Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Preemptive maintenance or 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Preemptive maintenance or 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'?

RobinB5

• Gold FFM

Was wondering what people's opinions are with regards 2 opposing schools of thought about maintenance:

On the one side there is a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach, which is fine and cost effective until something does brake, possibly when you're driving, leaving you stranded.

On the other side is a more preemptive approach, fixing things that have a higher probability of failure, a priori, to hopefully ensure each and every journey is breakdown free. But sure, potentially more costly in the long run.

The far extreme being a nuts and bolts restoration, most costly by far, but recreating production level reliability.

With the wealth of knowledge and experience documented on TLF, and given an Esprit with a documented maintenance history, I'd have thought someone might have created a 'to do' list of pressing required maintenance activities?

Although reading TLF posts is somewhat akin to reading the reviews on TripAdvisor (if you only did that you'd never go on holiday), there are common issues that arise, each with their own probability.

Has anyone considered creating a probability list of commonly encountered failures, derived from the 1000s of TLF posts? (I'm sure regular and long term contributors to TLF have an intuitive feeling of such a list already?)  Would be fascinating. Might even form the basis of a business model should anyone be so inclined! There are those of us who might like to invest in a preemptive maintenance schedule as we don't have the mechanical skills to perform them ourselves but would be willing to annually invest in such preemptive work, if nothing else to to pay for peace of mind! :)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Points well taken @Sparkyregarding the service schedule. I suppose that was evolved based on assumed required maintenance to start with and adapted over the years by Lotus based on experience and warranty claims. I'm not au fait with all the service schedule items but I do wonder if fuel tank breather tube integrity and fuel tank corrosion were specifically covered for example? Or what other somewhat common faults required at least checking.

Maybe put it another way, if the service schedule was to be defined today in conjunction with a 20+ year warranty (if only), I wonder what the complete list of those items might be and checked on what time frequency?

• Gold FFM

Most important thing to check is it boosts nicely at 100% WOT 🤪

Your next list on PRA is drop the rad pack. Most other things are in order. I’m sure there was a service checklist in the workshop manual 👍

breakdown cover is useful - but I’ve never needed to use it (yet)

• Like 1

Only here once

A Shipright's Disease list of things to do when the engine and trans are out would be a Good Thing. (Isn't that the FIRST thing that @Barrykearley does on any new acquisition?):yes:

With the Esprit, its not the cost of parts that are ex$pensive, it's the labor, especially when paying a shop.

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, andydclements said:

I'm with Sparky, but also take account of the parts coming off Vs quality of the replacement. If you take off a part that was good for 30yrs so obviously relative free of manufacturing defect, and replace it with the cheapest compatible item, then expect to introduce problems.

Had this with the brake pedal switch. Original was assumed faulty, bought a new one (from SJ), it failed. Went back and cleaned the connectors of the original, all fine now. Lotus might be accused of using cheap parts sometimes, but compared to modern cheaper equivalents, maybe not so bad.

• Like 1

Pre-emptive all the way; if the Esprit breaks down at the side of the road in the pissing rain in the middle of nowhere, I want to be able to say to the wife it wasn't anything I did, or didn't do.

Ignorance and bodgery are the biggest problems for an Esprit.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, RobinB5 said:

Does anyone use Espritmon for anything more than fault finding once a fault has been identified?

@sailorbob is your man 👍

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I’ve a mate who is in charge of planned maintenance on 3000 vans and vehicles. The data they use is very interesting. They deliberately keep their fleets to only a few varieties of van all of which are the same spec. They normally find issues before main dealers even know about them and they address accordingly on a preemptive basis - pulling vehicles in for routine checks and services early when they do find something.

You need  a very big sample to do this - a few Esprit owners finding interesting issues over the years isn’t a good base for data analysis 

Only here once

Agree with Sparky. In 29 years the S3 Esprit has broken down on me only once which I put down to it being properly serviced every year irrespective of mileage.

The Essex never and the Elise only once in 17 years. All are properly (GST) serviced.

Key is to buy one that's been looked after or spend the money getting it back to how it should be.

28 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

You need  a very big sample to do this - a few Esprit owners finding interesting issues over the years isn’t a good base for data analysis 

It's a good start though

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

10 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

@Jacques, @Chillidoggy, beyond just the standard maintenance schedule, what diagnostics do you perform to identify any required preemptive maintenance?

I always have the car up on the lift every two weeks and check to see if there’s anything amiss, and if there is I decide when it needs fixing, triage style.  I’ll only run Freescan if I think there’s an engine problem, or at the beginning of the year when it returns to the road.

The car gets what it needs. I don’t run it on a shoestring because I know that sooner or later the string will break. This pedantic approach has served me well, in 5 years and 17,000 miles its never been on a recovery truck.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Thanks all! This is excellent advice :) I assume the regular checks are all visual? Or do you use any instruments? What generally do you look for? Connections? Any leaks (obvs)? Anything else? Any common go-to points that you focus on?

• 2 years later...

Holy thread resurrection! 

I just read Sparky's 'List'O'Doom' and found myself nodding at every line.

Half of the things i had to do to get my S4 roadworthy, the remainder I'm tackling as we speak with an engine out refresh (along with revisiting some of the first half items)

Question for the brain trust however... Balance hoses. Stick with the exorbitant 1980s technology OEM or replace with something different?