Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 38 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Only if the engine is very cold (low ambient temp or car unused for a while) should you need choke. 

No choke procedure: Two pumps of the accelerator, fully depressed pumps, and fire up. Don't throttle. If the carbs are set up correctly, that is the correct procedure and should work. 

Oil pressure takes a while to register and oil circulation is low for a few seconds on 9 series engine. Don't rev too high until the oil is fully circulating. 

Full choke is not advisable unless absolutely necessary as the revs will be high whilst the oil is trying to circulate. 

That's as I was advised by my experienced Lotus mechanic.

Justin 

• Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I always turn the engine over with no throttle or choke until the oil pressure gauge reads something. Just a few seconds in reality. 
I then do as Justin says and give it two full throttle pumps and it fires immediately. I may then add just the tiniest bit of choke for a few minutes to keep the revs from stalling whilst I manoeuvre out of the garage. 
As soon as I’ve done that she’s warm enough to run and drive but obviously not full beans until warmed through. 
My theory is that oil is moved around at starter motor speeds until she fires properly by which time, cold oil will have at least moved a bit 

• Like 1

Once the oil pressure is up, revving between 2,000 and 3,000 is good, much better than idle. The quicker an engine is warm, the better. At idle it takes much longer. 

Driving asap is best, keeping revs below 3,000 to 3,500 for approx 10 minutes whilst the oil warms - oil takes longer to warm than water. 

Modern engines are considerably more efficient at this process but I still take it gently for 10 mins in any vehicle. 

Justin 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the tips.  With electronic ignition in the distributor, what coil do you have ? Mine is 3ohms , but some use 1.5 ohms with electronic ignition.  
Today off side trim on.  

IMG_0025.jpeg

• Like 1

Tony 

33 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Where did you get the rubber window seal from Tony?

Pete

Hi Pete , this might sound strange but I purchased them from the Ford Capri owners club. Think i read about them on a post on here. It may have been a year or two. As you know I stopped working on it for a while.  They actually fit very nicely.  Well only done drivers side so far.  

• Like 1

Tony 

9 hours ago, Gray14 said:

Read recently: no choke, 3 pumps on the accelerator, which is what I've been doing, but it is a good starter.

And a nice strong battery makes a massive difference

Optima AGM battery was superb on my Excel. I never trickle charged it, just disconnected one terminal if not using for a while. I could return 6 months later and battery fine. 

Justin 

13 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

Hi Pete , this might sound strange but I purchased them from the Ford Capri owners club. Think i read about them on a post on here. It may have been a year or two. As you know I stopped working on it for a while.  They actually fit very nicely.  Well only done drivers side so far.  

Did mine many years ago, it really cuts down the amount of water let in to drip onto the door beam (though also have plastic guard to divert water over it) . Got it from a stall at a kit car show, image.png.012ab934ec4d1b69c945c1b91df20d12.png

• Like 2

Near side window trim on.  
IMG_0030.jpeg.ad063bd07b00c8670046fc29081a0ea8.jpeg

Well the car is coming quickly now.  
Now the brain is working overload, do I fit the seam trim? All the time I’ve had the car , and with so much to do I just said it looks fine without, saves another job. Now the end is insight, now thinking it might look better with it on.  
Is it easy to purchase and from where ?

• Like 1

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, tom kilner said:

There's a similar diagram says non-fed red 2.2 - would you like that too?

(I ignored lhd and federal, but I'm making assumptions)

Just needed to see voltage regulator wiring , as my copy hasn’t got it on.  
Alternator only charging 12 volts max.  
ignition light remains on.  
Car has been in deep sleep for years.  Last tax date 1990. 

Tony 

Hi Doris,

Engine bay?

If so then it looks like no11 in pic

image.jpeg.8ccbf9db63e3dc9b9b135c0cb47f8065.jpeg

"A075M6088Z - ALTERNATOR WARNING LAMP CONTROL UNIT
Used with Chrysler 60A alternator.

Hints and Tips: This is the replacement for the Lucas warning lamp control unit. The Chrysler 60A alternators were used on the early models. They are identified by being large and having lots of cooling fins."

image.png.e24c69e3408ca5e80dba2a6e8e84913b.png

If you need a new one and order it from SJS it will not look like this.  You will get a modern equivilant which is square and looks like a relay (ask me how I know) I have a spare one...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Hi Doris,

Engine bay?

If so then it looks like no11 in pic

image.jpeg.8ccbf9db63e3dc9b9b135c0cb47f8065.jpeg

"A075M6088Z - ALTERNATOR WARNING LAMP CONTROL UNIT
Used with Chrysler 60A alternator.

Hints and Tips: This is the replacement for the Lucas warning lamp control unit. The Chrysler 60A alternators were used on the early models. They are identified by being large and having lots of cooling fins."

image.png.e24c69e3408ca5e80dba2a6e8e84913b.png

If you need a new one and order it from SJS it will not look like this.  You will get a modern equivilant which is square and looks like a relay (ask me how I know) I have a spare one...

Absolutely spot on Trunnion. 
Thanks.  Not sure if it’s faulty , ignition light stays on.  But the wiring has loads of problems to sort.  
will order one.  

Tony 

Just cleaned my battery posts and inside of the connectors with abrasive paper and noticed a higher rate of charge showing from the alternator.

12 minutes ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Replacement Chrysler ones are available off eBay if you're interested I'll post the details.

I bought one December last year.

Roland

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364757206699

Thanks Roland, that makes sense to use one as I’ve just replaced regulator and warning lamp control unit.  
Had a Quick Look at ones on your link, my old one has a wire from one of the rectangular holes , bottom of alternator that goes to warning lamp.  Does yours have this ?

Tony