Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stevens Esprit or Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Stevens Esprit or Evora

LOTUSMAN33

I have to ask the question;

Stevens Esprit or Evora?

After being an Esprit owner countless times and about to buy another my son asked me a question after looking at classifieds, he likes the Exige or new Europa which I must admit I was considering as quite rare with limited production but know I would only lust after my Esprit addiction! 🙄

I know from years on the forum that members have jumped from Esprit ownership to the Evora and the lad has been putting adverts under my nose so what are your views?

My budget will be an Evora NA so more or less entry level at sub £25k, my mind is pretty much set on an early Esprit SE as always liked that model of Stevens and with advice won’t have the abs issues or Cat exhaust like the later S4. I have found what seems a nice example as well but not viewed yet.

There doesn’t seem to be many early Evora’s on the market at the moment both in trade or private form to choose from so just a couple options.

What are they like to own, anyone knocked up high mileage, running costs with road tax and servicing? I like working on my own cars so are they difficult and suffer sensor issues?

As a creature of habit moving away from Giugiaro to a Stevens is a big step but do like the Evora and it looks more spacious being over 6ft, as I’m doing another Mk1 Mini restoration at the moment the car will spend some time parked on the drive which was another reason for going with injection on the Esprit hoping a Stevens car would cope better with the weather and daily use commuting when possible.

Also has anyone gone the other way and jumped back to Esprit ownership?

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What a choice, no certainly not going to be involved in making this easy for you 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

There is more value in buying such an esprit but the Evora will be a lot more comfortable/usable. The staying outside for a moment seems to suggest an Evora.

The main issue is that with this budget, you are pretty restricted in Evora choice so you won’t get a big jump in performance compared to an esprit.

The sensors are a bit sensitive, electronics are the weakness of the car but NA probably the better car for that.

• Like 1

Makes sense, for me it is all about low down power these days as roads just don’t permit the driving pleasure of 20 years ago, even round town driving is very dull with heavy traffic, I am nearly an hour from the closest motorway as well.

To enjoy driving is to get up early and hit the A and B roads weekends, is the clutch heavy in the Evora or would the auto option be a good idea, is it troublesome?

For me unless lucky the Esprit’s are getting older and although there are some lovely clean examples body and interior wise as soon as you get underneath the love has stopped with rust and crud, oil weeping etc making a search for a good car quite tough.

I am yet to drive an Evora or certainly start looking at the undersides to see how they have survived many winters.

• Like 1

You have got to try an Evora. Having owned mine since early 2018, I could not be without it now. I am selling my Excel in part due to how usable, practical and enjoyable the Evora is.

My first Lotus in 92 was a S1 Esprit. I have owned nearly every Esprit variant since, my last in 2005 or thereabouts, a Sport 300. I have considered many times a return to Esprit, offered on a Turbo G in 2016 but the buyer changed their mind.

The Evora has really put my Esprit urge to bed for a while. Of course I go weak when I see any Esprit, especially the line-up at Brooklands on New Years day but the Evora is such a brilliant drive, looks stunning, has rear seats, is basically bulletproof mechanically, has a novel and fun interior, is easier in poor weather and the early cars are somewhere near the bottom of the depreciation curve. 

An early car sold recently for £15k with I think 120,000 miles. 

Yes, the clutch is heavy on the early models but you get use to it very quickly. Normal driving it is no issue, only prolonged stop/start and then only if it is for a significant period. 

Go and drive one! A decent Lotus dealer will let you have a run out. I think the clutch got lighter on MY12, so get out in an early car if that is what you expect to own. 

There is a value Sport Racer on Pistonheads at the moment, a bit above your budget but clutch done and full history. 2013 car for 28K. 

I should change my user name to 'Scratched Record'.

Justin 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys that really has got me thinking now, trouble living all the way down in Plymouth is even to view most cars is 3-4 hours away as little comes up down here.

Like you I have owned most Esprit’s from S1, 2, 3, Carb Turbo’s and a V8 with only the injected 4 pot missing hence the SE thought.

The Lotus cars I used most though were my M100’s which are superb cars and my SE Excel many years ago.

