Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Concorde Memorabilia - Page 4 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Concorde Memorabilia

Sparky

Love Concorde. Gutted I never got to fly in it. Just as it was de-commissioned I started doing a lot of business trips and may have swung a flight in it. Such an icon. 

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well I guess the most important clue is what you can’t see, namely the aircraft from which the photograph has been taken. No-one gets that sort of picture of Concorde in flight, unless it’s been specially staged. Also very few fixed wing aircraft would give you such a view. Exceptions would include large RAF cargo aircraft like a C-17 or Hercules, with their rear ramp door open.

Bibs with his drone in the early days.

Concorde Flown by Chief Concorde Pilot Mike Bannister, Senior 

First Officer Jonathan Napier and Senior Engineer Officer David Hoyle.?

Was it something to do with the Queen’s Golden Jubilee fly past in June 2002? I just watched some shonky Sky News video of it. There was a C-17, but that was at the head of the fly past and Concorde was at the tail, flanked by the Red Arrows. Also the weather looked overcast and dull, so I am not convinced that I am on the right track.

By the way, watching the 2002 Sky clip made me feel very old: the fly past included two Canberras, a Nimrod, VC-10, Tristar etc. Even the Tornado GR4s were reported as being new. There was a sole Typhoon from BAe but it wasn’t yet in service.

Edit: no I’ve just contradicted myself. Buckingham Palace fly pasts come down the A12 corridor over Essex, so there’s no chance of seeing a Concorde heading East over London City Airport.

Keith, are you referring to the final ex JFK flight on 24.10.2003, when 3 BA Concordes landed at LHR? I remember watching them from afar through my binoculars, as the sun was starting to set. They did come in to land from the East so must have traversed London before turning.

3 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Well I guess the most important clue is what you can’t see, namely the aircraft from which the photograph has been taken. No-one gets that sort of picture of Concorde in flight, unless it’s been specially staged. Also very few fixed wing aircraft would give you such a view. Exceptions would include large RAF cargo aircraft like a C-17 or Hercules, with their rear ramp door open.

It was obviously taken from a Canberra 😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

are you referring to the final ex JFK flight on 24.10.2003, when 3 BA Concordes landed at LHR?

The 3 flew over Buckingham Palace, low altitude and were climbing under mild power as they came over Fulham towards Heathrow. Quite a sight and sound. 

Justin 

• Gold FFM

Sit still @Sparky, you'll do yourself an injury.

I thought that it originally looked like a photoshop job. Almost looks like a fake.

Since there are signed prints of it, it isn't a fake though and so after all of that, I haven't got a bloody clue. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

18 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

last flight from New York to London 24th October 2022

Last passenger flight was 2003, 24th October. Typo eBay listing. The 3 from JFK was later the same year, not sure the date. The final flight was 26th November 2003 to Filton, Bristol.

concorde-over-clifton-suspension-bridge.jpg

Justin 

5 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I'm getting really twitchy now.

So lets have a countdown, before we all pass away waiting

• Gold FFM

And the photo that Bibs asked about was an extra photo left over from when Maverick & Goose did the inversion thing with the MIG.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I'd like to see the Concorde one day. Should have gone and had a look when were over there. Probably didn't have time with the tour we were on though. Can't really remember.

Maybe one day.