ground effect fan. Ambitious perhaps, but the F1 happened.

Until fully developed versions are in the hands of ordinary purchasers, all new models are to some degree unrealised - recall Bahar’s motor show clays? The Type 130 remains so at this time. And when it is? A largely unusable technical extravagance - IMO of course!  (On another thread I estimated the limited battery life if the power was actually used meaningfully.)  So I know where my £2m will not be heading ....... er.....would not.

10 hours ago, mdavies said:

a somewhat pejorative term!  

Absolutely, it is! Murray has announced plenty of projects over the past few years (revolutionary city car, new light sports car, V8 sports car, hypercar etc etc) but none of them have actually come to fruition. Even the new TVR is on the rocks, apparently. 

So, absolutely this car is yet more ‘vapourware’. I’ll believe when I see it (in the metal) etc etc

No arguing with the facts you state, Jonny. My point is the comparison of the two concepts. If your forecast proves correct perhaps I should be pleased: no car will sort of cancel out no lottery win! 

Edited by mdavies

Mailing from Goodwood Festival of Speed giving an overview of what we can expect. Lotus is partner and following was mentioned:

The all‑electric halo hypercar

Catch a glimpse of Lotus' bold and exciting future which begins with the astonishing Type 130 electric hypercar. It will leave you in no doubt that the pioneering spirit of innovation which created the Type 25 is alive and well at Hethel. 

With the unveiling scheduled in London 16 July, what glimpse will we be seeing a week earlier...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

TLF will be at both events, I'll add pics to this thread, our homepage and facebook/insta feeds.

We need a live feed :)

• Like 2

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

So two days time then?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

18 hours ago, Bibs said:

It's still June in the UK, didn't realise you were so far ahead in Oz :lol:

Almost PMSL at this reply!

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM

Ok. So I obviously have made a faux pas. I had the 16th right. The next bit I mistakenly made into June (06) when it should have been July (07).

So the date is actually the 16/07/2019. I said 16/06/2019. So out of the 8 digits that make the date up I only had one incorrect. An error of only 12.5%. If we take this further, I was only incorrect by 1 out of a possible 12. An error of only 8.3%.

If we now look at that, it is only an incorrect statement of 1.04%.

Only means you would get there early.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

At this point Michael I’d like to wish you a very Happy Birthday for early August. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!