Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gulp- McLaren anyone - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gulp- McLaren anyone

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not even a discount! 

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

It's  all relative the cars probably worth £5million plus if not considerably more. 

One of my clients spent £70,000 on having a db5 engine rebuilt. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I hear it's £50k for new tyres as the car has to be run on a racetrack to allow setup to be done. So you have to pay for the tyres, a race track and staff to carry it out. 

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Yeah, maintenance on exotica is horrendously expensive.

Even on a lower level scale - I recall taking my car in for a service in the mid 90's  and there was a Fiat Coupe Turbo in at the same time for a 36k service and it needed its cam-belt changed. Unfortunately, for the owner, that was an 'engine-out' job and I seem to recall the engineer told be that the total service was going to cost over £5k  - so I guess that would d be about £10k in 'modern' money.

Obviously, small change compared to that  McLaren owner - but still, not something you really want to be presented with.

2 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

Yeah, maintenance on exotica is horrendously expensive.

Even on a lower level scale - I recall taking my car in for a service in the mid 90's  and there was a Fiat Coupe Turbo in at the same time for a 36k service and it needed its cam-belt changed. Unfortunately, for the owner, that was an 'engine-out' job and I seem to recall the engineer told be that the total service was going to cost over £5k  - so I guess that would d be about £10k in 'modern' money.

Obviously, small change compared to that  McLaren owner - but still, not something you really want to be presented with.

Its £3500 for a timing change on my alfa 159 3.2!!  the cars barely worth that.

Amateurs built the Ark

I wonder how much of that is actually necessary. Aside from resale value off course. But looking at it as a daily/regular driven car, as long as the clutch performs as it should, why change it? Same with the tires, would it really be noticeable if you just have them balanced separately instead of getting the entire car tracked and setup?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 19:20, Escape said:

I wonder how much of that is actually necessary. Aside from resale value off course. But looking at it as a daily/regular driven car, as long as the clutch performs as it should, why change it? Same with the tires, would it really be noticeable if you just have them balanced separately instead of getting the entire car tracked and setup?

To be fair whoever bought one back in day has made a mint, but there's no cheap way to run a £15m hyper car. 'Normal' Mac's are a lot more reasonable to service though... courtesy of B&C too these days!

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

18 minutes ago, Stirling_Villeneuve said:

To be fair whoever bought one back in day has made a mint, but there's no cheap way to run a £15m hyper car. 'Normal' Mac's are a lot more reasonable to service though... courtesy of B&C too these days!

That's provided they don't break first. consider your selves lucky that you have an independent like Thorny motorsport https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCETAOdRk1L98V8U9RyfMAEw

Personally unless I was a Gazinionair I wont touch a new one either.  

10 minutes ago, au-yt said:

That's provided they don't break first. consider your selves lucky that you have an independent like Thorny motorsport https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCETAOdRk1L98V8U9RyfMAEw

Personally unless I was a Gazinionair I wont touch a new one either.  

All I can say is I'm on my 2nd Mac, no real issues with either, the current one's cheaper to run and far more reliable than the wife's Audi... stunning cars but could be tempted back to Lotus someday. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stirling_Villeneuve said:

All I can say is I'm on my 2nd Mac, no real issues with either, the current one's cheaper to run and far more reliable than the wife's Audi... stunning cars but could be tempted back to Lotus someday. 

Out of curiosity do you pay the annual warranty and have a wheel alignment checked each year, as Thorny recon not one comes out of the factory as per their own settings.

14 minutes ago, au-yt said:

Out of curiosity do you pay the annual warranty and have a wheel alignment checked each year, as Thorny recon not one comes out of the factory as per their own settings.

Nope, I've had 2 Mac's both from new so in warranty. I've never had issues with alignment, my dealer's been good too with big improvements made over the past few years, it's great to see the independents coming onboard too, McLaren need that, so many cars out there now, the dealers are a bit swamped. I wouldn't want to own one without a warranty or taking out the annual once the original's run out, things can get out of hand very quickly if you're unlucky. Honestly though, I loved my Evora S and was apprehensive at first, I got in with the entry level 540 but I got hooked, I love the company,   it's hard not to miss Lotus cars after 30+ years of obsession, I'm excited to see what new Esprit's all about.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve
  • Like 1

That's very encouraging to read a good customer experience about Mclaren's. The internet is full of dreadful stories about the early cars.

I will also be interested to see what the new Esprit is all about except I still have the vice of my LOTUS dealer saying keep what you've got its got the Toyota motor

Both companies are fab in my book. Lotus for surviving and making special cars that are relatively cheap to run. The Elise is just so outstanding, always has been straight out the box. Evora is awe inspiring; just magical.

McLaren for having the balls to tell Merc to sling their hook. To make their own cars from scratch, the 12c a stunning debut, suspension system sublime, weight incredibly petite, luggage space make long tours a breeze, ridiculous performance and always special to be in the cabin be it at 50mph or 150. Warranty makes it stress-free. The much talked about issue has been the gearbox longevity but as that is Italian and the same make that F word use, it is hardly down to a lack of care by McLaren. They are young, they will have issues but they will overcome these. 

Evora is all you need. A McLaren is just an extra privilege if you are so inclined.

Justin 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jep said:

Evora is all you need. A McLaren is just an extra privilege if you are so inclined.

Justin 

Very true, I loved my Evora, just couldn't resist that extra stretch to a McLaren though. I'd love to see the companies pool resources, they're so similar in many ways, ethos, heritage. It'll never happen but hey... 

• Like 1

I really wanted a 12C before I bought the 400, but it was a stretch to buy. Added to this the added warranty and what I now know turned me off, shame I think the Mclaren Super Series are good things.

11 minutes ago, au-yt said:

I really wanted a 12C before I bought the 400, but it was a stretch to buy. Added to this the added warranty and what I now know turned me off, shame I think the Mclaren Super Series are good things.

400 is a good choice, does all one needs and more. Grace, space and pace (sorry Jaguar). No point in getting a McLaren if some bills will sully the experience. 

Justin 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jep said:

400 is a good choice, does all one needs and more. Grace, space and pace (sorry Jaguar). No point in getting a McLaren if some bills will sully the experience. 

Justin 

That sums up my situation very much. I am sure the Mclaren SS's would be good on Australia back roads, one thing I really like is as the R&T jurno's in 2017 put it, the EVORA 400 is a nice place to be at any speed where as others you have to up them for the rent to really enjoy

• Like 1