I think a road trip to at least try an Evora with the lad is definitely the way forward before jumping into another Esprit.

My fear is I will step on the Evora ladder and start lusting after the next model 😂

Forgive me but what is a LE?

LE is Launch Edition. The first cars in 09. 

I would say, many early cars do not have close ratio gearbox. A must for me. Also, Sport Pack is important to many. This includes a SPORT button on the dash that increases throttle response. A must-have in my view, some disagree but please do your research and ensure you get what you want having researched the options. 

Justin 

• Thanks 1

Okay getting the terminology now, LE= Launch Edition.

Yes Justin you’re right it is without supercharger so normally aspirated, I quite like the grey one which is well spec’d at sensible money on Pistonheads?

Is rear vision that restricted you need a camera?

• Gold FFM

The sport button increases both throttle response and redline I believe - someone also hinted it does something to the traction control program as well. The button is great - changes the throttle feel completely.

rear vision isn’t superb for parking - the camera is useful more than essential 

• Thanks 1

Only here once

I have a camera but don't really use it. Useful for tight spaces but the Evora is much easier to park than an Excel. I actively dislike any modern parking aids, so you are probably asking the wrong chap. 

I like the grey one on Pistonheads but that is the best colour for Evora. 😀. It is fully loaded, as I think the LE were. If the mileage is genuine and full history,  it is fairly priced. The dealer selling it works from home, has been around for years but I would not 100% trust him to tell the full story or to offer much back-up after the sale. Bell and Colvill he is not. I doubt he will know if it has CR gearbox, you may have to ask Hethel. 

Justin 

Thanks Justin, I have just messaged him to ask a few questions as awfully long way to travel for nothing. It looks like a nice motor and as you say with good mileage as well.

How much is the road tax on these cars out of curiosity?

Are they heavy on tyre wear?

£315 road fund license.

Tyres seem very light use in normal road use, motorway, fast A and B roads and a bit of hooning. 

I would venture to suggest that fuel economy would surpass a Turbo Esprit. However, I don't worry about or measure fuel consumption so I may be wrong. 

Justin 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Yes that S looks lovely on Pistonheads in white, long way from me In Yorkshire though, that would take some grovelling with the boss 🤣

I suspect that the white car is now sold. 😉 (It appeared in the ‘Evora Market Watch’ thread a few days ago). 

To @LOTUSMAN33, I’m sure that @The Pits can help you compare an Esprit to an Evora. He owns both.  

Hi, the white Sports Racer is mine :) It certainly isn't sold, although there's been some interest now I've dropped it to what in my eyes is an absolute bargain price. I still expect it to take a while to sell though, it's not really the right time of year for most people.

The car  has been my daily driver for 18 months and wants for nothing. It's now tucked up safely in the garage as I've just got a more sensible commuting car.

• Like 2

Lovely looking car just out of my ever increasing budget, the boss would kill me as promised her a new car last year, thankfully her taste is far less extravagant with a Picanto or I10 Automatic 🤢.

I really need to stay below the budget as her car will be over £8k 🙄

I’m sure that sport model in such a nice colour will be snapped up in the spring Stephen.

• Like 1

Surprised at the lack of emphasis in most (not all) comments so far on what was for me a critical factor in choosing both my Evoras. Whether the initial "long" gearbox or the so-called CR box (but to many a "normal" box). Not as easy as LE versus the rest.  Every press road test LE had the CR box and it was standardised a year or two after the 2010 LE. Pointers?

I'm not getting into a pros/cons debate about this. Been and done several times here.

Easy check (approximate figures from memory, but close):  top gear, either 37mph/1000 or 27mph/1000.

Also I would research fully the operational differences between the NA and the S.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

... promised her a new car ... a Picanto

I really need to stay below the budget as her car will be over £8k 🙄

What about a second hand picanto and an air freshener?  Plenty for less than 500 pounds ! (Without the air freshener)

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Like you I have owned most Esprit’s from S1, 2, 3, Carb Turbo’s and a V8 with only the injected 4 pot missing hence the SE thought.

You’ve missed out on owning the very best of the bunch imho

Only here once