Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1994~5 Esprit S4 Clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1994~5 Esprit S4 Clutch

ramjet

• Gold FFM

Quick question for any owners of the above or round about that time.

I just had a guy come and have a look at my car today. While he said he could live with getting in and out, even though he bumped his head getting in, he was not happy with the weight of the clutch and considers ti to be far too heavy.

He compared it to his Holden Ute that he drove around and if I compare it to my Holden Rodeo, yes it is heavy. Steve Taylor, who has had my car and done a bit of work for me, said that he thought my car was a great example of an S4. I have no other S4 to compare it to though.

The weight of the clutch has never bothered me and still doesn't. I am a fair bit younger than Bernie though.

So after all that, the questions is whether anybody else considers their clutch to be quite heavy?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, they are heavy. But there is an assist spring available (B082J6144F). I remember reading in the SE workshop manual the assist spring can be removed for a more sporty driving experience. Neither of my SEs had it fitted, I certainly never considered getting one. But if the heavy clutch is bothering your potential buyer, it might be an easy solution.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I thought the assistor spring was fitted to the 300 Sport & S4s only as their clutch is twice as heavy as an S4. It's not just the spring though, you need some bracketry as well . I had the spring fitted to my S4s & it about halved the required pedal pressure. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, jonwat said:

I thought the assistor spring was fitted to the 300 Sport & S4s only as their clutch is twice as heavy as an S4. It's not just the spring though, you need some bracketry as well . I had the spring fitted to my S4s & it about halved the required pedal pressure. :thumbup:

That’s very interesting to know. SJ list the springs which @Escape mentioned but there’s some other bits needed as wellA49D8DA6-47F4-45C0-A5B5-768D806A6923.thumb.jpeg.e65eb85d36923b0e020c597b19f2b971.jpeg

• Like 1

Only here once

Pretty sure I came across the spring when researching clutch adjustment after putting the engine back in my first SE (turned out to be air trapped somewhere), but I can't remember where.

And yes, sorry, I only listed the spring, not the bracketery that goes with it. My parts cat lists it as an option, but doesn't mention it's for the Sport 300 or S4s only.

Filip 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

I am going to have a look under the dash again to make sure that the rod is in the correct hole on the pedal as well.

I am positive is as if I recall, the pedal only has one hole for the rod..

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

2 hours ago, Escape said:

My parts cat lists it as an option, but doesn't mention it's for the Sport 300 or S4s only.

The spring was factory fitted to the first Sport 300s  but then then Lotus had a change of heart & instructed dealers to remove them as it gives an "over centre" feel to the clutch pedal travel which was deemed to be "not sporting for a racer like the Sport 300".  :driving:

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

He did say he was going to bring around his Pearl White car to show me how a clutch should feel on a well engineered car.

It is a 930. Wish I hadn't caught who it was made by.

It does not have to be heavy if a proper MC is installed! Mine was heavy, but couple experiments yielded v. good results.

Here is what U need:

0.70" dia Wilwood PN# 260-6579 has a proper 1.4" stroke and 0.53" volume!
Bore Size .70
Area (in²) 0.380
Stroke 1.40
Volume (cu in) 0.53

https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd?itemno=260-2636

Make sure you have a specific slave cylinder: LAND ROVER EARLY SERIES 2 / 2A CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER for 4 & 6 PETROL AND DIESEL fits all Esprits with Renault transaxle. You may need a  threaded adapter to connect the pressure line. I used  Fragola 650402 Brake System Adapter -4AN to 3/8-24 I.F. Male Straight Fitting

Beware:  Land Rover series III (3)  DOES NOT Fit dimensionally !

When you're there" you may want to flip the SC - so the bleeder is at the highest point. It makes expelling air easier.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2019 at 20:51, s4simon said:

He's a pussy.

It is heavy when compared to mass produced numpty buckets.

I prepare any one who sets foot into my S4 to have a go at the clutch, and they're all shocked at how heavy it is compared to their 1.0 litre barinas.

After 15 years of ownership my left leg is far larger than the right, and thus I always seem to walk in circles...  

Lol... classic. I agree completely. At least you get a good feel of it, not like stepping on a pillow. My new Caterham has a heavy clutch also, and by far the old cabled clutch in my '77 Elite takes the cake! Hope you didn't let him drive it. Probably took two years off the life of it if he did

You should've pulled him out by the scruff of the neck and told him this cars not for you, come back when you put your big boy pants on.  Hahaha..

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

• Gold FFM

Didn't have to. He decided it wasn't for him. I got a lot of "I'm an engineer and this is poorly engineered! I'd have to fix this! This is terrible!"

To each their own. He then drove off in his Holden Ute which he says, "Since it has a bigger engine with more power, therefore has a heavier clutch but it is light as a feather."

Power delivery is completely different, but who am I to argue?

I reckon that guy was a tyre kicker.

When the time comes to sell mine I dread having to deal with that breed. I'm thinking no test drives before an agreed price and refundable deposit.

Any ideas how to cull out the dreamers?

• Like 1

DanR

I wrote my own 3 page contract, which I would send out to interested people.  Seemed to minimise wannabes.

First visit was always 'look only' and I'd take them for a test drive. Gather their details and run some google searches.

Second visit (if still interested) was their test drive.

But in the end gave it to Richmonds here in Adelaide.  Told them the price I wanted and they handled the rest.  All to easy. They put four new tyres on, replaced the rear struts and fixed a few niggles  - all at their own cost.

CONTRACT FOR SELLING CAR 2018.pdf

• Like 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017